Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 06-01-2001, 02:07 PM
squeak57

Default MEDICATION AND DOT PHYSICAL

HI,
I PASSED MY DOT PHYSICAL EXCEPT I TAKE A PARTICULAR MEDICATION AT NIGHT TO SLEEP DUE TO BACK PAIN. MY DOCTOR WILL WRITE A LETTER TO SEND IN AS AN EXPLANATION THAT IT WILL NOT HAMPER MY DRIVING ABILITY. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA HOW LONG THIS PROCESS MIGHT TAKE AND/OR IF THE DOCTOR'S LETTER COULD BE REJECTED? IS IT REVIEWED BY A MEDICAL BOARD? THANKS SQUEAK57
Old 06-01-2001, 05:32 PM
fozzy

Default You need to think about this....

First of all....lose the CAPS...please

***I PASSED MY DOT PHYSICAL EXCEPT I TAKE A PARTICULAR MEDICATION AT NIGHT TO SLEEP DUE TO BACK PAIN.***

If you take a pain med to SLEEP you are in all honesty dangerous to be behind the wheel of a truck! There are NO set schedules for you to rest and the meds you take WILL affect your body FAR longer than the 8 or less hours you will have to sleep to be affective. There is no "night" or "day" in this industry. If you plan on joining this career, you need to seek other ways to get this rest OTHER than a drug..

***MY DOCTOR WILL WRITE A LETTER TO SEND IN AS AN EXPLANATION THAT IT WILL NOT HAMPER MY DRIVING ABILITY.***

I'm thinking that this doctor could get in some legal trouble here..he and you really need to be careful here...

***DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA HOW LONG THIS PROCESS MIGHT TAKE AND/OR IF THE DOCTOR'S LETTER COULD BE REJECTED? IS IT REVIEWED BY A MEDICAL BOARD? THANKS SQUEAK57***

You may indeed get a letter from you doctor to carry and use these meds..however there are alot of carriers who will NOT consider you for employment with back problems..ESPECIALLY if you are on meds for pain at the current time.

Have you even thought about the rigors of this job as it relates to your back? The long periods sitting and lack of movement, the vibrations, the shocks on the spine from bad roads when your body is fatigued all lead to problems sometimes for healthy people.

You also almost certainly WILL be required at times to do HARD physical labor to unload trailers. If you honestly had to unload 44 thousand + pounds of freight (we'll say a floor load of boxed meat) and stack the boxes for about three or four hours straight..then drive for a few hundred miles before you go to bed....then you will have few problems..

Look Before You Leap....
Old 06-01-2001, 10:49 PM
doggyman

Default medication

You can find out if it is o.k. for you to drive on the medication you are takeing just by calling your local motor vechile dept.Most maintain a list of those that are o.k. or not o.k. Most that effect your sleep will be banned for use while driveing o.t.r. you can call a large company such as werner tell them you are interested in driveing for them and that you take a medication give them the name and they will tell you in a minute if they will hire you or not.You may have to change medications.
Old 06-02-2001, 05:04 AM
swervinmervin

Default Medications

Your not gonna get hired anywhere for your own good. You are a liablity to any prospective carrier as soon as you mention "back" Good luck bro'
Old 06-02-2001, 07:48 AM
squeak57

Default meds and cdl

thanks to all for their replies to my question. foz, sorry about the caps. i did not realize you were so sensitive. hmm... and you make your living on the road?

doggyman, thanks. you're cool.

there are many reasons to pursue the cdl which are neither semi nor heavy-lifting related.

think i came to the wrong place for my info. you folks must be strictly semi drivers i'm just a small potato. thanks for your time. squeak57
Old 06-02-2001, 10:44 AM
primerib

Default What's the big deal?,,,

Lot's of people take medication for one
thing or another and drive the big truck.
If it doesn't effect your ability to stay
alert on the job you can take anything
you like as long as it's lawful.
The book says you can't take anything
that'll make you drowsy WHILE ON DUTY.
If you need to take presciptions that
do you must wait until you're off.
If it shows up on a drug scan just show
them the bottle.
The rest is their problem -- not yours.

