Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 11-02-2002, 07:00 PM
interplanetarydriver

Default hauling gas tanks?

i have been thinking about applying to this company buck run trucking here in pennsylvania.they haul gas to wawas and have real nice petes.they pay very well,i was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about hauling gas or the company.thx
Old 11-02-2002, 08:02 PM
groucho_marx

Default Haulin' Gas

Don't know much about the company, but do know a lot about haulin' gas, I've done it for 6 years.
Almost all gas loads are full tank, and the tanks are compartmented, which means there is very little or no "slosh" as with single bore tanks. The loading is down at the bottom of the tank instead of on top. I don't think there are very many gas racks that top load anymore. The loading is done by computer, you just set the meter to the desired gallons and let it fly and depending on the rack, you can load three or four compartments at a time. If it takes more than 15 minutes to load a wagon then there is something wrong.
One rule a gas hauler must adhere to is Be aware their surroundings. All gas drivers have to stay near the truck while it's loading, cause it don't take much to have something go wrong. There have been times that I had gas come flying out of the top of the trailer cause the loading head didn't shut off. Yeah, I had to clean up the mess.
Unloading isn't bad either. Stick the tanks or get the Veeder-Root reading. Hook up the fittings and the hoses and let it fly, while the trailer is unloading get the paperwork done, get the log caught up. It should take about 20 minutes to unload. Pack the stuff back up get the bills signed and you're on the way back to the gas terminal for another load. Depending on where you run you can get between 3 and 5 loads a night or day.
One other thing, you'll be out in all kinds of weather, if you don't mind that, then haulin' gas just might be for you..God luck
Old 11-02-2002, 08:56 PM
wallyg8tor

Default One thing you might take in...

consideration is some of the cons. Some of the stations, you'll have to weave in and out and fight with four wheelers trying to get in. One place I used to deliver to I had to blind side it in against the flow of traffic a few blocks from a large college with impatient people who hate to wait and they have even jumped up on the median to go around because they couldn't wait a minute or two for me to stick it in the hole. So you're watching four wheelers, keeping an eye on the brick wall, trying to be on the other side of the holes so you can stick the tanks and watching the four wheelers in the station trying to squeeze by you in the blind spot, using that opportunity to get out before the traffic gets going again, all at the same time, and usually there's a few half clad chicks dinking around that require some serious attention, too.

Or waiting 45 minutes to find the person who parked their vehicle on top of the tank opening and ride shared with another or is busy inside scratching his testicles and picking his butt.

I've had some pretty easy places too, like West Winds Truck Stop in Green River, Utah, I'd just yank my hoses and kick back while I pumped it off or a better one yet, was down the road at the Conoco truck stop where they had four diesel tanks so I could unload the front trailers three loaded compartments at one time and then a short pull up to empty the pup's two compartments. (Rocky Mountain doubles)

Others are just as easy such as some airports, construction sites and truck yards where it can be tight fits but no 4 wheelers to get in the way. So it all depends on what hauls you get and the times you are scheduled. It can be a headache sometimes and sometimes pretty easy going.

The bright side is you can drill a tap in one of your quick release caps and mount a hose for some on the side of the road discount sales to passerbyes. (kidding of course)
Old 11-03-2002, 11:02 AM
interplanetarydriver

Default thx

i rode with a guy at my work who drives the asphalt oil tanker.he loaded oil at a citgo and it was all computer automated.he just punched an id # and the amount of gallons needed and what kind of product.it told him what bay to pull into and he loaded from the top.i figured gas would be similar to that.
when he unloaded he had to open up the manholes on the top so it woouldnt create a vacuum and **** the tank in.is gas like that too?thx for the help gentlemen.
Old 11-03-2002, 11:10 AM
interplanetarydriver

Default day night shift???

one more question.is it likely id be a night shift driver starting from the bottom of the list as a new hire to a company.i guess so.
mobil (tosco) is hiring for drivers and their schedule is 4 days ,or nights, on and then 2 days off.that is their rotation.is that also common in the gas hauling business?thx again
Old 11-03-2002, 06:18 PM
jerseyfilly

Default I would think that

They would have some sort of vapor recovery system in place to prevent the escape of fumes and equalize the tank pressure to prevent collapse.

I haul a smooth bore vac trailer that is made to withstand the many pounds of vac needed to load. We also have to vent through various methods when un-loading. You just would'nt want to open a dome lid to vent a load of sulferic acid. Every tanker and every product has it's own procedure for venting and unloading and loading for that matter. Ask Wally he would know more about the specfics to gas hauling.

Is it the Tosco plant in Trainer PA that you would be running out of? I have been in there a few times hauling waste benzene from thier other plants in East Boston MA and Holtsville NY.
They process it and then release it into the river.

BTW, another thought I saw that you said that you would be delivering gas to the super WaWa's. They are for the most part very well laid out and roomey to get around in in a truck. Seems they also lay out cones for the delivery drivers and block everything off. Very safty minded and friendly. At least the 3 that are near me are, I am sure it is some sort of policy they have.

Best of luck neighbor
Jersey Filly
Old 11-03-2002, 06:37 PM
wallyg8tor

Default Night shifts

Actually night shifts are the easier of the two. I used to carry a claw hammer and with the harder to deliver stations (high volume traffic and business with tanks right smack in the middle of activity) I would deliver those at night and the claw hammer would allow me to snap the locked caps. It's a lot easier delivering to stations at night.

As for the vapor recovery, didn't use it much, except in certain areas where I could be monitored. Just a waste of time screwing with an extra hose and connection. Plus it was cool watching the distorted waves of vapor hovering along my truck & trailer waiting for someone to flick their bic!

Another word of advice is to have your truck in between the station and the tanks, that way if you get busy dinking around and talking to the ladies and miss watching your truck and it happens to over fill and make a little pool, it keeps them from seeing the pool of gas on the ground long enough for you to get the hell out of there, if you know what I mean. A big cloud of black smoke is fine, as long as you're not in the middle of it.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:24 PM
angelface

Default Wally

You're not right! ;^)~

Old 11-04-2002, 01:06 PM
groucho_marx

Default Haulin' Gas and vapor recovery

All the tank farms here in NC use vapor recovery for loading, no chance of "****ing" the tank in. Gas haulers, here anyway, have to use vapor recovery when unloading, it's a big *** fine if they don't. I liked driving the night shift, could get a lot more acomplished and it was rather entertaining on Friday and Saturday nights.Wally is right about the weaving through the pumps and cars. As for the waiting, the company policy was 10 minutes then we called a wrecker and had the car towed off. Plus, the drivers were paid delay time. Only had one guy get really pissed about his car being towed off, he had parked the car on top of the drops to go with his "girlfriend" He had to call his "wife" when he got back. You should have seen the action when she got there and he had to explain why the car was missing. Gas hauling just might be for you, it is a whole other world. Great entertainment!
Old 11-09-2002, 01:44 PM
interplanetarydriver

Default girl watching while unloading

that must be awesome.i always see good looking women at the gas stations around where i live.i know a couple who work at the stations as well.i guess youd have a good time checking them out at close range...i guess if you played your cards right you could even score a few phone numbers?