Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 11-19-2000, 09:44 PM
desperado

Default A Second Chance!

I am a new Truck Driver with only 2 mos of OTR experience. Believe it or not I already have 2 preventable accidents on record with my previous employer (as you can guess I was fired!)but they aren't on my driving record.
The first one I was not cited for but there was vehice damage, (fender bender). The second one I was citecd for down in Louisiana for "careless operation". No injuries were involved and there was also vehicle damage in this one.
I started this career change 4 months ago and I feel it's all over. Will anyone hire me now and give me a second chance or will I have to wait 3yrs and start over?
Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!
EBurro1042@aol.com
Old 11-19-2000, 10:54 PM
georgiagirl

Default Disappointing news

I don't like to keep people discouraged, but I see this as a major obstacle in the choice you made to drive a truck.

You've probably screwed yourself out of a job. I realize accidents happen, but two within two months is unacceptable in this industry. Two within 10 years is still unacceptable. Perhaps you need to step back and realize that you're not a natural at truck driving and perhaps you need to reconsider.

There's lots of people that find out trucking isn't for them and it's nothing to be ashamed of, but if you continue doing something that you can't do---you will eventually hurt yourself or worse---someone else.

You have to learn that you're not driving a truck, you're driving a trailer and until you can remember that you've got 53' of vehicle behind you that you must maneuver, you'll never make it as a driver.

Old 11-20-2000, 12:31 PM
themaestro

Default 2nd chance

Where abouts are you located so we can tell you about some companies that might hire you