Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 10-21-2001, 02:44 PM
rich1002

Default will back surgery disqualify me???

HELLO OUT THERE,
I AM A BURNED OUT TEACHER LOOKING FOR A NEW CAREER. TWENTY YEARS AGO I HAD BACK SURGURY, MY BACK IS BASICALLY FINE NOW. I'M NOT WORRIED ABOUT DRIVING, BUT HEAVY LIFTING WILL DAMAGE MY BACK. ARE THERE DRIVING JOBS OUT THERE THAT DON'T REQUIRE LOADING/UNLOADING?
WILL COMPANIES DISQUALIFY ME ONCE THEY SEE MY BACK SURGERY SCAR. I AM DESPERATELY SEEKING ADVICE/WISDOM BEFORE I PURSUE A CDL.
THANK YOU! Rich1002
Old 10-21-2001, 03:07 PM
blubird

Default Rich...

In a word... NO! It will not disqualify you. As long as you can pass the physical you are OK. I have had 2 back surgeries in the past 15 years, the last one 5 years ago and easily pass the physical, the doc usually asks about the scars and any problems ,I tellem no and I'm passed after a few toe touch's.And honestly something that long ago and no problems I wouldn't bring it up unless asked.
As far as the back holding up. Well to be quite honest it actually feels BETTER driving local for the last year and a half , and doing all unloads myself then it ever did when I did none, and OTR.
But yes,if you're worried about that, there are companies that advertise mostly "no touch" and drop and hooks.

But you'll play heck as a newbie getting those gravy jobs.
Old 10-21-2001, 03:54 PM
wallyg8tor

Default The true words....

of a Sadist!

"As far as the back holding up. Well to be quite honest it actually feels BETTER driving local for the last year and a half , and doing all unloads myself then it ever did when I did none, and OTR."

Just plain sick, I tell you. ROFLMAO. Jus pickin on you Blubird, I'm sure you don't find supreme pleasure in pain.

I have scoliosis, a curvature of the spine. They almost medically discharged me from the Marine Corps for it. I appealed saying I had it before I went in and it was undetected so I should have the right to stay in since I was still doing my job. They were going to put a metal rod in but I didn't want to mess with explaining the metal detector going off each time I went through a security checkpoint. So I refused surgery. It actually works great for trucking! I can lean to the side with my elbow out the window and head & ball cap barely showing up over the steering wheel and I'm still naturally sitting straight! Reckon I was just born cool and to think people complain about deformities. Did I tell you about....Nawww...Let's not go there.....
Old 10-21-2001, 04:01 PM
enstygatre

Default If your back is..

If your back is still bothering you, you may want to get into something like tankers, or dry van and reefer companies that do mostly drop and hook, or pay for lumpers. As others have said, don't volunteer information. If asked about the scars, tell them the truth, but too much information can cause you problems. I do know of one tanker company that hires newbies, but you need to live near Tampa, Fl. and attend Pinellas County Technical School to get in. They train drivers specifically on tankers. And Blubird is right about getting in with companies that have drop and hook, or pay for lumpers, as a newbie.
Old 10-21-2001, 07:00 PM
blubird

Default ROFLMAO! Wally

But I swear it's the God's honest truth, Rich.
The first 2 or 3 weeks I swear (and I did) I was SOOOO sore but after that the muscles got used to it and started coming back.
I know I used muscles I haven't used in 20 years(NO not that one!) but they get used to it and you actually feel stronger and better. Kinda gettin'that "incredible Hulk" thing going on when I flex my arms now!
Hey Wally, if I put my foot on the floor will you stomp on my toes? OH YEAH!!! LOL
Old 10-21-2001, 07:47 PM
blubird

Default Rich, check your e mail...

YOU"VE got mail! LOL BOL Indy blubird