Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 02-26-1999, 12:29 AM
David

Default PRIME? Good Deal?

I am about to make a move to Prime, Inc. Looking at leasing a unit from them and get this thing a-roll'n for myself. Anyone have any solid advice for me here? Anything that they havent told me that I should know?

I SURE appreciate it!

Old 02-26-1999, 04:27 PM
Daven "Sarge"

Default Re: PRIME? Good Deal?

Dave,
I first leased a truck from Prime in 1988. At that time they were a good (real good) company. Small enough to care about the drivers yet big enough to have the miles to allow a driver to make a good living. The miles are still there, but the attitude has changed. A person can still make a good living there, but you will have to work your butt off to do it. If you have a family tell them that you will see them about once a month. I will caution you to be prepared to run HARD (VERY HARD), to make it there. I leased for three (3) years and put $39,000.00 into an investment, that was after I put both of my daughters through school, supported my sister in ID and my wife's girlfriend in KY. However, my wife ran with me and we got home about 10 times in those 3 years. I then worked in safety and orientation for a while. I now am leased to another company in Springfield, MO and have 5 trucks. Again, you can make it at Prime----but it will not be easy.
Good Luck
Feel free to contact me for any information that you feel that I can help you with. Most people at Prime know me as Sarge--tell them that I said Hi.

David Bond on 2/26/99 12:29 PM said:

>>
>>
>>I am about to make a move to Prime, Inc. Looking at leasing a unit from them and get this thing a-roll'n for myself. Anyone have any solid advice for me here? Anything that they havent told me that I should know?
>>
>>
>>
>>I SURE appreciate it!
>>
>>Posted By: 208.242.194.178 (208.242.194.178)
>>

Old 02-26-1999, 04:50 PM
BEDSPREAD

Default Prime Is A GREAT DEAL!...for Prime...

David Bond on 2/26/99 12:29 PM said:

>>I am about to make a move to Prime, Inc.

They must have one heck of a recruiting campaign going...

>>Looking at leasing a unit from them and get this thing a-roll'n for myself.

Oh...it will get rolling alright....

>>Anyone have any solid advice for me here?

Yes...

>>Anything that they havent told me that I should know?

The truth would be different!

>>I SURE appreciate it!

I hope you appreciate it more AFTER you read the referring URL below....

Have you ever thought of just slamming the driver`s door on your hand say three or four GOOD times? At least you will walk away with only pain...your money will still be in your pocket.

Old 02-27-1999, 02:50 PM
Pathfinder

Default Re: Prime Is A GREAT DEAL!...for Prime...

BEDSPREAD on 2/26/99 4:50 PM said:

>>David Bond on 2/26/99 12:29 PM said:
>>
>>
>>
>>>>I am about to make a move to Prime, Inc.
>>
>>
>>
>>They must have one heck of a recruiting campaign going...
>>
>>
>>
>>>>Looking at leasing a unit from them and get this thing a-roll'n for myself.
>>
>>
>>
>>Oh...it will get rolling alright....
>>
>>
>>
>>>>Anyone have any solid advice for me here?
>>
>>
>>
>>Yes...
>>
>>
>>
>>>>Anything that they havent told me that I should know?
>>
>>
>>
>>The truth would be different!
>>
>>
>>
>>>>I SURE appreciate it!
>>
>>
>>
>>I hope you appreciate it more AFTER you read the referring URL below....
>>
>>
>>
>>Have you ever thought of just slamming the driver`s door on your hand say three or four GOOD times? At least you will walk away with only pain...your money will still be in your pocket.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>Posted By: 205.188.193.167 (205.188.193.167)
>>
Funny how Prime hauls the cheapest and the heaviest freight that other carriers turn down.

Old 02-27-1999, 08:58 PM
John

>>
>>
>>
>>I worked for Prime for three years. If you have a wife or girlfriend you need to see often forget it. If you have to send a check home every week forget it. If you can't handle being on the road 6-8 weeks at a time forget it. If you can't keep very close tabs on your expenses forget it.
If you get past all of the obove consider this. After all payments and truck expenses I average 42 cents a mile take home. When I went home for time off I told them when I would come back to work not the other way around. I learnd one lesson. Take the shortest leases you can get. I don't care if you can only get the truck off the yard with only one day left on the lease. The truck will be under warrenty for all the time you have it and when you take time off there won't be a payment hagning over you head. E-mail me for more info.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>Yes...
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>Have you ever thought of just slamming the driver`s door on your hand say three or four GOOD times? At least you will walk away with only pain...your money will still be in your pocket.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>

Old 02-27-1999, 09:09 PM
John

>>
>>
>>
>>I worked for Prime for three years. If you have a wife or girlfriend you need to see often forget it. If you have to send a check home every week forget it. If you can't handle being on the road 6-8 weeks at a time forget it. If you can't keep very close tabs on your expenses forget it.
If you get past all of the obove consider this. After all payments and truck expenses I average 42 cents a mile take home. When I went home for time off I told them when I would come back to work not the other way around. I learnd one lesson. Take the shortest leases you can get. I don't care if you can only get the truck off the yard with only one day left on the lease. The truck will be under warrenty for all the time you have it and when you take time off there won't be a payment hagning over you head. E-mail me for more info.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>Yes...
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>

Old 03-02-1999, 12:52 AM
David

Default Prime ... Bedspread?

