Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 04-18-1998, 03:26 PM
Danial

Default Should I become an Owner Operator???

I have been a company driver for many years and am thinking of making the jump to O/O. Can anyone tell me what the pros and cons are? How should I prepare myself and my family for the jump? Do I get my own authority or lease on with someone else? Any info you can give will be of help.

Old 04-18-1998, 05:10 PM
Knuckle

Default Re: Should I become an Owner Operator???

It all depends on what you want out of life and the trucking business. I am an O/O and have been one for 12 years. PROS: you are your own boss. You run when you want to and where you want to. CONS: Costly repairs and breakdowns. You have to be financially prepared for the worst situation. I like being independant far more than being a company driver. I never applied for my own authority as you can shop around and find a decent company to lease on to and use their authority. I looked long and hard and found a decent company where I don't have to run the east coast and no fingerprint loads.
My suggestion is to do plenty of research before you make a decision about buying a truck. Consider every avenue, leasing vs. buying, good warranty and etc. What ever you decide, good luck to you.
Knucklehead.
Danial on 4/18/98 2:26 PM said:

>>I have been a company driver for many years and am thinking of making the jump to O/O. Can anyone tell me what the pros and cons are? How should I prepare myself and my family for the jump? Do I get my own authority or lease on with someone else? Any info you can give will be of help.
>>
>>
>>

Old 04-18-1998, 06:14 PM
seriniti

>>I have been a company driver for many years and am thinking of making the jump to O/O. Can anyone tell me what the pros and cons are? How should I prepare myself and my family for the jump? Do I get my own authority or lease on with someone else? Any info you can give will be of help.>>
>>
>>
interesting spelling of your name. now, about being an o/o vs co. my husband and i are o/o and r loving every minute of it. there are lots of things to look at before making the decision. we are leased on with north american and are very happy with them. before we made the decision, we contacted both our atty and our accountant. We gave each of them a copy of the contract and asked for their imput. we also chose to lease our veh for the 1st yr or 2 to make sure we were making the right choice. We are currently looking for a big house so that we can enjoy the comfort of home while on the road. no matter what u choose, there are lots of decisions to make so good luck in your decision. if you need any more info email us. hope to see ya out there. Seriniti
Old 04-18-1998, 08:59 PM
Randy

Danial:

Check out the O/O area here at layover. There is some good info there for those considering "making the jump." Be sure to read the articles, and check the FAQ's.

Follow the link below....

Good luck whatever you decide,

Randy

>>I have been a company driver for many years and am thinking of making the jump to O/O. Can anyone tell me what the pros and cons are? How should I prepare myself and my family for the jump? Do I get my own authority or lease on with someone else? Any info you can give will be of help.>>
>>
>>