Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Layover's Lounge

Layover's Lounge Our local discussion forum where you can discuss just about anything that is related to the trucking industry.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-12-2009, 10:15 PM
clyde24 clyde24 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3
clyde24 is on a distinguished road
Default Companies that train and hire

I am 24 and have not one ticket or accident, since i just got my MVR today for a school nor do i have any criminal record. Is it practical to go through a company that trains you to get your CDL and Hire you? i've been reading some of these threads and can't distinguish the truth from the BS...i just want an honest answer and advice. I'm not looking to start a war between people here, it's just i wanted to do OTR for awhile and i got in contact with a company that will train me in about 3 weeks and let me start working. I also acknowledge that there is scum out there, but in these hard times...is it worth it and a good decision?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-12-2009, 10:55 PM
clyde24 clyde24 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3
clyde24 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Companies that train and hire

any replies will be helpful!! Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-13-2009, 03:42 AM
blacksheepdawg's Avatar
blacksheepdawg blacksheepdawg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,072
blacksheepdawg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Companies that train and hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde24 View Post
.......it's just i wanted to do OTR for awhile and i got in contact with a company that will train me in about 3 weeks and let me start working. I also acknowledge that there is scum out there, but in these hard times...is it worth it and a good decision?
You found a company that will train you in "about 3 weeks"?
Are you confident you can learn what'cha need to know in 3 weeks?
Sounds like a crash course.

May I ask which company offered you such a deal?
And at what cost to you?
That information would help.

IMO, it's not a good decision to sign on with a "scum" company for any reason,
Too much to lose and too easy to lose it.
__________________
B.S. Dawg
Dawgmatistical Pontificationist
At Your Service
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-13-2009, 08:03 AM
sealord sealord is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 143
sealord is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Companies That Train and Hire

Clyde24, what part of the country you live in could help. Be advised, a newb normally isn't get paid until after assignment with a trainer for the OTR portion of your training. For the duration (up to 3 weeks) of the school a newb is normally unpaid. As far as I know, Swift and Werner is still in the training/hiring busniess. Schneider isn't unless possibly bulk. Put no stock in a "pre-hire". BOL
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-13-2009, 09:53 AM
newbie54 newbie54 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 66
newbie54 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Companies that train and hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde24 View Post
any replies will be helpful!! Thanks everyone!
It would most likely benefit you to take a course through a technical college.I, myself went through the college course of 10 weeks. 4 in a class room and the other 6 learning the basics of shifting while driving a bobtail,braking and being aware of everything around you and getting use to operating a vehicle that size and the use of mirrors.Next comes the trailer,even more fun to learn. Driving can be fun but,safety always comes first and that's what you really must remember above all.What I am telling you is what I learned and I am still learning. Once you think you know it all is when an accident may happen.Hope this helped you some.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-13-2009, 11:22 AM
icantinaturner icantinaturner is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Gettysburg, PA
Posts: 2,853
icantinaturner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Companies that train and hire

No, no, a thousand times no! If you are truly 24 with a clean record, you are on the verge of making a horrible mistake, Clyde. Think about it:

- It is a dead end job for young smart guys and displaced workers are flooding the industry. That means lower pay in the future. That has been the trend for years.

- Darned near anyone can driver a truck with very little training and the low bar to entry also means low pay over the long haul. Hell, even this Clyde can drive...

- High paying jobs call for knowledge, skills and abilities that not everyone possesses.

- In 10 years you'll be 34, look like 44 and feel like 54. You'll be too out of shape and lazy to perform just about any other job. In 20 years you'll be one of the walking heart attack/stroke/diabetes candidates that are everywhere in every truck stop. Go check them out and see if you really want to be a part of that scene...

- In the meantime you'll miss family, friends, and opportunities to develop and sustain meaningful relationships. OTR trucking is a marriage/relationship killer.

- You skull will be ossified from hours of smoking, listening to conservative talk radio, dummies on the CB and inhaling diesel fumes.

Please think ahead and consider something else that can't be performed by almost any dummy, some illegal or outsourced to China.. Why not try public safety (police/fire), maybe teaching or if higher education is out of the question, join the military. They will guarantee you training in something that pays on the outside, give you decent pay (bonuses are large now), security, health care, spiffy uniforms and most important of all -- a retirement check!!! You can go trucking when you're 44 if you still want to.

Sealord and I (among others here) are military retirees and I'm betting that any retiree will tell you that trucking looks a helluva lot better with a retirement check hitting the bank every month. It's nice to really be able to tell any boss to take the job and shove it, rather than taking krap.

Remember TANSTAAFL - there ain't no such thing as a free lunch, but I really think you're taking the easy way out by considering trucking. It's an okay job for old retired farts, but terrible for young, on-the-ball guys and I don't think you're a dummy.


Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-13-2009, 11:34 AM
newbie54 newbie54 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 66
newbie54 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Companies that train and hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantinaturner View Post
No, no, a thousand times no! If you are truly 24 with a clean record, you are on the verge of making a horrible mistake, Clyde. Think about it:

- It is a dead end job for young smart guys and displaced workers are flooding the industry. That means lower pay in the future. That has been the trend for years.

- Darned near anyone can driver a truck with very little training and the low bar to entry also means low pay over the long haul. Hell, even this Clyde can drive...

