Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 05-22-2005, 01:40 AM
alexx0371

Default Automatic Transmissions

I used to drive for a company(in Deep South Texas) who for the most part had automatic transmissions trucks. I got the chance to drive a manual transmission trucks ( which I did not like so much because I would get nervous shifting on steep ramps like there are in the northwest and northeast part of the country). I like the automatic transmission better because it took away the guessing work, I'm new to the business and just had about a year and half of driving experience. I stopped driving but I want to go back into it. My question is which companies have automatic transmission trucks? Is there anyone who can tell me what companies use automatic transmissions? Any information or help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:43 PM
dodgerc28

Default Auto-trans

Check into USXpress. They have an all auto trans fleet. I worked for them a few years back and had a decent experience there.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:47 PM
joerockhead

Default Auto

And that's the problems with useing these transmissions and new drivers. The industry is busy creating a bunch of "incompetent" drivers that couldn't run a 10 speed let alone an 18 speed.

The dumbing down of the industry....
Old 05-23-2005, 10:19 PM
alexx0371

Dodgerc28,Thank you driver I appricate taking the time to help me out.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:23 PM
alexx0371

As far as Joe rock head is concerned, I do know how to drive 10,13, and even 18 speed manual transmisson trucks. I was asking for help not sarcasm. I don't mind driving manual transmission truck I just haven't had that much experience and would drive them but I would prefere to drive automatic transmission trucks.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:53 AM
fozzy

Default This is the same type who...

wants to drive a non powersteering, split rim, triplex with a spring suspension and a bench seat. Why people ***-U-ME that autoshifts make someone less a driver than someone who just wants to work harder and less efficient, is beyond me.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:03 AM
angelface

Default Excuse me sir

I AM NOT FAT!! I'm a size 6.
Now my son is toothless at the moment but he got a whole dollar from the toothfairy for his last tooth.

;^)
Mrs. Fozzy
Old 05-24-2005, 02:42 PM
road_wolf

Default Gear shifting

As I prepare myself for school to learn how to drive a truck...I have to think that Gear Shifting a 10 speed will take alot of practice to master... I would pick a manual tranmission over a automatic anyday.. (of course I drive a Auto trans SUV, cause my wife hate sticks...*S*)
Old 05-24-2005, 04:24 PM
fozzy

Default Please explain that answer

Why do you feel its "better" or safer to drive a stick over an autoshift? There is no basis in fact for this answer. I think there should be an endorsement for manual as well as automatics. But this fantasy that manually shifting gears is safer is just hogwash.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:45 PM
fozzy

Default You're describing "gear jammers"

"Fat toothless barefoot children"...You're not even close to describing me.

Fozzy