Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 12-31-1998, 05:14 PM
Tony

Default D.O.T. Drug Policy for prescribed medication

I take a PRESCRIBED controlled substance VICODEN, for back pain. It is prescribed 2 times daily. I take it every couple days because I am in good shape and I exercise.
My doctor says that it is safe for me to drive on but I normally take it before I go to bed. It never has givin me the feeling that I am "high". I looked in the FMC safety regulation handbook, on their drug policy only to find that PRESCRIBED medication is not adressed. Will the DOT violate me as a POSITIVE TEST on a random urine test for test pos to a controlled substance that I have a prescription for?
I just don't trust them **** people. I am an O/O and don't need to be shut down. Does anyone have any input. THX

Old 01-01-1999, 04:10 AM
BEDSPREAD

Default It Is Written...within...

Tony on 12/31/98 5:14 PM said:

>>I take a PRESCRIBED controlled substance VICODEN, for back pain. It is prescribed 2 times daily. I take it every couple days because I am in good shape and I exercise.
>>
>>My doctor says that it is safe for me to drive on but I normally take it before I go to bed. It never has givin me the feeling that I am "high". I looked in the FMC safety regulation handbook, on their drug policy only to find that PRESCRIBED medication is not adressed. Will the DOT violate me as a POSITIVE TEST on a random urine test for test pos to a controlled substance that I have a prescription for?
>>
>>I just don't trust them **** people. I am an O/O and don't need to be shut down. Does anyone have any input. THX

Prescribed medication is addressed in FMCSR 49 CFR Parts 391.95 and 391.97. It might also be necessary to bring to the attention of your physician the rules of those parts and Appendix D-Table of Disqualifying Drugs And Other Substances Schedule 1 found in the back of your FMCSR handbook. Most physicians have no knowledge regarding safety regulations on prescribed drug useage.

At a drug screen, you are asked if you are on a prescribed medication and at that time you show the collector the prescription and it will be listed in the paperwork. It is also a good idea to have a written explanation of the prescribed prescription useage and the physicians belief it will not adverely affect your driving in your log book cover, especially if you enter Canada on a regular basis.

Peruse the site below for more information, and yes you are correct in your apprehension of the collection process.