Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 03-20-2003, 10:14 PM
blackoak

Default Kenworth vs Peterbilt

I'm looking for the opinion of owner-operators out there. Kenworth's w900 vs Peterbilt's 379. I'm aware that both manufacturers are subsidiaries of PACCAR, and that often times a parent company will declare one product line a "flagship" over another. Specifically, I'm looking for comparisons with regard to quality construction, maintenance issues, durability, comfort, initial out-of-pocket, and resale value. Of course I could talk to dealerships and distributors all day, but it's the driver's point of view I'm interested in.

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2003, 06:34 PM
blackoak

Default no response?

Hasn't anyone driven either one of these?
Old 03-22-2003, 12:09 AM
razz

Default KW VS Pete

IMHO----Kenworth W900 hands down--more room inside and I think better looking.
OR like Big Joe a Western Star--be different from the crowd--everybody and their **** cousin has a Pete.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:41 AM
icantinaturner

Default Pencil it out...

I agree with Razz' post if you want to look good going down the road, but think you should put the pencil to it. If you're trying to make a buck with a generic company, I'd forget style and go for affordability and fuel economy.

With a large car versus an aerodynamic truck you're giving away at least 1+ MPG for every gallon burned or ball park $5 - 6+ K per year. Is the difference in depreciation that much? I seriously doubt it.

There is a big difference in what you're going to get at trade-in time and what the dealer prices your cruiser for when he puts it on the lot.

If you're making great money hauling in a niche market, it might not make much difference what you drive. If you're hauling for a generic company, I think you'd be foolish to go with a rooster cruiser. Unless you have a serious down payment and finance for a relatively short time, I think you would be silly to get anything right now.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:05 AM
bigjoe

Default Petes & KW's

Peterbilt has long since been riding on their name. Way over rated. I can't see what the fuss is all about.

You want class! You want styling? good looks? A smooth comfortable ride? plenty of room?

Then the choice is obvious. Western Star. The best truck ever made.

I have owned 2 KW's. Good trucks. Far exceeds the Petes. Much better sleeper configuration as well. But falls short measurng up to the Western Star.

Icantina offers great advice. An aerodynamic truck makes all the sense in the world. While not as 'macho' as it's long nosed counterparts the fuel savings is tremendous and with fuel at today's prices that consideration is tantamount.

Aero trucks offer styling, comfort and a good ride at an affordable cost.

And thats the bottom line because Big Joe said so.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:31 AM
blubird

Default You guys..

beat me to the punch.

IMHO KW AND Pete are, and have been riding their names for several years.

Overpriced and over rated, again IMHO.

Give me a Century Class any day. If you want a good, cheap and reliable truck and wanna make some money.

Sure ,you wont impress anybody at the T/S , but,if you factor in the money you save on the intial purchase $$ ,and the fuel savings, you will more than make up for the hit you'll take on trade in.

You wont get ****, but then again ,you havent spent nearly as much either.

And, during the time you had it ,you probably got at least 1-2 mpg better fuel mileage.
Old 03-22-2003, 10:14 AM
angelface

Default Are you kidding?

Western Stars are UGLY!! ;^)~

Old 03-22-2003, 02:31 PM
administrator

Default Angelface....

This message has been removed due to a violation of layover.com's posting guidelines. For more information, please follow the URL link below.

layover.com Staff
Old 03-22-2003, 04:21 PM
razz

Default Another idea..........

I knew I's get something started(: Another idea is the 9400i International with a 72" highrise Pro sleeper. That's my ride and it's a **** good reliable truck. Particularly with the ISX Cummins engine. Just a thought--icantinaturner gave you very good advice on the aerodyne type tractor, and the 9400i falls in that class, and you can set the computer to any speed you want, although I'd stay at the 65-68 mph range for best fuel economy.
BTW---Angelface--Stars ain't ugly!!!! Petes are ugly.
Old 03-23-2003, 12:24 PM
bigjoe

Default At last

I am glad to see the administrator is finally doing his job...At last!

And thats the bottom line because Big Joe said so.