Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 11-08-2003, 10:00 AM
packerfan

Default Regarding Color Blindness

I am about to start school for my CDL training and license at the local Tech college. I know I am color blind, but I DO know what green, amber, and red traffic signals look like and have had no problems or accidents while driving a 4 wheel.
Will being color blind prevent me from getting my CDL?? Are there any others out there that are color blind and got their licenses?

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:12 AM
sealord

Default Physical

Your DOT physical should be the first or second day of school so you should know soon whether you pass the color vision test.
You need to make sure that whatever money you've paid for the training will be fully refunded to you if you can't pass the physical.
Most males have some degree of blue/green and red/orange color blindness. BOL
Old 11-08-2003, 02:27 PM
fozzy

Default You may have a problem....

If I read the screenname correctly you are in Wisconsin and probably going to the Fox Valley Tech College. The training will be no sweat if you are going there as they are probably one of the finest trucking courses in the country. BUT the colorblindness issue may prevent you from getting the CDL issued to you! It's my experience that Wiscconsin does NOT give any waivers for ANY issue! I had a darn fine student who was one heck of a driver (he got a 2 on the CDL skills test) and was VERY good (his wife was better than he was LOL she scored a 1!!) Anyway. He passed the skills test and we took them down to convert the permits and Class D into the CDL A and they refused to convert the license because he failed the color test.. He COULD see green and he could see red..BUT the amber to him looked red???? Anyway..he had to go down to IA to take another skills test and get the CDL..just check into it an ask the staff at the school if they are issuing waivers in Wisconsin nowadays..

Fozzy (owner of the wet blanket..sorry)
Old 11-08-2003, 04:51 PM
bigjake

Default What's Really stupid...

...is that they can not standardize the freaking position of traffic lights. It's been over 35 years since I've seen any variation on Red-Yellow-Green from top to bottom, yet I still run into variations on this when the traffic signal is horizontal...I've seen red on both the left and right. If they would standardize all of this, the majority of colorblind people would have very little problems as most can identify which light is lit!
Old 11-08-2003, 05:19 PM
fozzy

Default what's even stupider...

is that you CAN drive a automobile and be colorblind..you cannot drive a CMV (in Wisconsin anyway)..

Fozzy