Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 03-12-1999, 12:45 AM
Julie

Default Who Hires Rookies?

My husband is new to the trucking industry. Just got his Class A, doubles/triples & hazmat and is trying to land that first job. Can anyone recommend reputable companies willing to hire a rookie driver with no prior experience. He has clean driving record, no accidents or tickets. We're located in the Pacific Northwest and would like to drive the western states. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

He knows of one job driving petroleum tanker for $0.40/mi over the Cascades. Company willing to hire someone with no experience. Does anyone else see red flags here or am I all wet? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Old 03-12-1999, 02:18 PM
Sealord

Default Re: Who Hires Rookies? Enuf

Julie,
Does he have tanker endorsement? $.40/mi doesn't sound bad, what about other benefits? Don't understand red flags comment.
Schneider has a west coast group. Check Schneider.com. If he's interested in doing flatbed, Charger out of French Camp, Ca. See chargerinc.com. The infamous England.

Old 03-12-1999, 03:24 PM
Low Life Les

Default Re: Who Hires Rookies?

No, .40 cents a mile ain't bad at all .
Especial fer starters.
I mean a lot 'o fellers work 5 or 6 years before
they hit that mark with any outfit.
Make sure you git that in writing first, though.
A lot of'o these outfits promise the moon and don't
come through.
Do yer homework first...

Happy Trails,
-Les

Old 03-12-1999, 05:03 PM
Randy

Julie Egan on 3/12/99 12:45 PM said:

>>My husband is new to the trucking industry. Just got his Class A, doubles/triples & hazmat and is trying to land that first job. Can anyone recommend reputable companies willing to hire a rookie driver with no prior experience. He has clean driving record, no accidents or tickets. We're located in the Pacific Northwest and would like to drive the western states. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.>>
>>>>
>>He knows of one job driving petroleum tanker for $0.40/mi over the Cascades. Company willing to hire someone with no experience. Does anyone else see red flags here or am I all wet? Thanks in advance for the advice.>>
>>>>
>>
>>
>>Posted By: 159.78.5.125 (159.78.5.125)
>>

Julie,

Here is a list of some co. Post Trucking, Market Transportation, Gordon, Swift and Knight although I think they require at least 6 months exper. I also think US Xpress may have a western run. Sorry can't tell you much of anything else about these co. except that most likely he won't be starting at 0.40 a mile.

Hope it helps

Old 03-18-1999, 07:13 PM
Julie

Default Re: Who Hires Rookies? Enuf

Sealord on 3/12/99 2:18 PM said:

>>Julie,
>>
>> Does he have tanker endorsement? $.40/mi doesn't sound bad, what about other benefits? Don't understand red flags comment.
>>
>> Schneider has a west coast group. Check Schneider.com. If he's interested in doing flatbed, Charger out of French Camp, Ca. See chargerinc.com. The infamous England.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>Posted By: 207.203.207.6 (207.203.207.6)
>>
Thanks for the reply Sealord. Yes, he has tanker and Haz Mat endorsements, just no experience. What I meant by red flags was whether he should be suspicious about this company's reputation if it's willing to hire rookie to drive tanker, especially over mountains in winter. Maybe they're thinking by the time the snow starts flying next winter, the driver will have gained some experience. Let's hope so. Since my original post, we've found out that the company is very reputable and treats its drivers respectfully. He sent in an application, now just waiting for the call.

Re: other companies, Schneider certainly getting mostly thumbs up from what I can gather. One other person on this board indicated that they had a problem w/Charger. Mixed reviews on England. He's not looking for tanker specifically. Also looking at Gordon Trucking, Inc. out of WA state. Primarily West coast runs. Good internet site at gordontrucking.com.

Thanks again for the reply. Julie

Old 03-18-1999, 09:42 PM
Kaiser

Julie Egan on 3/12/99 12:45 PM said:

>>My husband is new to the trucking industry. Just got his Class A, doubles/triples & hazmat and is trying to land that first job. Can anyone recommend reputable companies willing to hire a rookie driver with no prior experience. He has clean driving record, no accidents or tickets. We're located in the Pacific Northwest and would like to drive the western states. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
>>
>>
>>
>>He knows of one job driving petroleum tanker for $0.40/mi over the Cascades. Company willing to hire someone with no experience. Does anyone else see red flags here or am I all wet? Thanks in advance for the advice.
>>
>>No flag they want him because of his driving record.
This is hazmat they want safe drivers because of what he is hauling and are willing to pay for it.
I am from Washington State and buy next year he should have no difficulty on the passes he should have plenty of driving buy then. Good Luck!!
>>
>>
>>
>>Posted By: 159.78.5.125 (159.78.5.125)
>>