John on 2/27/99 9:09 PM said:

>>
>>
>>BEDSPREAD on 2/26/99 4:50 PM said:
>>
>>
>>
>>>>David Bond on 2/26/99 12:29 PM said:
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>>>I am about to make a move to Prime, Inc.
>>
>>>>I worked for Prime for three years. If you have a wife or girlfriend you need to see often forget it. If you have to send a check home every week forget it. If you can't handle being on the road 6-8 weeks at a time forget it. If you can't keep very close tabs on your expenses forget it.
>>
>>If you get past all of the obove consider this. After all payments and truck expenses I average 42 cents a mile take home. When I went home for time off I told them when I would come back to work not the other way around. I learnd one lesson. Take the shortest leases you can get. I don't care if you can only get the truck off the yard with only one day left on the lease. The truck will be under warrenty for all the time you have it and when you take time off there won't be a payment hagning over you head. E-mail me for more info.
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>They must have one heck of a recruiting campaign going...
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>>>Looking at leasing a unit from them and get this thing a-roll'n for myself.
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>Oh...it will get rolling alright....
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>>>Anyone have any solid advice for me here?
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>Yes...
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>>>Anything that they havent told me that I should know?
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>The truth would be different!
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>>>I SURE appreciate it!
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>I hope you appreciate it more AFTER you read the referring URL below....
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>Have you ever thought of just slamming the driver`s door on your hand say three or four GOOD times? At least you will walk away with only pain...your money will still be in your pocket.
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>Posted By: 205.188.193.167 (205.188.193.167)
>>
>>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>Posted By: 152.163.197.176 (152.163.197.176)
>>

BedSpread .. sure sounds like you have an opinion. Your information based on fact or just more road rumor that I hear out there. Cause I sure have heard some conflicting stories. One guy says he was there .. made it good... and then you have info .. how do I sort out the facts? Have you been there?

Old 03-03-1999, 01:52 AM
BEDSPREAD

Default Why Me?...But Then Again...Why Not?...sheesh...

>>Bedpread .. sure sounds like you have an opinion. Your information based on fact or just more road rumor that I hear out there. Cause I sure have heard some conflicting stories. One guy says he was there .. made it good... and then you have info .. how do I sort out the facts? Have you been there?

Sir...I didn`t offer you an opinion...I offered you a referral to a site where Prime is being sued in a class action suit for unethical leasing practices. Have I been there? Don`t think so...if I want to experience pain, I will slam the driver`s door on my hand several times and slide down the cab ladder another few times for the full effect. At least after that pain subsides, I will still have my home and credit rating.

This scam has always been with us sir...when I started it was North American Van Lines or Midwestern Distribution. There is no free lunch sir...no one is going to put your butt in a big buck Rooster Cruiser for no financial risk. What you seek does not exist sir!

But the truth of the matter is that I am just plain tired of trying to bring some sense into the lease/purchase ripoff...sign the **** papers if you want the thing so badly! Hell...get one for your old lady and your **** dog too! At least you will have company on party row waiting for the repo man...

For the starry eyed young bloods out there, truck driving is a JOB!...A **** HARD JOB!!! It does not entail looking good in a big red Rooster Cruiser...it entails finding an honest employing carrier and performing the job in a manner that will put food on the table and a roof over the rug rat`s heads. You want to look pretty going down the road hauling cheap freight and eating out of a **** cooler for weeks on end...GO FOR IT!!! GOD knows you will find a long line in front of you.

People are so **** gullible...maybe I should start my own "leasing company." Yeah...that`s it! 'BANDIT TRUCKING...THE ROUTE OF THE FERRETS'

AAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

SHEESH!!!

Old 03-03-1999, 08:38 AM
Steve

>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>Yes...
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
You would be better off getting run over by a truck it would only hurt for a second or two. Did you ever think why prime is doing so much hiring it's because they can't keep any good drivers and they keep screwing them with all there promisses that they wont keep. I guess it's ok for sombody new just getting into the trucking industry and get a year or two of road experance and move on to a lot better job. As far as the lease purches I hape you don't have a family because you will never see home. You will be halling freight for next to nothing and have to stay on the road all the time to make there truck payment not your tuck payment. Your better off staying from that kind of thing you will hurt your self and your credit record. Once you sign your name on the dotted line there is know turning back you can't get out of it, you can but it will cost you a lot of money. Just something for you to think about before you jump in with both feet. Good Luck.