Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 11-01-2000, 08:27 PM
smithpat1019

Default Volvo 770

Can anyone give me any feedback on the Volvo
770? Have an opportunity to buy one, but not sure about it compared to Peterbilt or Freightliner. This one has an automatic trans...any comments on this?

Help!
Old 11-01-2000, 09:34 PM
wrongway911

Default volvo 770

dont like them and probably will never like them . They seem to me that they are lacking in power. Thats about all I can tell you on my end.
Old 11-02-2000, 08:54 AM
truckerstaffchic

Default Watch out for Volvo

I'm the girl who writes for The Trucker and I recently worked on a story about a guy who is suing Volvo for a 770 the sold him that had an overweight problem. He's got all kinds of evidence against them, but is having a terrible time in court. His name is Nick Barber and he's from Minot, N.D. This guy bought a Volvo 770 in '98 that was 12,500 lbs. off the lot. He had added a generator and other stuff, but nothing to make him overweight in 16 states, including his home state. When Volvo "fixed" his truck, they cut it up, reduced his fuel tanks from 150 gal to one 100 gal. and one 75 gal., they cut off a bunch of his chrome and slid his 5th wheel to the -6 position which he felt made it ugly. Ultimately, he got screwed in the deal and is still paying for it. Volvo may have an overweight problem, they may have fixed it by now. I've got copies of all this evidence from Mr. Barber.
The story will appear in the next issue of the Trucker which should be leaving Russelville, Ark. today for you guys to read. It's got all the legal stuff in it to keep me out of a lawsuit myself.
Mr. Barber and his wife have established an 800 number for people to call with questions or details: 1-800-410-4933. Give them a call, he can tell you better than I. Good luck and be careful.
And the rest of you write to me about your holiday plans on the "What are you doing for the Holidays" string, please!
Sincerely,
Susy Phillips
Old 11-02-2000, 09:29 AM
roundup

Default volvo

I see a lot of red flags in the previous post.

12,500 pounds off the lot for a 770, in your dreams, try maybe 22,500.

How do you get a tractor overweight in any state?
Now he may be to heavy to haul the kind of loads that he may have been hauling with lets say a light weight freighliner, but i want to know more about how you get a tractor only to be over weight in any state.

They "cut up his truck", as with a torch?????

The words I hear about the 770 is that they are one of the best riding trucks on the road.

there weak spot seems to be the steer axle. I hear reports that a volvo requires realignment more than most trucks.

Volvos, have historically had a low resale value. If your planning to keep the truck 5 - 8 years it doesn't matter.
If your planning to trade for new every three years, whether I like them or not, the W900 KW or 379E pete seem to keep the resale value the best (even they are taking a hit in this market) if you get them with all the chicken trucker specs' big engine, 18 speed transmission, triple didgit rear ends, That set up will put you in the running for bragging rights to the ticket for the fastest speed over the limit in any state.

I considered a Volvo at my last trade time.
I liked the easy open hood.
I liked the design that let the engine slide under the driver not into him on a front impact.
I liked the way the dash was laid out with convient place for the CB and Cell phone.
I did not like the low cut door windows.
I did not like the one piece wrap around windshied (everyone is going to it now). Replacement cost about $400.00 compared to $65.00 for one side of my flat glass two piece. That way every spring, I get a new drivers side glass to get rid of all the winter pits.
I did not like the sleeper layout as well as some other trucks.
Many of these considerations are personal taste and have nothing to do with the quality or performance of the truck.
I bought a 9400 IHC, my third IHC and probably my last. This one is a big dissapoinment in design, quality and workmanship.
I call it "MY NIGHTMARE FROM NAVISTAR"

Happy trails
Old 11-03-2000, 01:44 PM
straycat

Default Volvo trucks

I have been driving my first Volvo for 2 months now...i just had my windshield(one piece) replaced and it was $223 including installation, right from the Volvo dealer., i don't have a 770, i have a VNL 64T which is a shorter cab design(the bed is right behind the seats)and it is a flattop, i also have a rather long wheelbase(for a set back axle) around 265", my ride is really good loaded and empty it ****s, also the steering seems to be about 2 inches to the left of the center of the seat, the switches are plastic and break easily. My drivers seat has a memory in it which i hate, and i have to buy a special conversion kit to have it removed, i really likes my peterbilt better, but the price is also more. I also have the wheel balancers on the front, they have seemed to help the tires wear more evenly. Well good luck and i hope i helped ya.
Old 11-07-2000, 05:14 AM
trvler

Default Volvo 770

I own three Volvo VN model tractors. Two 770's, a 1999 and a 2000, and I own a 2000 660. My 1999 has 150 gallon saddle tanks, the 2000 770 has twin 125 gallon tanks and the 660 has twin 100 gallon tanks.

Volvo VN model tractors are on the steer axle with my 99 being the heaviest. The fuel tank size and position is a major contributing factor to the weight issue. None of my three is overweight on the steer while bob-tailing. In all three the fifth wheel is kept in the rear most position. With the weight issue understood the trucks have performed well. I have read of many occurances of poor steer tire wear with these models, yet I have not yet experienced problems that pointed to the design or engineering of the truck. In my case poor tire wear was a result of incorrect inflation or an out of balance tire.

My drivers love these trucks, the ride and handle better than any on the road. I like the safety features and the incredible visibility from the cab.

None of my three has had maintenance issues beyond the normal problems associated with any truck.

I am so confident in the quality of the Volvos that yesterday I contacted my dealer concerning the purchase of several trucks within the next 60 days.