Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 02-14-2002, 08:25 PM
cyberjunkie9

Default Werner Enterprises

Hello, I am new here and new to the trucking world. I have decided to attend a trucking school and start a career in trucking. I will be going on saturday and sundays for 10 weeks.

I was hoping to get some input from other truckers on jobs and info in the winston salem/greensboro North Carolina area. Also if anyone had any input about Werner Enterprises. I talked to a recruiter at Werner and liked what they offered. They pay is not the greatest in the world (.24 per mile to start) but the oldest trucks in their fleets are no more than two years old, plus with ezpass, scale pre-pass and all other passes and credit cards needed so no out of pocket expenses.

I also liked the computer system of logging. And also they said after I have been with the company I think for either 6 months or a year I could become a trainer which pays 60,000 - 80,000 a year.

Any opinions are welcomed.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 02-14-2002, 08:29 PM
preppyredneck

Default why

I'm not saying that werner is a good company or a bad one. But would you want your trainer to have only 6 months to a year experience driving trucks. I sure wouldn't.

THE PREPPYREDNECK
Old 02-17-2002, 01:18 AM
magnarider

Default Weener

Do you reallt think they will make you a trainer? Just think if after 6 months you could be a trainer what does this tell you about turnover? Dont expect to not have out of pocket expences with any company. Here is a hint about a school NC Truck Driver Training out of Johnson Community College. Also Have one in Hickory At Catawba Valley College only about $430.00 for a 8 week course. Check with a few companies to see if they accept from the school that you choose to go to some may not. Dont wast your money on your school if there going to PUSH you through you want find a job that way get a school that is accepted. Magna
Old 02-17-2002, 06:01 PM
scalerunner

Default werner

a friend of mine and myself both worked for werner for about 8 -9 months or so.they pay horribly and they are such a big company that you will wait in the hotel for your truck for up to 2 - 3 weeks.i sat in allentown pa for 2 and a half weeks waiting on a truck and made like $200.00 for waiting time during that period.and if you complain they dont care one bit.
then when you get out on the road they dont run you very much and the dispatchers could care less about your needs and how you feel about what they give you.its not a company where you can profit at all by working for them and they dont give a ****.im not joking...but then again most of the large companies are all like that.they just need a student graduate to throw behind the wheel for awhile and work for cheap.then when they get tired of the bull**** and quit they give the truck right to the next student waiting in some hotel-and this repeats over and over.you rarely see someone there who lasts more than a few months to a year.youll see what i mean when you get there.
Old 02-17-2002, 06:30 PM
bigjoe

Default weenies for werner

Hi Greg,
You did say any opinion welcome.

I noticed that you blew off the admittedly low pay by justifying same with the fact you will drive a nice truck.

Hell, I would rather drive a ratty lookin' old cabover in good mechanical condition for good money than a flashy truck for less.

Shiny rooster cruisers is what carriers have beeb using for years to get these gullible ****ers to drive for nothing. Just give 'em a shiny truck and a pair of cowboy boots and they will drive for 50 cents a week is what these carriers joke amongst themselve.

Now the Trainer part. Only 6 months experience and the blind can lead the blind. Such salts...I hope no thinks themselves over qualified.

Man, is Werner ever tickling your *** with a feather. By 6 months you will still be a babe-in-the woods. And thats just another smoke screen.

Werner along with all the others uses this trainer bull**** as a way to increase profits...Theirs!!!

They will expect you to run as a team pulling down the loads. How the hell can you teach when you are exhausted or in the bunk asleep...right Fozzy?

Be at your delivery 1200 miles away first thing in the morning..But Mr.Dispatcher I've got a trainee! Does not matter, driver, he drives while you sleep..Maybe he will remember what he was taught in the classroom and not kill you.

Morale this time: A ****er is born every minute.

And thats the bottom line because Big Joe said so.
Old 02-17-2002, 07:09 PM
cyberjunkie9

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replys and yes I did say any replys was welcomed and any more is also. I wanted opinions and got them. I was skeptical about these trucking companies who are always recruiting though trucking schools and was also skeptical about being a trainer after only there for 6 months to a year.

I know I wouldn't want someone training me that was only driving for a year or less and I see about the training part, yes, how could you get trained fully if your driving and your trainer is sleeping or vice versa. And yes if I was a trainer I couldn't sleep knowing this person is right out of trucking school and we are going over say Donners Pass.

But what is the best way for a person to get his feet wet in the industry except to take a job with one of these companies that will hire students. And yes I want to learn and while I am in the training stages I sure don't want to be penalized for not getting a load to somewhere on time. While in training most of these companies pay you a weekly check and since I am not getting paid per mile why should I kill myself, and besides I am learning and to learn you want to take it slow, get to know the ins and outs.

I don't know if I even will like trucking but do want to see for myself. I may be happy driving OTR then again I may not , I may just get a job driving for a grocery chain or for pepsi or coca-cola, which I know here if you have a CDL pepsi and coke will hire you.

Well maybe I should just become an astronaut then I wouldn't have such a hard time to pick a company to work for, I would just work for NASA. Some companies have this I like and this I don't and this other company has this I like and this I don't, etc, etc. Well with the demand for truckers, if I go to a company and they treat me like ****, just take the truck back, get my stuff and say see ya.

Old 02-17-2002, 07:40 PM
fozzy

Default Bite the bullet of chose from VERY few!

If you choose not to "team train" then you are limited to a couple of companies... one of them paints their trucks bright orange. While I'm NO fan of these trainer team situations AT ALL...the lionshare of the companies use them. Bite the bullet and hope you can stomach the crummy situation.

If you get with the right trainer..even in these team trainer outfits..there are "tricks" to limiting the team BS thrown their way *Fozzy snickers*..of course the ramifications of a dog that can wag it's own tail will effect only the trainer! LOL

Most of these fleets want only babysitters to sign for the trucks and be "responsible" for the actions and the damages done to it..the train the trainer that most fleets use is really poor!

Moral? Don't even come close to singling Werner out as the ONLY fleet that uses these techniques. I made pretty good money with Werner.. But if I cannot train people the correct way..I'm wasting my (and the student's)time

Fozzy
Old 02-17-2002, 07:40 PM
curve

Default Werner

Greg i would check out all the companys you can over the internet. Asking drivers isnt always the best advice. I use to listen to other drivers when i was new to the industry and that was a dead end. Why you ask? because most drivers who want to talk about other companys have had a bad time with the company and they want to tell the world. Some of what you hear is true and some is B.S ---After years of hearing negative stuff all the time i found myself to be very negative about the industry and life. Pick a company that seems to fit you and then give them 100%. Yes companys do have a lot of turn over--thats the nature of the beast---you have people who come into driving for many reasons but they forget they are working for the company. They cant be home all the time and make money. Things wont ALWAYS go your way-----Make you own mind up and try not to listen to much of the negative stuff u hear. I hear all kinds of negative stuff about my company J B Hunt,some from x drivers,some from drivers who never worked for them and some from present drivers. I dont listen to it--I do my best to do them a good job--I dont complain or ***** now days--I get my miles--I get home--I get treated good---OHHH Yes i have had my bad times--low miles--- 900 one week :} but why would i leave a job that treats me good and i make over 50k a year?? Drivers are to fast to change jobs--I know i was one of them :} Ok im done --good luck Greg and it might take you 4 or 5 jobs and that many years to get the job you need-

dean