Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 10-29-2001, 03:13 PM
hicountry

Default Setting up skills course.

I have access to a truck and trailer, but need some info on setting up the skills course for the different tests. I have diagrams in the cdl handbook, but no distances or spacings of cones are listed. Anyone know where I can get this info? I want to have regulation spacing or a little tighter, for practice.
Old 10-29-2001, 04:31 PM
blubird

Default hicountry...

not sure which skills tests CO uses but I can help you with the ones IN uses.
1) straight line-100yards long, 12'lanes, must pull in and stop with front bumper within 1' of frt. cones then back out.
2) serpentine backing- 3 cones, overall vehicle length apart.
3) parelel parking - 12' lane, length is vehicle length plus 10', must stop with back of trailer within 18" of rear cones. tractor does not have to be completely in space but trailer does
4) alley dock- lane is 12' wide by 20 ' long. must stop with rear of trailer within 18" of rear cones.

If you don't understand let me know and I'll try and help ya out. BOL Indy blubird
Old 10-29-2001, 04:38 PM
fozzy

Default This ALL depends....

On what state you live in..

I've gotta tell you that if you are planning on studying and passing the state's skills test on your own..you are really going to have a hard time doing so. You really do NOT know what the state examiners are "keying on" as for proper completion of each task and such. The "range work" on the skills tests are of limited value. The real tested skills are on the road portion of the course..and unless you have a skilled observer and alot of time to practice these skills on the road in your area..your far better off (time wise and frustration wise) taking a certifed professional driving course...

That's just my opinion anyway...

Fozzy
Old 10-29-2001, 04:45 PM
blubird

Default Absolutley right Foz..

I'm thinking he just wants to practice abit with the skills portion of the test.
But, hicountry, Fozzy's right don't think about trying to train yourself for the entire test. The practice things not a bad plan for the skills portion though. IMHO
Old 10-29-2001, 05:06 PM
hicountry

Default skills testing

I am in Colorado, Fozzy, and have a current Class A CDL, but want to practice some manuvers.

I know I will have to go through training with whatever company I go with, but I just want to get some practice in truck manuvering. I drove flatbeds in and out of Denver for 9 years, but never had to do parrellel parking, or serpentine backing.. the rest is a piece of cake. Right-hand turns with a 45-53'trailer are one other area I wnat to practice on, and ally backing.. longest trailer I have done was a 32' gooseneck, behind a COE Freight-shaker.

How you been, Fozzy? I talked with you some last year, and you gave me lots of helpful info.
Old 10-29-2001, 05:41 PM
fozzy

Default Hi Again!

Nice to seeya again!

The best thing I can say is to set up a generic course that will simply make you SEE out of the truck and adjust to make the truck go where you need it to go.

a "serpentine" course is probably the easy to set up and one of the best courses to get you tuned up.

For right turns, a tire with a cone stuck in the ceneter is a good practice test.. The key is to make the turns SQUARE! a line of cones to represent a curb or island would be good also. Just as in a real intersection you pull straight out and then square off the turn and head STRAIGHT down the line of cones....you watch the rear wheels of the trailer and when they are directly at the center of the turn...turn back HARD towards the right and then straight down the lane....there is NO way to climb a curb if you postion the trailer wheels like this...

Of course ...its hard to show you where this is with ONLY words! LOL

Fozzy