Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 11-08-2001, 12:12 PM
masterpoppa

Default Hazmat loads

The local DOT in the Houston area is really checking out hazmat loads. I am starting back otr next week, New Orleans, New Jersey, Chicago and back to Houston dedicated. Are they bothering tanks at truck stops? It will be hard to shower while keeping an eye on my load!
Old 11-08-2001, 01:57 PM
icantinaturner

Default Not a problem =0)

Not carrying explosives (div 1.1, 1.2, 1.3) are you? If your tanker (or van/ flatbed) is safely parked at a truck stop, there isn't a reason in the world you couldn't shower or generally go about your business. The 100' and unobstructed view thing only applies to explosives.

Actually, I'm curious how DOT *can* get away with hassling drivers on private property. Might be something in various state laws, but I suspect that DOT enforcement authority is limited on private property unless they followed the driver onto the property from a public roadway. Try to get a cop to write an accident report on private property... Opinions?

Old 11-08-2001, 02:28 PM
enstygatre

Default D.O.T.

Ike is right about the explosives. I don't know about other states, but in Florida, also poisonous gases; such as chlorine, and highly flammable, such as jet fuel or gasoline cannot be parked in an unsecured area unattended while loaded. But, I imagine the hours of service over ride that new law. I would also think a truck stop would be considered a secure area, as there are trucks and drivers all around. I need to call the D.O.T. and get a clarification on that. As far as D.O.T. hassling you on private property; I've seen them in truck stops checking paper work. Since 9/11/01; I think they believe they have the power to do so; and they might be right.
Old 11-08-2001, 04:11 PM
masterpoppa

Default attending

Icantina you are right as far as my book says, but here they are going on company property & truckstops. Emergency suspension of law?
Old 11-08-2001, 05:36 PM
enstygatre

Default D.O.T. rules..

Each state can have different rules. You can do a search by using any search engine, and typing in that state you are looking for, along with department of transportation motor vehicle compliance. You should end up with a link to that states DOT. A couple of good search engines are www.google.com or www.yahoo.com or www.askjeeves.com By now, I believe it safe to say that most States have a web site by now. Copy and paste the url below into your address bar to see Florida's.

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/mcco/pio/safetyflyer.html
Old 11-08-2001, 08:43 PM
jerseyfilly

Default Haz-mat tank loads in NJ

Okay I'll see if I can help out with some info for NJ. I drive for a NJ based company that hauls hazardous waste. After 9-11 we were put on high security alert and given steps to follow when hauling a haz load.

1] when parked at a truck-stop or at a customer the truck must be turned off and locked when you are out of the cab. The only exception to this rule is when you need to have power to run the vac pump.

2] When on the road do not talk about what you have in the tank to anybody that has no reason to know. You never know if some sicko will try to open the valves when it is unattended. You can run some zip-ties or thin wire around the ears on the outlet caps, this will be a easy way to see if it has been tampered with.

3] Some truck stops have spill containment parking areas for tankers with haz loads. The Flying "J" in Deepwater NJ exit 1 off the NJTPK has 2 spots like that.

I run about 20 loads a week here in NJ(local) mabey one third of them are haz and I have yet to be stopped by the DOT to be inspected. On the other hand getting into some of the plants has become more strict. We need to have 2 forms of photo ID and have the trucks searched inside and out when entering and leaving. Although it can be a pain and time consuming sometimes I feel that is so necessary now after seeing how lax some security had been before 9-11.

Ask your company what steps and precautions you should take and just use plain 'ole commen sense.

Take Care, Jersey Filly
Old 11-09-2001, 09:56 PM
razz

Default DOT/Hazmats

The DOT cop can ask you to pull into the t/s and inspect you so you can be safe. He CAN NOT come on private property ie a t/s and bother anybody!
As long as you are legally parked in a t/s you are in a safe haven. Same law everywhere. (It's federal) You do have to be in attendance while fueling ANY haz-mat load. When hauling explosives you have to be in attendance at all times. Other haz-mats are if it is parked in a safe haven then you are legal.
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like an awful lot of guys hauling haz-mat don't know all the rules. One of them is you MUST STOP for all RR crossings-(unless they're marked exempt). I've seen a lot of guys with placarded loads blowing tracks. I said something to a Swift driver hauling flammables in a van who crossed the tracks w/o stopping. He told me "that only applies to tankers"! Swiftie better send him back to school!
Old 11-10-2001, 03:49 AM
enstygatre

Default Well Razz....

If you're referring to what I posted, then it sounds as if you don't know all the rules. States can add rules; they just can't over ride the federal rules. The rail road tracks are common knowledge. I guess you will find some out there that don't know that, but then again, you'll find some out there that shouldn't be trucking. In Florida, any truck with flammble liquid, or poisonous gas can not be left unattended in an unsecure area while loaded. If it is left, then it needs to be padlocked up to where the load cannot be stolen, released, or spilled. This is according to FLDOT in Tallahassee. You may stop in a truckstop to eat, shower, sleep, etc. They don't want you pulling off and parking in some parking lot and leaving a full load of hazmat unsecured in a populated area. This is since the terrorists attacks and threats. A driver dumping gas the other day in Ft. Myers recieved a ticket from D.O.T. He was on private property, dropping gas. He walks in to get his paperwork signed, and the D.O.T. is holding his keys in the air with the door open. You must keep the doors locked and no keys in the ignition when not in the cab on any Hazmat load while in Florida.This is a new State law. It was only a warning ticket, but they can write you a ticket that will cost you money. Can they legally go into private property and write you a ticket? Probably not. Ever try and fight a ticket from D.O.T.? It's like pissing in the wind.
Old 11-10-2001, 09:25 AM
masterpoppa

Default Pasadena Tx DOT

Tell them they can not write you a ticket and you will go to JAIL! They wrote plenty
for idling over 5 minutes this summer. Maybe they can not, but they do. Writing a ticket is a courtesy up to officers discretion.392.2 Blowing RR tracks is a minimum 60 day suspension first offense383.51
Old 11-10-2001, 08:35 PM
razz

Default FL/TX DOT

Sounds like that jack-off cop was just running around trying to fill his ticketbook. TX? Well I won't go there--literally!!!