Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 12-06-2004, 04:11 PM
mdb34

Default "No Touch" Freight vs. "Drop & Hook"

Please tell me what is the difference? A while ago, someone posted a question about a company having them pick up a 60-75 lb. box and place it on a shelf several times in a row as part of the physical. I did not think this was necessary as there are people who are supposed to load and unload the freight, so what am I missing here?
Old 12-06-2004, 04:38 PM
fozzy

Default Most companies advertise...

Their "low" percentage of "no touch" freight. This does not mean that you will NEVER be required to unload freight. If you read the job description of position, you will read about what companies require. This is to protect the companies from incurring financial damage and loss of customers and in my opinion totally justified! If you end up at a receiver and there are NO lumpers and the customer requires something to be broken down or separated, then YOU have been contractially obligated by the company as their employee and representative to do your job.

I've seen some drivers throw some really childish tantrums when asked to do something as minimal as COUNTING freight. Unloading freight is not the most fun part of the job, but sometimes it is a neccessary part of the job. If you look around a lot of truck stops, there needs to be a little less sitting around and a lot more exercising anyway. :)

Fozzy
Old 12-06-2004, 04:43 PM
mdb34

Default LOL-I...

won't touch that last sentence, but thank you for clearing that up-LOL
Old 12-06-2004, 04:44 PM
mdb34

Default Another Question, though...

When you DO have to unload or load, do you use a forklift or what?
Old 12-06-2004, 07:44 PM
raisnldy

Default lumper me

rarely to i unload unless it is apparent that i will spend eternity at that company unless i do it myself. it is usually a company that isn't prepared for me and so u do it by hand. once i spent a nice summer day unloading candy in alabama for a school project. it was about 100+ degrees and no forklift in sight.4 hrs later after dragging,pushing etc the guy in charge offered me a candy bar for my effort. what i wanted to do with that candy bar can't be printed in this forum!
Old 12-07-2004, 05:54 AM
fozzy

Default Usually to fit freight in a trailer...

They have to stack different items on the same pallet.

Most places you go will not accept the loads unless the product is separated onto separate pallets.

There are some places that will not accept freight if it is not "downstacked" to fit into their racks where they store the stuff.

There are "tie" (the number of cases per layer) and "high" (the number of layers allowed on a single pallet. If you bring in a load of "something" and its "12 tie 6 high" and the place wants it 12 tie and 4 high, then two layers must be removed and restacked on another pallet.

Some places will not take product on large standard pallets and will insist that the product be re-stacked onto "small wood"

99% of the time the trucking company will pay for a "lumper" ( a rather seedy individual who restacks or "lumps" freight). You must still find the lumper and "make the deal".

This is VERY important! DO NOT EVER HIRE A LUMPER WITHOUT PRIOR APPROVAL FROM YOUR COMPANY!!!!! If your at a warehouse and there needs to be two layers of papertowels removed from 26 pallets, and some lumper wants $250.00 bucks to do it, you'll probably end up doing it and making the $20-$40 that the company will pay you to save money. Some of these lumpers are getting ridiculous with their prices.

Fozzy
Old 12-07-2004, 08:00 AM
gone2ride

Default Welp,

I just unload the grain bins of my truck. I open them and stand back and that's it.

However, when I worked for a big company only ONCE did I have to actually break down a load. I did it but wasn't happy about it. So after that, I made a point to find a lumper. I agree, the prices were starting to get silly and out of line.

I figger, at my age, let the young'uns do the unload jobs. I can understand Swifts wanting you to do a physical. I knew a recruiter there and he said the stuff people try to put by them then blame Swift. So Swift got tough back. Only fair, I think.

Happy Trails :-)
Old 12-07-2004, 09:59 AM
gpsman

Default "No Touch" Freight vs. "Drop & Hook"

Both terms fall under the "no touch" category.

No touch means someone else will do the loading/unloading of the trailer.

Drop & hook means you simply drop an empty trailer and hook to a full trailer (or verse-veesa) and split. Sometimes you'll have to do a d&h during business hours, sometimes the load will just be waiting in a "drop-yard" but, either way, don't forget the paperwork...
-----

- gpsman
Old 12-07-2004, 08:14 PM
truckgal

Default lumpers

Where does one find these lumpers? Do you just wave a dollar or two at anyone in the warehouse?
Old 12-07-2004, 11:55 PM
gpsman

Default Lumpers...

... will usually find you or the warehouse will direct you to them. When you check in the consignee will usually ask if you want a lumper or intend to unload the trailer yourself.
-----

- gpsman