Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 01-13-2005, 10:09 PM
truckgal

Default Hotshot

What can you tell me about Hotshot truck/trailer work? Hauling 3 or 4 cars? Would there be a lot of deadheading? If you don't have a big cab you have to sleep in a motel if team driving. I don't like the sound of it, but we are considering it.

Better or worse money than tractor/trailer? Any other factors that you are aware of to consider?

Thanks.

Edit:
The way I understand it, you have a big pickup truck with a trailer. It could have a fifth wheel. You are under weight required for CDL so don't need one. Don't have to pay for truck school. Haul cars or other items. Be a o/o, company driver or have own authority.

It's just size difference I guess. My guy says you'd get paid "per car" per mile. 3 cars = 3 x mileage.

Pay less for fuel because of smaller truck.

Any other pros or cons?

I would be disappointed not to drive a big rig. Real disappointed. But maybe this makes sense.

Old 01-13-2005, 11:42 PM
ladyt2u

Default Truckgal

You mentioned AZ license previously so I assume you are in Ontario, Canada.

You will require a Class 3 license. Hauling a trailer loaded with 3 vehicles will put you over the 4540 kg. restriction on a Class 5 license. You will need to pass a road test with the truck and fifth wheel trailer.

If you go that route you will most likely need a dually...if you go with a normal half ton you won't have enough power/gear ratio. I am probably explaining this wrong...but just any truck will not do.

I don't see many small truck/trailer combinations hauling vehicles out here in Manitoba possibly in Ontario they are more popular....usually its a car transport semi-trailer.

If you go for your AZ (Class 1/CDL) then you could drive the Class 3 but still have the option of OTR in the future.

LT
Old 01-14-2005, 12:40 PM
truckgal

Default USA

We would be doing this in the USA. My guy says his back is too sore to bounce around much longer in a big rig and wants a comfortable ride.

Old 01-14-2005, 05:03 PM
bigdog

Default Hotshot

Done it for 15 years, started with Ford F450, wound up in Freightliner FL112. Went from no sleeper to 100" walk-in.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:40 PM
truckgal

Default limit

Well, when does it stop being "hotshot" and is just a regular semi? Is it the size of the cab or the trailer or both?

I would want to sleep in it, but not if it's a pick up. LOL

Does it pay well? Better than a semi hauler?
Old 01-14-2005, 09:12 PM
ladyt2u

Default ???

Are you just going to be a passenger then??

LT
Old 01-14-2005, 09:26 PM
truckgal

Default nope

We want to team drive. We don't expect to go double the distance of a solo driver, but say 75% more.

Instead of 550 miles a day, say 900. Sometimes we can really push it and do 1200 or so.

He says we can sleep better in the back seat of a pickup than in the berth of a cab because less bouncing and noise.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:41 PM
bigdog

Default Hotshot

Why not just get a job at home 9 to 5. Sleeping in the back seat of a pickup, doing 900 to 1,200 miles, you guys are an accident looking for a place to happen. What about safety, or your quality of life? Look up the requirements to qualify as a sleeper according to the DOT.�Why not just get a job at home 9 to 5. Sleeping in the back seat of a pickup, doing 900 to 1,200 miles, you guys are an accident looking for a place to happen. What about safety, or your quality of life? Look up the requirements to qualify as a sleeper according to the DOT.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:53 PM
truckgal

Default like I said

Like I said....I don't like this idea.

We would take turns sleeping in the back while the truck is moving but staying in a motel at night. I don't really get this so that's why I'm asking. He says we'd make enough to pay for a motel. But how? What if there is a lot of down time or deadheading?

He's suggested expeditited before too. We both like to work hard and we want to buy a house.

What would you suggest that is less than a semi? (i.e. less than $120,000 U.S.) Also saves the cost of school $4,000. So we can jump in and start making money and the $4,000 can be part of savings for down payment on a house. You understand what he is trying to do here. He is VERY safety conscience. He makes me feel very safe indeed. He'd rather sit out a bad road situation or crawl down the road than take risks. But he's not slouch either.

I can honestly say you can give him as much credit for knowing his stuff as you do. He's done this for 25 - 30 years. Clean record.

Old 01-15-2005, 12:02 AM
ladyt2u

Default ???

I must be missing something here...darn the blonde hair!!!

You are Cdn....he is American right??
You have a Cdn license class 5...he has an American CDL. I may be wrong but I don't think you will be allowed to drive on the American insurance of his vehicle especially if it is hauling commercial loads. You are not permitted to work in the US...you are a Cdn resident.

I am only trying to understand what it is you are hoping to do...I mean no harm in my comments or questions. As for the house dream...thats great...but getting in to a driving career is not going to happen overnight...it may take a couple of years of a lot of hard work and sacifice before you will even be making ends meet let alone the cost of owning a property.

I may have misinterpreted your plans but you seem to be running in different directions.

LT