Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 03-09-2002, 02:27 AM
sean30

Default Is it worth it?

I have been reading posts for a few months now and am getting a feel for the trucking industry. I am poised on the verge of joining the truckers' ranks. I have been a local "4 wheel" courier for almost 8 years:600,000 miles worth..no bull. I LOVE to drive, I am single and am willing to hit the road and drive my A** off for at least two years.
My question is...If any of you old-timers(frankly, ANY experience) could start over, would you. Would you do anything different?
Old 03-09-2002, 08:43 AM
enstygatre

Default To answer your question...

If there were a way to go back and do things different, there would be a lot of things I'd change. Everyone makes mistakes, that they'd like to have not happened to start with. As for driving, I believe that I'd still be driving regardless. It's like any other occupation. There are things that **** about it, and there are things that are great. It's what you make of it.
Old 03-09-2002, 10:13 AM
blubird

Default Sean..

As far as the driving part...NO, no regrets. As Ensty put it, there are days that you will hate it,and many days that you just love it! Attitude plays the biggest part. A, "This too will pass" attitude on those bad days will help.I have seen a lot of this great country, met some of the best people and had some great experiences, that I will NEVER regret.

On the other hand, you asked if there was anything I WOULD change..YES. When you are young,and BIG,like myself , you have the impression that you can do anything. Especially lift and handle anything.With no thought as to how your body pays for that were and tear as you get older. Sooo... in short don't think that because you are young and strong that you can do anything. You don't have to show off for anyone.

I don't know if this is coming out clear to you so i'll try and clarify.

DON'T use yourself as a human crane and try and show off by moving equipment and lifting heavy loads by yourself (just because you can, or just don't want to wait,or ask, for help) all the time.
If I hadn't done that I would probably not be in the position I am in now with these bad knees.

You have got to look out for your health, Sean. When it goes, it's NOT fun anymore!
Just take this as a bit of very honest advice, from one who's been there.

I wish you the VERY best of luck! It is definetely an experience, and , most assuredly "what you make of it".

BOL, BB
Old 03-09-2002, 04:01 PM
cdn_drifter

Default Would I ???

When I started it was fun and I made money. Going back to that point in time the only thing I would change would be my investments. For me, to start out now,..I would have to say no I would not as there is far to much gov`t interference and to much electronic surveilance...
Be Safe
Old 03-09-2002, 08:46 PM
messyme

Default ...

Would I do it over again?

In a minute, maybe sooner!
Old 03-09-2002, 09:59 PM
wallyg8tor

Default Would I do it over, huh?

What an easy question to answer...uhm...uhm...what was the question again?....uhm...uhm...Oh yeah would I do it all over again?....uhm...uhm...do what all over again?....Oh yeah....Man, why do you ask all the hard questions dude....what was your question again?....uhm...oh yeah, probably I would except I would drive a Scwanns truck because I like the products on board and I'd purposely out date them so I could eat em all! Wouldn't be much of a salesman but you could watch me drive down the road in a scwanns truck munchin on a box of those hot pockets or perhaps an ice cream.

No I'm not looney just hornery tonight. I don't really have any regrets. Except I'd probably stick to the agricultural side such as hauling the cows, hay, water, implements, etc. Everybody has their niche and I just like haulin for all the farms and ranches. Instead of going to warehouses, etc.
Old 03-09-2002, 11:27 PM
sean30

Default So..........it IS worth it.....

Thanks for all the great input and encouragement.