Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 06-19-2004, 08:49 PM
quickdraw

Default Front end shake

Was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on front end shake in Freightliner classic at around 45 to 50 miles per hour just had steers rotated and balanced and problem still persist.Has anyone else experienced and been able to fix? Own 2 and both are doing the same thing at pretty much same speed . Was told shocks needed replacing with a high end shock to fix but do not want to waste the money if it won't correct.Appreciate any help
Old 06-19-2004, 10:13 PM
tndriver

Default freightshakers

are called that for a reason.. LOL

For the record, front shocks should be changed every 100,000 miles.

Jack the front of the truck up and check king pins tie rod ends.

Check your brake drums, could have lost a weight or they could be worped.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:43 AM
fozzy

Default rotated the steers?

Im not sure but along with what TN Driver said, the tires themselves may not have liked changing places (rotation wise) and be going bad internally? I'd get it checked out. Have you tried simply feeling the shocks after driving for a while? If the shock is not warm...it may not be working at all.

Fozzy
Old 06-23-2004, 12:26 PM
icantinaturner

Default Yeah, what the other guys said.

Hard tellin' what it could be, but I'm curious how many miles you have on the truck. Do you feel the vibration primarily though steering wheel, or through your butt and feet? Besides mileage, how long has it been since you've had a good laser, all wheel alignment? Without proper toe-in, you can get the vibes.

If the mileage is nearing 750K +, it might be time to rebush the truck, especially the front end, and have the kingpins replaced. It's not cheap and I've had it done to my FLD120. It is cheaper the sooner you catch the wear as the complete spring hangers are more costly.

Shocks? I agree that after about 100k they are pretty worn but I've tried the high dollar gas jobs and the cheaper ones. Not much difference in my opinion. If you suspect shocks, drive the truck for a while, preferably over roads that will work the shocks, and feel them up. If they are somewhat warmer to the touch than nearby frame metal, they are probably working OK. If they are the same temperature, they aren't doing their job.

If you've had the rotation and balancing done with no improvement, I'm inclined to think the problem is elsewhere if the tires aren't worn in unusual patterns.

The fact that you get the vibration a a specific speed range leads me to something else I've experienced twice in the past few years. That is the carrier bearing in the middle of the driveshaft.

Crawl under the truck and push up on the driveshaft near that center bearing. Did it move? Are the bolts tight or is there slop between themounting and the frame rail? This inspection takes all of two minutes and is free.

Vibration in that bearing usually comes in at a certain speed range and is felt more through your seat and feet that through the steering wheel, although some does come trhough the wheel. The first time this happened to me at around 750K miles, simply tightening the two bolts solved the vibration problem.

The problem returned at around 1,200,000 miles (yes, I'm cheap) and this time the hard rubber mounting surrounding the bearing had simply given up the ghost. the new replacement runs about $51 at a good dealer or $65 at a stealer. figure an hour labor for the replcement at a good shop. BTW, the newer carried bearing has a few holes ventilating the rubber and seems to work just fine.

Hope this helps.

Where is Torkwrench when we need him? =0)

Old 06-24-2004, 06:56 PM
hey_you

Default top

again