Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 08-23-2002, 06:48 PM
darla

Default circulation problems, legs, truckers

Am still gathering info to make a case with WCB, that years of sitting driving truck, and the vibration you endure could at least play a part in circulatory problems in legs (called PVD). Let me hear from you. Have approached the Teamsters medical team for any input they may have.
Old 08-24-2002, 07:28 AM
primerib

Default re: circulation problems, etc.,,,

Haven't had any circulation troubles
but the continued jarring of bad roads
contributed to some intestinal problems,
( not to mention truck stop food ).
States to notorious to mention for
bad roads include LA., AR., and PA.
If you're in any of those states for
any length of time it's a good idea
to cut your speed as their roads will
lend to some various health issues and
damage your rig if you go flat out.
I always tell my dispatcher to give me
a lot more time than usuall if I hafta
cross through any of those states.

C,ya......
- prime rib
Old 08-24-2002, 09:50 PM
bugsmasher

Default PVD

Hey Darla,
Before driving a truck I was an R.N. for 18 years. Operating room, ICU type...

Fatty truck Stop food and cigarettes are what precipitate Peripheral Vascular Disease. Sitting or lack of exercise is not the root cause. Bouncing down the road has nothing to do with it, the spine yes, legs no.

Sorry these are just the simple facts.

Good luck
Old 09-04-2002, 08:47 PM
darla

Default bad roads

thanks primerib for answering. Know what you mean about BAD roads. My husband has driven them for 51 years. Here and all over N.A. That's why I think that all this must have taken a toll on the body, upper and lower. ?? Have a medical background and am continuing to research this! Darla
Old 09-04-2002, 08:57 PM
darla

Default fatty food, etc.

am a medical worked for top drs in Canada. Agree that fatty food does its damage. BUT, they say high cholesterol, blood pressure, and diabetes and smoking are only causes of PVD. My question is the research they have done on upper body vibration, caused by same scenario is acknowledged. Really, my husband after 3 million miles wants it to be recognized as a problem down the road. Now we know that they should get out and walk, not smoke, not eat junk food, but in the old days they didn't. They just drove till they got there. Thanks for replying, Darla
Old 09-05-2002, 10:43 PM
bogeydriver

Default PVD

Darla I hope you get your information soon. I've seen your posts about this for several months now and you seem to not be getting any replies.

Old 09-06-2002, 01:26 AM
significantpickle

Default Sure.

Just looking for someone to blame for a problem brought upon ones self. Even 50 to 100 (or more) years ago, people knew that not getting off your butt and doing something strenous was going to give you problems. It was and still is called being sedentuary. People have to start to being responsible for there own actions. Quit trying to pass it off as "I didn't know." Oh, jeez, I just got a cramp in my wrist. I didn't know that typing would cause that. I smell a lawsuit coming on.
Old 09-06-2002, 03:58 PM
bulletproof

Default circulation problems etc....

You most likely have a condition called claudication, which is a fancy term for blockages in the main arteries of the leg. Causes weakness, numbness and pain. Caused primarily by smoking and a high fat diet. Check WebMD.com. I have driven for 28 years and developed this problem over the years. Had surgery (involves bypassing/replacing the femoral artery in the leg. Helped some, but not a whole lot. Leg pain is also an indicator of cardiovascular disease. I'm NO doctor, but my daughter is. If you smoke, quitting is the first and best thing you need to do. This condition is NO joke. The Teamsters did'nt do squat for me, and I've paid their dues all these years. Get a GOOD doctor and check out claudication on the NET. BOL..
Old 09-08-2002, 01:41 PM
bogeydriver

Default I agree pickle

Our world is filling up with the " I didn't know the coffee was hot when I puored it down my lay...now gimme my millions Smoking causes cancer...I didn't know that..now pay me so I can buy a new yacht!"

I guess stupidity really does pay
Old 09-08-2002, 01:52 PM
texasrd

Default circulation problems

Hi everybody. I was reading what you had to say about circulation problems and I was wondering, as a truck driver, do you think this is the major health problem you face? If not, what is? I really appreaciate your comments - I am doing a project at school and my uncle is a truck driver, so I have always had some interest in truck drivers and your unique needs. Thanks -