-rib

Old 06-02-2001, 10:53 AM
ladytrucker2u

Default No...Squeak57

You didn't come to the wrong place for an answer....Doggyman proved that. Your question is on a very touchy subject thats all.

There are more non drivers here than drivers....but overall it is a good group of people. Most are very knowledgeable and helpful.

LadyT is in the process of being a trainee....I have my Class 1A (Canada)...you call it a CDL....but I still have to go through an on the job training period to get experience....so I don't know anything about drug testing etc...but I read the posts to learn these things.

Now for your problem....well if your CDL isn't going to be used for an actual driving job then what do you plan to use it for?? Whether you drive OTR ....city driver....whatever...it will still be hard sitting for any length of time.....even the clutching and shifting will cause you agony.......you gotta trust old LadyT on that one!!! My heavyhauler was in such pain(not LadyT's fault guys!!)that there would be tears in his eyes and we are talking about 6'4...mean and lean...back problems show no mercy.

Have you tried not taking the medication for any amount of time???....maybe you needed it for an injury but now you could wean yourself off it....ask your Dr. about trying that. As for your Dr. writing a letter and getting himself in trouble....not going to happen.....they would not put themselves in that predicament...he would just tell you...NO...this med is not safe for driving a commercial vehicle........but he may suggest an alternative.......your Dr. is who should be giving you advice.

Guess LadyT was not of much help to you...wrong subject....but just thought I would talk with you for a spell. Now...just keep asking questions...its ok....some questions are on touchy subjects and will get an array of different type posts.....some will make you angry...some will actually help you and then some will just make you laugh......sometimes...laughter....is the best medicine....K???????

LadyT
Old 06-02-2001, 06:26 PM
squeak57

Default meds & cdl

Thanks LadyT and Primerib. Guess it is a touchy subject. I'm sure touchy about it. This is all about my husband. He worked 22 years at construction labor. Has back nerve problems and such. Takes Elavil for back pain although it's a heavy duty tricyclitic (spelling?) anti-depressant. Takes the stuff at night only. He says the weakness in his left (clutch) leg is helped by the med. Now he can no longer labor at commercial construction and has a shot at the county road crew. He'd be great at it. Day job-variety of tasks. He was well aware he had to get off the Elavil before winter due to snowplowing. He passed the written test but got blown out of the water on the medical exam due to the meds. He has already started tapering off the meds but is stuck with a doctor who cannot legally, or ethically pass him. Our family doctor is willing to write a letter explaining to the medical board that the meds are taken at night only and that he is tapering off so he can try a less drowsy-type med for the discomfort and weakness. Meanwhile, if the county calls to offer the job, he is without his permit. He knows he can't get up and plow on the stuff and is getting off but the law is the law and we're both darned glad that drivers of large vehicles are not allowed to be doped up. My original post did not explain things properly and I invited the criticism myself. Seems the harder my husband tries to do the proper thing and get a job he can stay with, the more obstacles he encounters. Some folks cannot work at desks and cooped up inside. Thanks again for the help. By the way, does the permit allow a driver to drive with a licensed CDL driver? Or just allow them to take the skills test. Even if the county job goes to pot, he is determined to get this CDL and find work driving large dumps or concrete trucks. Thanks again all. Squeak57
Old 06-02-2001, 06:34 PM
squeak57

Default Best of luck, LadyT

LadyT,
I got long winded on my reply and failed to wish you well on your training. Until I helped my husband study for his written exam I had no idea of the responsibilities of a truck driver, the problems they might encounter and the skill involved in avoiding accidents with a huge vehicle. I have a newfound respect for the large vehicles and understand now why they must make certain moves on the road and at intersections. I'll be keeping my little Skylark well out of their paths from now on!! Thanks again for your post and all the best to you. Squeak57
Old 06-02-2001, 07:01 PM
highheels

Default I Like Medication

All kidding aside a "Bad Back" is a Red Flag to most companies, re; Compensation.