Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 03-03-2001, 05:05 PM
duncan

Default livestock hauling

I have 2yrs OTR van experience but I want to
haul livestock instead. I have found it difficult to break into given the fact that
I have no ex and limited contacts. Can anyone
give me some advise on how I can get a start
for myself? thanks
Old 03-03-2001, 07:03 PM
bluetick

Default dangerous

Just a rookie with a year under my belt and I never done any bullhaulin but I've been around enough livestock to know bullhaulin is some pretty dangerous stuff. It's far worse than swingin meat. Cant count the big shiny Petes pullin bullwagons I seen layin over on their side in the ditch or median. Those guys are ALWAYS in a hurry when loaded. Just a word of caution to you. Bullhaulers are a breed apart. I have more respect for bullhauler than any other type of trucker (ice truckers are wusses). Bullhaulers got nerve, lots of it..
Old 03-03-2001, 08:16 PM
jerseyfilly

Default li vestock, things to consider

I don't know if you have any back ground with farm work so I will start with the basic. I have not hauled any bullracks, but spent the first four and a half years of driving hauling a 15 horse tractor trailer to all the major racetracks from NY to FL and KY. Your duties as a driver will increase in ways that some might find distastful. As a livestock driver you are responsible for the proper loading and securing of the animals, this will sometimes mean that you can be kicked, stepped on or squashed against the fence, trailer ect,by the animals. During your trip you must make sure that they are traveling well, not too hot, cold, or hurt and down in the trailer. Most livestock haulers run teams to get the load to the destiation as fast as possible. Most bullracks are slaughter house bound, they have to be alive and standing at delivery.(nothing worse then having to yank a 1000 lb dead animal off at the end of a trip) After unloading the trailer must be washed out and disinfected for the next load. This job really ****s in the summer when it is 100 degrees out and you are covered in flies, not so great in the winter either when all the manure is frozen to the floor and you have to chip it out. As for driving a load of animals you have to take ALL turns very slow as they lean and shift to keep their balance and when starting and stopping also with great care, ease them into any move you have to make with the truck, if you don't they can lose their balance and fall. Sometimes if you do not have a full load and they have too much room they suddenly decide they want to stand on the other side of the trailer WATCH OUT on a road with high center and low shoulder this can cause you to flip, I have seen it happen. If this is still something that you would like to try see if there are any feed lots or auctions near you, talk to some of the drivers, see if they will let you ride with them on a day trip if you offer to help, most likely you will be mucking out the trailer, as it takes a while to learn how to handle the critters and stay safe. I am not trying to talk you out of this. I loved it when I was working with the animals but have now found a great job hauling tankers and home every night. Best of luck to you, e-mail me if you have any more questions and I will try to help. Cathy
Old 03-07-2001, 09:14 AM
taillight

Default we are a special breed

hey so you want to drive a bull wagon i am 24 and i have been hauling cattle since i was 16 for my dad know i run cross country but you have to want to run hard drive fast and take alot of pride in your truck and you have to set low in the seat we are the last amercian outlaws so good luck and i hope you don't like to sleep
Old 03-07-2001, 09:44 AM
jeb1

Default Ahhh

<you have to want to run hard drive fast and take alot of pride in your truck and you have to set low in the seat - taillight

Why, if I may ask?

jb
Old 03-09-2001, 12:20 PM
bullrack

Default bull hauling

I started hauling livestock when i turned 18yrs old and have been doing it ever since i am 28 now.i was raised on a farm all my life and had alot of experience at it. when i first started driveing it was for a company that had 2 trucks.at the age of 19 i bought my first truck and pull a trailer for the company i worked for at the age of 20 i bought my first trailer.today i have 2 of the nicest looking petes on the road both show trucks and 2 brand new trailers.i haul livestock 48 states and mexico, the main thing is not eveyone is cut out to do it cause you dont sleep when your loaded olny when your empty.I read the message that some woman posted that she hauled horses well let me tell you that hauling horses is alot differnt than hauling cattle,hogs,sheep and goats.i dont know where she got her info from but its all wrong.In my 10yrs at it ive never once seen a team pulling a bullrack. someday when you get your chance at trying it people look down at us cause of what we do and how we do it, but i think there just jealous that we have nicer trucks than them all decked out with chorme and lites.Taillite said it rite that we all ride low and people hate us for that.duncan maybe you should try to get a local farm job for awhile and get experience with livestock then you should beable to get a chance.also one other thing i've seen more trucks other than bullracks flipped over in the ditch.the bottom line is people just like to run there mouthes good luck to ya duncan and maybe some day i'll see ya on the road. BULLRACK
Old 03-09-2001, 12:58 PM
kwhopper

Default PARANOID or WHAT

Get real there are alot of nice trucks on the road today pulling everything from DUMPS to **** TANKS not only cattle haulers and their mobile barnyards have nice looking trucks.

As for driving fast that only works for awhile theres this thing called THE LAW and it clamps down on all of us including the " LAST AMERICAN OUTLAWS "
Old 03-09-2001, 12:59 PM
kwhopper

Default PARANOID or WHAT

Oh and SHOW TRUCKS do not GENERATE anymore income than any other truck. I have a show quality truck and trailer and have had 7 others in my time as an O/O.
Old 03-09-2001, 10:04 PM
bullrack

Default are you jealous kw

geez did i make you mad kw i dont care what you think you know or what you do. kw we dont have time to mess arond like slow people like you but i guess you know it all about hauling livestock so you must be a SUPER TRUCKER ya theres tons of people like you.like i said before i dont care what you people say. SO PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT SUPER TRUCKER. ps. my truck does make more money from the way it looks
Old 03-10-2001, 03:23 PM
bluetick

Default wanta be a bullhauler

Almost forgot. Dont forget to bring some chicken feed with ya. hehe