Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 04-30-2003, 02:53 AM
newthead

Default auto shift

Can anyone post a list of companies that primarily use auto-shifts? I know US Xpress is one.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:38 AM
bogeydriver

Default you are correct

US Xpress is one. I believe that Willis Shaw Express uses auto shifts on the newer Macks they have.

I have a good friend who used to drive for WSE. He got a brand new Mack with the auto shift and loved it.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:45 AM
mrchicken

Default Auto Shifts

deBoer is about 95% autoshifts. We have Volvo, Freightliner, and International trucks. I work in operations at deboer, feel free to email me for more info or see the URL below.

Keep on Truckin-----

Mr Chicken
Old 04-30-2003, 11:58 AM
aftershock

Default Newthead

Good morning. The sun is up and the birds are singing. It's a beautiful thing! Your question about auto-shifting sparked a thought within my head. No, nothing serious. But, I have an opinion that you can take for what it's worth. (Less than 2 cents on the American Stock Exchange today -- even Martha Stewart won't buy.) IMO: it would be beneficial to be skilled in shifting manually. I find it provides a better feel of the truck as you up and down shift. It might take a while to master double-clutching and slipping (clutchless shifting) gears. But, when you do, you might find you have no interest in an auto-shifter. Imagine you find the perfect company to drive for. Great pay, well maintained equipment, adequate home time. You know, that dream job? However, they don't spec their trucks with auto-shifting transmissions. Whatcha gonna do? Believe me, the first time you shift all 8 or 9 or 10 gears smoothly without so much as a scratch, you'll be smiling as big as Crusinangel. (another knowledgeable poster here) Unfortunately, when it happens there is usually nobody there to witness your achievement. I don't know why, just seems to happen that way. You will have bolstered your confidence level several notches though. When I first started I wanted to find a company with auto-backing equipped trucks. It's hard to be interviewed for a driving job when the interviewer is ROTFLaughing. (As I soon found out). Bottom line? You do what you believe you need to do. Auto-shifting trucks are still trucks that need drivers. That's where you enter the picture. Best of luck, you'll do OK whatever you decide. I'm back out.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:09 PM
newthead

Default shifting

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I tried shifting a super ten the first time ever in a tractor and I hated it!Then again, I also hated it the first time I shifted a car when I was 16.......hmmmmmmmm
Old 04-30-2003, 12:58 PM
bogeydriver

Default Hey Newthead

I heard you I did!!!!

My second car was a 1979 Ford pinto. First one was a 1971 Mustang..factory condition, but that's another story, and I'm still not quite over it. (sniff..sniff)

Anyway....the first time I went anywhere I drove to my grandparents house to show them my new car. I was 18 and full of pride. Where I lived was flat, but my GP's house had a few small hills. Nothing serious, but I'd never started off on a hill with a 4 speed.

Making a long story short, I got stuck trying to start off up this hill for 20 minutes. A really nice guy in a Thunderbird kept pushing me back up to the light. I stalled every time, until finally got it going.

Everybody who was left behind me was honking and clapping that I finally made it through. I, was sooooooo embarrased.

18 yr old guy trying to be cool in my Pinto....
Old 04-30-2003, 11:50 PM
evilways

Default autoshifts

US Xpress, CFI, FFE has some, DeBoer, Willis Shaw, Millis has a few, Rohel Has some, Artic express-thats all I can think of off the top of my head-I had one, nice in traffic, thats about it
Old 05-03-2003, 02:24 AM
administrator

Default auto

This message has been removed due to a violation of layover.com's posting guidelines. For more information, please follow the URL link below.

layover.com Staff
Old 05-04-2003, 01:49 AM
administrator

Default gimme shifte

This message has been removed due to a violation of layover.com's posting guidelines. For more information, please follow the URL link below.

layover.com Staff
Old 05-04-2003, 02:18 AM
newthead

Default BS!!!

ADMIN..............give me a flippin BREAK!! You must lighten up.