Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 09-18-2005, 03:13 PM
ledford

Default I do not want my hubby to be a truck driver

So where do i begin. My husband and I have been married for 4 years we have a 10 month old and a 20 month old i do not work but am in college. He has decided that he wants to become a truck driver he has this idea that he can do deicated driving for 6 months to a year for exp. Then after that he will get a local job. So he wants to quit his job go to truck driving school and not have a paycheck for almost a month. They have put all these ideas in his head that he will be making 800+ a wk. and that he will be home on the weekends.I don't buy it and even if i did im having a hard time dealing with this. I feel like im working hard enough has it is and he won't be around. But if it is true that he will make this money and be home every weekend them maybe i can accpect this. Please can anyone give me any advice?
Old 09-18-2005, 06:37 PM
icantinaturner

Default I believe he's making a mistake.

If he thinks that as a newbie he is going to knock down $800 per week and be home weekends, he should come on this site and tell others how to do it. If he thinks that he'll get just a year of so of experience, and fall into a sweet local job, he could also be mistaken. It could happen, but generally there are all kinds of young (and some old) drivers who want to stay near their sweetie and will drive for peanuts to do it.

It sounds like you have a full plate with those little ones, school and a household to attend to. While he's in driving school and on the road, every probably becomes your problem and it will get old fast.

Driving is actually a very easy job. We hop in the truck and blow town, but in the meantime, everything goes wrong at home and the better half has to handle it. It takes an organized, self-sufficient partner to handle the homefront while we're gone, so clearly, the partner at home has the real tough job. If you don't like the idea of him trucking, every problem is going to be magnified. He needs to think things over a bit.

I wish you BOL.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:47 PM
ctrucker

Default don't want hubby to drive

i think i hear tammy wynette singing.
D-I-V-O-R-C-E
IT'S GONNA BE HARD.
just hang in there. i think hubby has been mis-informed.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:55 PM
bigsexy441

Default It may be tough

Well, I agree with rest, if you husband goes to Schneider, he may have a chance in making that kind of money in about 6 months. He might not even like being a Truck Driver, after what he has to go through. Only time will tell. If he decides to do this, he will have to have you by his side on this one.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:42 AM
crusty

Default driver

Your oldman is a moron if he thinks there is big money in trucking.Driveing over the road is a go no where job.Tell him to get his training and go to a temp agency and get on with them doing local work most will hire you with no experience and little questions.These guys telling him they make $800.00 a week are pumping him full of b.s.Most of these guys had one week in 52 where they made that kind of money and thats the week they remember not the 51 where they made $300.00 less their road expenses,medical insurance and other deductions. The $800.00 a week is the exception not the rule..
Old 09-21-2005, 07:38 AM
tonawandaladyhawk

Default My 2 cents....

Hello there,

I can understand your apprehension about your hubby becoming a truck driver. It is most definiltely is different type of lifestyle! Fist off I will say that it takes a special type of woman to be a truck driver's wife. It is not an easy thing to do. It isn't easy being the one that is home alone everynight, nor is it easy having to be the one that has to deal with everything that happens in the house etc., examples, dealing with the kids, dealing with home repairs etc. BUT it can be done! Many woman have dealt with it and have done so beautifully. What is important is that you both are on the same page. It is hard having your spouse away from home for such long periods of time and this is where keeping the lines of communication open come into play. The fact that your hubby seems to think that he will be able to go to school, get his training, get a dedicated route fresh out of training AND make $800.00 per week is a tad bit off. As others have pointed out to you already most "Newbies" do NOT make out this way. They usually have to pay their dues so to speak. I would suggest that your hubby do some more research on the subject, perhaps even come into the chatroom here on Layover and start asking some questions. Another idea would be to privately email those that have already responded to his post. I strongly suggest that the two of you sit down and talk openly and honestly about this. This way you both can express your concerns etc. As I have said before, do your research, ask lots of questions and try to make the best informed decision that works best for the both of you as well as your family. A career in driving truck is a lifestyle that has the potential to be successful, however nowadays it takes more than a determination to succeed. There are MANY other factors that enter into play here. Least of which is the price of diesel! He needs to consider how much it would cost for him to live out there compared to what he may be earning. As other's have pointed out previously, I highly doubt that he is going to start off making $800.00 per week, I would say maybe $300.00-$400.00 per week BEFORE taxes etc. He also should be considering the amount of time spent away from home and family. If he thinks that he will be home most weekends if he is lucky enough to get a dedicated run, or every 2 - 3 weeks otherwise, he needs to rethink this. Even well seasoned truckers are not that fortunate, and just because he thinks he has an understanding dispatcher, well think again. Not all are able to, or willing to go to such lengths. Get the facts first, talk about it with your hubby and both be open and honest. It can be done, but it don't come easy. The very best of luck to you both! Believe me when I say that NO career is worth you home & family! Good luck to you both and please keep us posted!