Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Archive > Layover's Lounge (Archive)

Old 06-19-2004, 03:53 AM
dimnd

Default Women OTR Driver

Would like to get info from women drivers as I am considering going to school next week. I also want to know if any women drivers out there driving solo could respond with their experiences and whether or not any went to a company to get training or to a school. Have a science degree and jobs are so scarce, I feel that I can do this job..would like any input please.
Old 06-19-2004, 04:37 AM
scorpius21

Default Women OTR Drivers

There is a dedicated forum to Professional Women Drivers you can post there also.. http://roundtable.truck.net/viewforum.php?f=7
Old 06-19-2004, 04:58 AM
dimnd

Default women otr

thank you..appreciated that
Old 06-19-2004, 11:13 AM
ladyt2u

Default Also...

Try newbiedriver.com....excellent info for lady drivers.

LadyT
Old 06-19-2004, 02:53 PM
maineiac

Default info for women

you will find lots of good info on
ladytruckdrivers.com
many of us have had the same concerns
good luck
let us know how you are doing
Old 06-19-2004, 05:17 PM
dimnd

Default women otr

ty
Old 06-20-2004, 02:46 PM
admin

Default If you haven't already....

check out our <a href="/driverscorner/womenintrucking/" target="_blank">Women in Trucking area</a>
Old 06-20-2004, 04:48 PM
torkwench

Default women drivers

I'm not a woman yet I taught my wife how to drive a 4-speed car, then a 6-speed straight truck, she then got her CDL-A permit and i gave her as much time as i could in a ten speed ten wheel truck with a 53' trailer. She said during driving the straight truck that she wanted more gears, so after my little help she went to a driving school and finalized her dream of driving large cars.
Some companies will train and license you or you can do the school route--it it up to you and i hope the best for you in whatever you choose to do!!

BEst WELLness to you and yours in ALL ventures!!

&lt;~BLAKOWT~&gt;
Old 06-20-2004, 10:05 PM
dimnd

Default Women OTR

Im nervous about being out there all alone..been hearing too many horror stories...and the more I study the CDL manual..the more I think of things that can go wrong with the truck.

My worries stem from blowout to fires with tires to bad weather driving to being hurt while sleeping..
I have a son driving for USA..he says..it will be ok

I wanted to get a job as a chemist..but cant get in anywhere..even entry level

Mayo Clinic flew me for interview there but I didnt get the job.

So tomorrow I am going to Sage Driving school to go around with the instructor and his student..They do one on one..

Peg
Old 06-21-2004, 08:09 AM
torkwench

Default dimnd

It is not that bad on the road except for a few select cities such as:
1)N.Y.C.
2)Chicago
3)Los Angeles
4)Miami
5)Dallas/Fart Worth.

The biggest concern you'll need regarding your equipment is the ability to properly perform pre-trip inspections and during trip inspections.
The second biggest concern you'll need will be the ability to properly maintain tire(tyre) pressures as faulty tyre pressures will certainly enable you to NOT complete a journey and sometimes even maintaining tyre pressures tyres may pop when their time is due, yet this does not happen too often if one has the ability to properly inspect ones equipment and advise for maintenance when needed.
My wife drove for 1 1/2 years before getting out of the driving field and she did not have any problems with truck tyres yet as most of us do and will , she had all sorts of problems with trailers.
There seems to be the complete and utter nonsense inherent in trucking of not checking trailer tyres before proceeding upon ones journey because either &quot;it takes too much time&quot; or &quot;someone else will do it&quot; whereupon NO-ONE ever does until the tyre repair shop does(ANYONE can do it, SOMEONE might, yet NO-ONE wants to). Yes, i'll admit that it does take a weeee bit of time to do especially while in the rain or during the winter yet the probability of being stuck waiting for tyre repair versus checking the tyres yourself is what kept me checking EACH and EVERY trailer I pulled thereby also ensuring that the next driver had well pressured tyres.
Just something I liked to do when I was driving long/short haul.
I would also crawl underneath(weather permitting) to check wheel seals, and also check wheel bearing lube by removing hub cap plug unless the hubs were of the sealed type.
There are quite many responsibilities included in trucking in addition to &quot;just driving&quot;.

Talk with your son about these needs and see if he does not concur.

BEst WELLness to you and yours in ALL ventures!!

&lt;~BLAKOWT~&gt;