Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 05-24-2002, 07:40 PM
breaker1

Default Dedicated routes -question-

What exactly does it mean to get a dedicated route? Same route everyday or week? Same customer? Home every week? I'm gonna be going with Swift, but I imagine all carriers will be similiar with dedicated runs.. Thanks for all info! One more thing, does dedicated mean more pay?
Old 05-24-2002, 11:50 PM
bigjake

Default In most cases...

...dedicated means the same basic route and/or customer. Yes, it can mean more money in the simple fact that you're not sitting around waiting to be dispatched after the leasser O/O's, teams, and dedicated drivers are dispatched.
Old 05-27-2002, 12:53 AM
ccrraaiigg

Default What account r u getting

It depends on the account you get assigned. The auto rail i believe goes to the same places and Kmarts are usually any kmart. I talked to the drivers of both of those accounts and they tell me it is nice to not have to worry about directions because the go to the same places so often it becomes memorized. but the simple answer is no you dont ever get the same customers everyweek but you do usually stay within the relm of a group of customers that you visit often. There are some acounts that r the way you say same miles,ht,customers but they are not as available as the first type i talked about. but what do i know i worked 4 swift 4 only 2.5 months. Im just a newbie here.
P.S. i have already renewed my CDL had my Hazmat removed my Hazmat and added it to my CDL. So i am not very new to trucking.
Old 05-27-2002, 01:42 AM
breaker1

Default Swift

ccrraaiigg

Thanks for the info.. Curious on if your driving out of the Northwest area? I read a post of yours saying your on the Walmart account, does this get you home every week and pays as well as driving regional? I see Swift recieving NEW trucks, who gets these? The new guy! LOL I plan on taking my Dog with me so I will get stuck with the old flame throwers (cabover tucked away in the back forty)
Old 05-27-2002, 03:55 PM
bigjake

Default Swift' new trucks

"Who gets them," you asked. Depends. Some terminal managers make sure their vetern drivers do. Others don't bother with that rank and file stuff and the next available truck just goes to the next available driver. It can and does lead to some hard feelings.

But when you get right down to it, what does it really matter? If you're driving a 70" condo that's 3 years old and another guy is driving a 70" condo that is brand new, they both work and you both get paid the same, what's the big deal?
Old 05-27-2002, 11:08 PM
ccrraaiigg

Default WHO GETS THE TRUCKS

BASICALLY the ones who get the new ones are the dedicated guys in theory. Dedicated usually has 1st priority whether it is service or new trucks and whatnot. Then it is driver trainers. i think last is drivers who's trucks have 450000 miles on them.
Big jake is right a new truck is the same as an old one, but 4 me i like the smell of new truck and cant stand the smell of old smoke. i dont smoke so it is a big deal to me. The walmart account i am on gets me home everyday(YES EVERYDAY). The account is in s. California so unless you live close to Fontana Forget about is. I dont even have to drive anymore but in the yard of the shipper. I brive a swift Goat.
Good luck to you and if you need anymore info fell free to ask.
Old 05-28-2002, 03:04 AM
messyme

Default ,,,

Just in case a newbie wanted to see this
Old 05-28-2002, 03:04 AM
driver123

Default Boring

Dedicated routes are boring. Ya you will know where you will be every day and week. But to see the same thing all the time will make ya go nuts. I did all 3, the one that left me least board, was open dispatch OTR.

All 3 mean: OTR, Local, Dedicated Run.
Local, your home every day.
Dedicated, your home once a week or so.
OTR, your out for 3-6 weeks.
Old 05-29-2002, 03:31 PM
bigtdc

Default route question

dedicated routes for swift might be for
walmart, its a pretty good deal but as far as getting home every night that would depend on how close to a D.C.
your house is. I have been a dedicated driver for walmart for over 2 yrs and yes it gets boring but the advantages are good, you get good miles if you run well and do what it takes but I guess that is like anything else! Its a steady paycheck and not a bad way to go in my opinon anyway:)
Old 05-29-2002, 04:29 PM
bigjake

Default Driver123...

...has a point. Closest I ever came to dedicated was hauling fertilizer from SaskferCo (up by Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan) back to Glendive, MT. That was when my local haul job became a dedicated one. Both were boring. The company I'm with now, has me on local...same highway, same load, twice a day. The only time it gets exciting is when the wind blows so **** hard (Elk Mtn. area) you think its going to tip you, or when it's blowing snow...neither excitment I really need in my older age!