Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 02-13-2005, 07:11 PM
bulletproof

Default Hazmat Fingerprint locations

As of 5/31/05 TSA will require fingerprints of all Hazmat endorsed drivers holding a CDL. OK, I'm fine with that, BUT where in the heck do you go to get fingerprinted ??? DMV in California does'nt know and there is nothing on the TSA website either. Anyone have any ideas ? Thank you
Old 02-13-2005, 09:44 PM
ohiogirl

Default Fingerprintred

I had to get finger printed for a jod one year and had to go to the Sheriff's office at the Courthouse to get it done and it didn't cost anything back then.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:18 AM
shortleged

Default Fingerprinted...

Went to my County Sherriff's office in the courthouse to obtain gun permit...was printed there,must be on record there,haven't heard anything else from the TSA...
Old 02-14-2005, 12:11 PM
sealord

Default Fingerprints

I think I saw a posting about hazmat fingerprinting at roundtable.truck.net about your topic, don't remember the specific "title" tho. BOL
Old 02-14-2005, 12:35 PM
bulletproof

Default New Hazmat Procedure

OK after spending hours on the phone, think I finally have this figured out. IF you are applying for a NEW hazmat endorsement OR your CURRENT endorsement expires AFTER 05/31/05: You MUST submit fingerprints and background information at your local TSA office in your state 6 weeks PRIOR to your license expiration. The fee is $94.00. AFTER TSA notifies your states DMV of clearance, you will then go to your local states DMV to renew your hazmat endorsement. This must be done every 5 years.The phone# for TSA-Hazmat Division is 1-877-429-7746. Or go to www.TSA.gov Website does not currenlt list locations of your local offices. Currently in California, there are only 3 offices, with 4 more expected to open soon. Bakersfield, Colton and Sacramento. Ah, the government strikes again !! Hope this helps someone..
Old 02-15-2005, 09:40 AM
ladywordsmith4

Default Is that right?

Let me get this straight. The government is REQUIRING you to be fingerprinted, then CHARGING you $94 to do it?

Dang.

I hope you get a kiss with that.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:59 PM
kc0iv

Default New Hazmat

bulletproof said
"You MUST submit fingerprints and background information at your local TSA office in your state 6 weeks PRIOR to your license expiration."

This is true ONLY if your state has elected to use the TSA Agent for collection.

On the TSA website:
"http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1735.xml"

They list the states and the states declarations. I'll copy and paste this information:
"States That Have Elected to Use the TSA Agent: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

States That Have Elected to Collect/Submit Fingerprints, Application Data, and TSA/FBI Fees Themselves: Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, and Wisconsin."

So I'd say the best one can do is contact their state DMV on how they are handling this new nonsense.

One other point I read on the TSA site is about the "Hazmat Disqualifying Crimes"

The give a list of those crimes and say if a present Hazmat Endorsement holder has been convicted of one or more of these crimes he/she must submit their license to the DMV.

What's even more disturbing is another of their statements.
"An applicant is disqualified from holding an HME if he or she was convicted* or found not guilty by reason of insanity within the past seven years, was released from prison within the past five years, or is wanted or under indictment, for any of the following crimes:"

The part that disturbs me is "or is wanted or under indictment..."

Whatever happen to the "not guilty until proven guilty?"

I suggest that ever truck driver refuse to haul Hazmat and give up their Hazmat endorsement.

BTW I'm not worried about being able to meet the new requirements. I've never even been in a criminal court. It all has to be with private rights. And I'm sure not going to give the gov. another $94 tax. NOt after having to pay over $60 the last time I got my CDL renewed. Enough is Enough.

kc0iv
Old 02-16-2005, 09:37 AM
ladywordsmith4

Default just remembered...

When my husband became a US citizen, he needed to be fingerprinted, too. The passport office wanted $40 to do it, so he took the card to the local cop shop and had them do it for free.

I had to be fingerprinted when I worked at a day care center, and the employer paid for it, not me. They also paid for my first aid/CPR training.

You shouldn't have to pay for something you're required to have as part of your job. It's probably tax-deductible, though.

I have to agree, though, that some things are too important to be left in the hands of an idiot--like the safety of your kids and the control of potentially dangerous substances. If you got caught committing a crime, you're probably an idiot. Then, you shouldn't be allowed to handle anything dangerous, and I sure don't want you taking care of my kids.

Should there be a regulatory function of some kind for case-by-case review? Absolutely. There should always be a little wiggle room for the minority--Thomas Jefferson said so.

As for the "wanted or under indictment" bit, well, if you're not guilty, you won't be wanted or under indictment for long and you can get your cert then.

Ladywordsmith4