Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 09-20-2004, 02:51 PM
tailormaid

Default couples living on the road

Just wondering if there are any couples living full time on the road.
Hubby and I are contemplating selling it all when our youngest has flown, and I can quit my job take a year or two off to finally spend some time with each other. We do have family and friends that we can stay with and mooch a home cooked meal. Storage would be a must, since we would eventually be buying another place.
We get along great, and I go with him whenever I can, which is only during my vacation time.
Any response will be greatly accepted, good bad or ugly.
thanks, Tailormaid.

Old 09-20-2004, 09:39 PM
georgiagirl

Default As romantic as it sounds.....

someone who has sold it all and lived to regret it later-----don't do it.

We have since rebuilt all of our belongings, but we didn't adhere to the advice of others and went out on our own volition thinking that it would never happen to us......but it did.

The romance of the road leaves after a very short while and as gypsyish as it may sounds to just pack it all up for awhile.....there is nothing like coming home to your own pots and pans, your own couch, your own bed, your own STUFF.

There are plenty of people who live out of their trucks successfully, but you can ask many of them and they'll tell you that their house is where they're parked, but they live a very lonely and secluded life.

You're going to do what you're going to do as I'm sure you've already put a lot of thought into it. THere is something so free-spirited sounding about just packing it all up and heading cross country in a big truck. But traveling cross country in a big truck can be hard and laborous work. Sometimes just finding a real bathroom with a real toilet that isn't underneath a trailer in the po-dunk nowhere is a blessing!!

I don't regret going into trucking. I just wished I had been more realistic in the beginning.

GG
Old 09-22-2004, 02:10 AM
tailormaid

Default I hear ya

understandable, that is why I have a plan B. The equity from our house by the time we sell, will be enough to buy outright a townhouse that we'll rent out, and that will be our (my) emergency chute if need be. Anyways, it wouldn't be forever, just enough to buy some property and build what we want. We've got another 3.5yrs to decide, and things can change like everything else in this world.
Thanks,
Tailormaid