Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 02-24-1999, 12:27 AM
Highball

Default Air assist steering

All right you wrench benders, I need some help here. How is it possible to convert my air assist steering to POWER steering? My 78 KW looks and runs great, however it's realy a chore to get the 80,000 turned especially in tight traffic.(more like scary) Any and all help pointing me twoard after market parts or to interchange people will be much appericiated!

Happy Trails

Highball

Old 02-25-1999, 03:48 AM
Mr. Vice Grips

Default Don`t Feel Pressured?

Highball on 2/24/99 12:27 PM said:

>>All right you wrench benders, I need some help here. How is it possible to convert my air assist steering to POWER steering? My 78 KW looks and runs great, however it's realy a chore to get the 80,000 turned especially in tight traffic.(more like scary) Any and all help pointing me twoard after market parts or to interchange people will be much appericiated!
>>

The air assist is not working properly or you just want to convert to hydraulic steering? I always enjoyed air assist because if it fails you can still use manual steering whereas with hydraulic, if you have a component failure, you must have it repaired immediately. Also, with the air assist turned off on the road, you get a better "feel" of the road through the steering wheel, especially on slick road surfaces.

There are several large salvage yards that offer "take-off" conversion kits...steering box, pump, cylinder(s) and all the lines and hardware. This would be the way to go...everything you need to convert over is in the kit.

Old 02-27-1999, 08:21 AM
Duke of URL

Default Changeover Kits Update!...URL Within...

>>Highball on 2/24/99 12:27 PM said:
>>
>>
>>
>>>>All right you wrench benders, I need some help here. How is it possible to convert my air assist steering to POWER steering? My 78 KW looks and runs great, however it's realy a chore to get the 80,000 turned especially in tight traffic.(more like scary) Any and all help pointing me twoard after market parts or to interchange people will be much appericiated!
>
Seek and ye shall find...I personally would rather have the air assist...service parts are available...in fact, you can still spec it on a new chassis...

Old 02-27-1999, 08:25 AM
URL Pitts

Default Sheesh...Just One Little Character!

Strange how just one character will keep you from "parsing"...

Seems that the "Internet Fairy" would realize where it is I am trying to go and point the way...BUT NO!!!

Come towards the light my son...sheesh!

Old 02-27-1999, 02:19 PM
Steve

Default Re: Air assist steering

Highball on 2/24/99 12:27 PM said:

>>All right you wrench benders, I need some help here. How is it possible to convert my air assist steering to POWER steering? My 78 KW looks and runs great, however it's realy a chore to get the 80,000 turned especially in tight traffic.(more like scary) Any and all help pointing me twoard after market parts or to interchange people will be much appericiated!
>>
>>
>>
>>Happy Trails
>>
>>
>>
>>Highball
>>
>>
>>
>>Posted By: 204.60.41.208 (204.60.41.208)
>>
There is a kit to convert it over to power steering that kw put's out I did it to mine after I put KTA600 under the hood it got even worse to turn. I know kw put it out I don't know about now. Good Luck