Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 03-21-2004, 07:28 PM
stalman

Default 10 speed

what is the difference betwwen a 10 speed and a super 10
Old 03-21-2004, 08:50 PM
randyc1959

Default 10 speed

The 10 speed is the traditional 5 low range and 5 high range. I think that the super 10 is partly automatic, you shift some and it shifts the others. I'm not real sure but I think that I'm on the right track anyway.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:51 PM
norwester

Default Randy is close.

The shift pattern looks the same as a standard 10 speed but you only move the lever to the next position "after" the second shift.

The number of conventional lever movements with the “Super 10” is half that of conventional 10-speeds. The range shift is triggered automatically as the operator moves the lever toward 7th gear position.

First position = 1st - 2nd
Second postion = 3rd - 4th
...and so on.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:34 PM
buzzard

Default 10 speed SUPER 10

O K children lets see if we can work our way through this.

A Super 10 is similar to a truck with a 5 speed main transmission and a 2-speed rear drive axle. Only every thing is in one box. This a weight saving plus fewer moving parts. And also runs a lot cooler than transmissions with 13 or 15 speeds , or even 18.

They are mostley desigened for weight saving and running on the Interstate Highway System.

Now for the Hard part, lets try to understand the shift pattern.

The shift pattern is the same as a 9 or 10 or 13 or 15 or 18 direct. Not Overdrive boxes as they usually have the 4th and 5th basic position reversed, USUALLY.

SOOOO we start out in the number 1 position LOW side then move the button and move in to number 1 position HIGH side without movining the stick.
Now comes the hard part kiddies so pay attention. We move the stick to the number 2 position while moving the button back and double clutching, and letting the engine RPM drop back. This results in number 3 gear or the LOW side of position 2.
Then we continue in this fashion, 2 HIGH, 3 LOW< 3 HIGH, 4 LOW, 4 HIGH, 5 LOW, 5 HIGH. Just like a truck with a 5 speed main and 2 speed rear.

An upshift may take a bit longer than a 9 or 10 speed depending on how long it takes the engine to wind DOWN. But a back shift is usually much faster, especially if going from HIGH to Low in the same position.

But in a real life situation depending on the horsepower available you will never move much more than the button from HIGH to LOW while on an Interstate highway.

The transmission can be shifted without using the clutch once you have things underway. BUT kiddies I recomend that you double clutch both up and down because most of you are not that good.

The transmission is manufactured by Fuller with the same basic case as a 9 or 10 speed, or 13 or 15 OR WHATEVER.

SOOO the bottom line is this may not be the transmission for the Super Truckers among you . but if you like comfort. convienence,and ease of operation , in a box that is very forgiving with a weight saving to boot, this may be the transmission for you.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:55 PM
ccrraaiigg

Default ok

imagine a 5 speed tranny with a high and low side. you start in 1st gear low then you shift to 1st gear high, then you shift to second gear low then second gear high, then third low and third high, and forth and then fifth. when i say first gear low i am talking about the splitter on the down side then first gear high you let off the go pedal and move the splitter up to the high side. Its easy after your break in period.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:35 PM
btrailer

Default Or if you are rolling down

A pretty good grade you can skip shift also by shifting and not using the lever!!Try that on for size!
Old 03-25-2004, 11:03 AM
curly24078

Default Super 10

Some, like mine, auto shift between 9th and 10th gear without and switch-flipping at all. It's fully auto at the top.