Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 01-21-2006, 02:34 PM
rcramton

Default percentage of load

I just started teaming for a company that is paying 30% per load. We are considered employees. Do we have the right to see the Invoice before we take the load, to make sure that we are getting paid correctly? Is 30% a fair rate of pay?
Old 01-21-2006, 03:38 PM
joerockhead

Default % of load

You fair labour practices dept may say you have the right to see it, your employer may not. Is it 30% of the full gross or 30% of the linehaul...could be a big difference. While I would only work on a % basis or by the hour, it really comes down to a couple of things. Can you refuse a load if it doesn't pay you enough (probably not) and do you TRUST who you work for.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:31 AM
torkwench

Default percentage of load pay.

30% of a $1.00 a mile is $.30cpm, and split that for a team = not much.
$.30cpm for a solo is the same minus the split part.
30% of pay to the truck is all well and fine except for the mileage incurred: short hauls sometimes tend to pay better somewhat, where long hauls are what they are.
Is this % pay on ALL miles, dead-head AND loaded??
When I drove for % pay in '99, I was paid one rate for loaded (24%) and less for empty (20%). 30% ain't much increase since '99, yet this is just MY opinion.
Will you be under Forced Dispatch as stated in another post??
If I cannot view the paperwork or the information describing the load, then I cannot accept the load, for I refuse to haul what I don't know is in the trailer
(as in the hooking to a sealed trailer).

I hope you two venture well and I hope you prosper well!!

torkwench .)
Old 01-22-2006, 12:49 PM
riblix

Default %

i wouldnt drive for % as a company driver. your company is probably willing to haul anything no matter what it pays. no company is going to pay their driver 30% of a $2 per mile load, think about it. you will probably find yourself making about .15-.20 per mi. and no home time at all. your better off driving as a solo and getting paid per mile. not many companies pay less than .30 if you got at least 1 yr. exp.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:18 AM
thippy

Default % pay

I totally agree here. Everyone seems to think getting % is better than mileage. Think of it this way...A company can go out and low ball a bid to get their foot in the door of a company. When they do this who takes the cut? The driver. If the driver is getting paid mileage he gets the same $$ regardless of how bad a job the salesman did getting the account. Let the company take the hit for the $$$.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:39 AM
bigjoe

Default %

The advantages/disadvantages of a mileage over percentage contract depend on the type of freight the company chooses to solicit.

Companies hauling the cheaper freight would have an even higher turnover if they paid percentage. So to retain drivers they pay mileage.

For a company hauling high value premium freight a driver would be taking a beating on a mileage contract. Most companies offering such freight still pay mileage simply because "thats too much money to pay a driver".

As an O/O I refuse to run under a mileage contract. I have the right of refusal on any load and I do refuse cheap freight. I have a much better earning potential under percentage.

As a company driver you would most likely not be able to refuse a load. This could cause you to get screwed royally under percentage. And remember under percentage the empty miles are usually on you. The rate must be strong enough under percentage to justify long deadheads.

The moral of the story: 30% of nothing is nothing.

And thats the bottom line because Big Joe said so.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:32 AM
jelleybeans

Default Percentage

One thing to watch out for is the dead head miles. If the truck don't get paid then you don't either. I worked for a O/O that would dead head me from Detroit back to SE Ohio and pay me nothing for it. Later I found out that the company that we went up there for was paying him to get me back so I could take another load out for them. Good Luck
Old 01-27-2006, 11:34 AM
mk_simon

Default percentage

Iam a owner op.most loads pay over a buck do the math.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:01 PM
terminalmanager

Default Percentage

% pay, cents-per-mile, cents-per-box ala FedEx Ground...all are shell-games to rook you out of what you should be getting: hourly pay with time-and-a-half after 40.

Too many large-car cowboys willing to hobo around the country for 3 hots and a cot.

Old 01-31-2006, 02:47 PM
blakowt

Default open....

"Three hots and a cot", hmmmm.
Who can afford this type pleasure,eh??, unless one is "Hot"ting in ones truck.
I figure 5 to 7 Hots a week is just durn tootin', where the rest of the meals are cooler food (pun intended).
The "cot" is a constant since I do not slip-seat.

Thanx fur yur tym!!

~blakowt~ .)