Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 06-01-2006, 02:12 AM
kaje

Default pet friendly co. search

Ok, so I want to drive and I'm doing research on schools & companies and company training all the pros & cons and the one question I can't seem to find an answer for is "which of these companies are pet friendly AND suit my needs?" Is there any quick way to pin point pet friendly companies? My eyes are hurting from clicking between five pages to compare companies Any suggestions, insights, etc. would be most helpful and appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2006, 11:17 AM
sealord

Default Companies

Call 'em. They'll break out along these lines: No way, big deposit, small deposit to clean the truck after the pet has been in it. BOL
Old 06-01-2006, 05:19 PM
tombstonebilly

Default Pets

As a newbie you most likely will not be able to take a pet with you during training and when you get your own truck you will be given a truck that most likely will need a good cleaning with ammonia and water inside the cab and under the bunks, that dissolves most of the smell so your pet wont go in the same place the last drivers pet went to pee or poop.But as a good side, I used to take my dog with me (8 pounds) and stopped a lot more in rest areas and not in truck stops, so make sure you have plenty of fresh water from a good source( gallon bottle) not all rest areas have good water and will upset your pets stomach.If you have a small dog you will get a lot of attention from other people when you give it walks.
PS. A small cute dog is a chick magnet !
Old 06-12-2006, 03:30 AM
docwolf

Default Small dog big dog

So are large dogs! Took my 80# shepherd mix with me OTR and everyone he took his tennis ball to was more than happy to play! The biggest advantage is exactly what you said: they'll make you take your rest breaks.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:33 AM
suzanner

Default pets

I believe MOST companies will let you take a pet as long as you pay a deposit. Ours was $500 and we got it all back (this was Digby truck lines about 8 years ago). You will probably NOT be able to take your pet while you train (as noted in another post). Anyway, I love having my dog with me- he makes life more fun. Yes, you'll get out and walk around more. I find that talking to the dog (who can't understand you or talk back) is more rewarding than talking on the c.b. radio... he he.