Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 10-19-1998, 03:56 PM
g

Default pre/post trip inspection/report

Must a truck be inspected before and after a trip?
I guess I've been doing it wrong. I've always done a pre-trip and filled out the back of the log (insp) at trip start. Been reading the regs which say insp. must be filled out at end of trip. Do I have to inspect it again? Or can I enter the pre-trip inspection time on the post-trip inspection report?

Old 10-19-1998, 05:04 PM
Ski

Default Re: pre/post trip inspection/report

g l on 10/19/98 3:56 PM said:

>>Must a truck be inspected before and after a trip?>>
>>I guess I've been doing it wrong. I've always done a pre-trip and filled out the back of the log (insp) at trip start. Been reading the regs which say insp. must be filled out at end of trip. Do I have to inspect it again? Or can I enter the pre-trip inspection time on the post-trip inspection report?>>
>>
>>
>>Posted By: 209.86.79.139 (209.86.79.139)
>>
The regulations only require a post trip inspection and verification that it was done. However, the rules also state that before you operate the vehicle you must be satisfied that it is in satisfactory condition.

Old 10-19-1998, 05:08 PM
BEDSPREAD

Default Safety First Driver

>Must a truck be inspected before and after a trip?

Yes...

>I guess I've been doing it wrong. I've always done a pre-trip and filled out the back of the log (insp) at trip start.

That`s a good practice...shows enforcement you are a safe and conscientious driver...

>Been reading the regs

Fascinating reading, isn`t it?

>which say insp. must be filled out at end of trip.

Yes...

>Do I have to inspect it again?

Yes...

>Or can I enter the pre-trip inspection time on the post-trip inspection report?

No...

Read FMCSR 49CFR Part 396.11 and 396.13...these should spell out the procedure for you...

At the BEGINNING of a trip/tour of duty, a driver must perform a pre-trip inspection...he must also review the PREVIOUS day`s/tour VCR (Vehicle Condition Report) and satisfy himself that the unit(s) were inspected and if found defective, repaired or maintenance/shop tech signed it off stating the defect was not a hazard or a danger to the motoring public.

At the END of a trip/tour of duty, the unit must be POST TRIPPED and record that activity in the Vehicle Condition Report, which is carried in the power unit...

Don`t let the term "day" confuse you...that vehicle must be pre/post tripped for every ten hour driving period or fraction thereof...you may perform more than one pre-trip/post-trip event in a twenty four hour period. This also applies if you keep and drive the same vehicle...you drop and hook...you do a vehicle inspection...

The regulations don`t stipulate a set time to record these activities on your log sheet...but a minmum of fifteen minutes should be shown for EACH event...also, the event should be included in the remarks section, i.e. pre-trip and/or post trip and any inspection you perform during your tour...

You will really thank yourself if a crash occurs (whether your fault or not) and the DOT man sees those inspections performed and recorded.

Old 10-19-1998, 11:05 PM
Ralph

>>I guess I've been doing it wrong. I've always done a pre-trip and filled out the back of the log (insp) at trip start. Been reading the regs which say insp. must be filled out at end of trip. Do I have to inspect it again? Or can I enter the pre-trip inspection time on the post-trip inspection report?>>
>>
>>
>>
>>>>>>All ya have to do is a pre-trip in the morning before
ya hit the road, once ya park it, and go to bed,what can go
wrong? If something does go wrong at night, then you will
catch it in the morning when you do your pre-trip.
Don't wast your time with the post-trip

Old 10-19-1998, 11:08 PM
Ralph

>>
>>
>>
>>>>>>All ya have to do is a pre-trip in the morning before
ya hit the road, once ya park it, and go to bed,what can go
wrong? If something does go wrong at night, then you will
catch it in the morning when you do your pre-trip.
Don't wast your time with the post-trip

Old 10-20-1998, 01:46 AM
BEDSPREAD

Default In Other Words Ralph...

>All ya have to do is a pre-trip in the morning before ya hit the road, once ya park it, and go to bed,what can go wrong?

Oh, alot of things can go wrong after driving for ten hours...

>If something does go wrong at night, then you will catch it in the morning when you do your pre-trip.

Wouldn`t it be better if it was caught at the end of the trip so it could be repaired and not interfere with your trip time?

>Don't wast your time with the post-trip

Oh beautiful...in other words, ignore the regulations? I suppose you and your employing carrier have no regards for highway safety but spreading this attitude to others isn`t correct.

Are you going to pay his citation after he gets caught?

This is the MAIN reason for stepped up enforcement, ignorance of and total disregard for the FMCSR...you cite verse and chapter and Super Trucker still thinks he is above it...sheesh...

Old 10-21-1998, 03:53 PM
g

Default Re: Safety First Driver

I can not find in the regs where it says a post trip inspection must be done. Only a post trip REPORT is required. The only actual inspection mentioned is the pre trip except for school busses. I'm sure it is good safety practice to inspect twice a day but is it required by law?
Can you point me to the reg which mentions post trip INSPECTION?

Old 10-21-1998, 04:54 PM
g

Disregard my previous reply, I have found the answer. This is taken from the regulatory guidance at the url you supplied.

Question 25: Section 396.11 requires the driver, at the completion of each day's work, to prepare a written report on each vehicle operated that day. Does this section require a "post trip inspection" of the kind described in 396.15?

Guidance: No. However, the written report must include all defects in the parts and accessories listed in 396.11(a) that were discovered by or reported to the driver during that day.

Old 10-21-1998, 05:00 PM
g

Disregard my previous reply, I have found the answer. This is taken from the regulatory guidance at the url you supplied.

Question 25: Section 396.11 requires the driver, at the completion of each day's work, to prepare a written report on each vehicle operated that day. Does this section require a "post trip inspection" of the kind described in 396.15?

Guidance: No. However, the written report must include all defects in the parts and accessories listed in 396.11(a) that were discovered by or reported to the driver during that day.

Old 10-21-1998, 05:07 PM
BEDSPREAD

Default Observant Little Cuss...Ain`t He?

>I can not find in the regs where it says a post trip inspection must be done. Only a post trip REPORT is required. The only actual inspection mentioned is the pre trip except for school busses.

And correct you are sir...the answer to your argument can be found at the URL below...scroll down to Question 25 (You will be in the Regulatory Guidance of the site)

>I'm sure it is good safety practice to inspect twice a day but is it required by law?

No...I stand corrected...but the puzzling question is...how can you truthfully fill out the report if you never leave the driver`s seat?

>Can you point me to the reg which mentions post trip INSPECTION?

Go Ahead!...Keep Rubbing It In!...sheesh...