- High paying jobs call for knowledge, skills and abilities that not everyone possesses.

- In 10 years you'll be 34, look like 44 and feel like 54. You'll be too out of shape and lazy to perform just about any other job. In 20 years you'll be one of the walking heart attack/stroke/diabetes candidates that are everywhere in every truck stop. Go check them out and see if you really want to be a part of that scene...

- In the meantime you'll miss family, friends, and opportunities to develop and sustain meaningful relationships. OTR trucking is a marriage/relationship killer.

- You skull will be ossified from hours of smoking, listening to conservative talk radio, dummies on the CB and inhaling diesel fumes.

Please think ahead and consider something else that can't be performed by almost any dummy, some illegal or outsourced to China.. Why not try public safety (police/fire), maybe teaching or if higher education is out of the question, join the military. They will guarantee you training in something that pays on the outside, give you decent pay (bonuses are large now), security, health care, spiffy uniforms and most important of all -- a retirement check!!! You can go trucking when you're 44 if you still want to.

Sealord and I (among others here) are military retirees and I'm betting that any retiree will tell you that trucking looks a helluva lot better with a retirement check hitting the bank every month. It's nice to really be able to tell any boss to take the job and shove it, rather than taking krap.

Remember TANSTAAFL - there ain't no such thing as a free lunch, but I really think you're taking the easy way out by considering trucking. It's an okay job for old retired farts, but terrible for young, on-the-ball guys and I don't think you're a dummy.

"Well Said" I am a displaced 54 yr old going into trucking for atleast 12 years so I can draw my pennies from SS. Wish I had it ALL to do over again.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-13-2009, 12:01 PM
clyde24 clyde24 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3
clyde24 is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Companies that train and hire

i appreciate all the info. it's through MTC in St. Louis, they hire for a few different companies...3 weeks, 10-12 hours a day training, then i get a trainer on the road with me for about 4-8 weeks. i don't have any skills and i live in the midwest. and with the economy the way it is...i think just doing it for a year or 2 to make some money in the bank. i have no family so that helps.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-13-2009, 01:12 PM
icantinaturner icantinaturner is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Gettysburg, PA
Posts: 2,853
icantinaturner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Companies that train and hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde24 View Post
i appreciate all the info. it's through MTC in St. Louis, they hire for a few different companies...3 weeks, 10-12 hours a day training, then i get a trainer on the road with me for about 4-8 weeks. i don't have any skills and i live in the midwest. and with the economy the way it is...i think just doing it for a year or 2 to make some money in the bank. i have no family so that helps.
You are ideally positioned to go in the military, have a great life and they'd welcome you with open arms. I'm not asking you Clyde, I'm **begging you** to think ahead !!!

Serious question: what would you do with some money in the bank? Most Americans have no idea how to handle it and I've read that if we took all the money away from everyone, redistributed it equally, and waited 5 years, it would be right back where it is now. The reason is simple; intelligent people know how to put their money to work. We working slobs have no clue and I definitely include myself. The average American worker is now doomed to stand at the door of a GD Wal*Mart greeting people in their old age. The "American dream" is dead for most.

At 24 you think you'll live forever, but in a flash you'll be old -- with no future -- living in a rented dump, unable to educate your kids for success and have no estate to leave your family when you croak. All those opportunities stopped knocking long ago...

Ponder this; there are three legs to the retirement stool:

- Personal savings

- A retirement plan from where you worked and ...

- Social security.

How are you fixed for legs? What you are planning -- taking the easy way out -- is a surefire way to be miserable later in life. Please go to a truck stop and look around. Danmed near everyone you see will have nothing going for them, poor health, little money and will die old (actually too young) and miserable in a freakin' sleeper berth.

I'm sorry for the rant, but you are in a position that many older truckers would kill to be in. You get one shot at being young.

I'm here to tell you that I'm nothing special and had nothing special going for me as a young guy. No family to send me to Harvard (even if I had the graded), no cool business connections, nothing -- just an ordinary American slacker. The military is flat out the best thing that ever happened to me.

I haven't worn a f***in' watch in two years, worked a lick, I get great health care free and a couple of nice checks in my account every month -- all courtesy of the American taxpayer. Thank you, thank you. Yes, even a goof off like me can live a decent life and enjoy my "golden years" doing what I want -- not what some nitwit boss/dispatcher wants.

Sorry for the rant, but people like you make me crazy. Wise up and look down the road. A good attitude, a willingness to try and work hard while young = a great life. Stop thinking about a dead end job that any dropout can do!!!


If the military won't work for you and college isn't a real possibility, at least consider police work. Done that too, and the pay/bennies rival the military. The downside is no foreign travel (sorry, I love it) , but the retirement is still pretty sweet.

Have you talked this over with yor dad?

P.S. Do you realize how many drivers intended to "just do it for a couple of years?" Well, the seemingly big money (not!) makes trucking hard to get out of, particularly when mama and rugrats happen. After a couple of years, they're too unfit and lazy to get out of trucking. Oh, some will quit, try some real work for a week/month or so then come right back to the easy life. This is the easiest job -- dollar for dollar -- on the planet but few ever leave forever.

Last edited by icantinaturner; 11-13-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-13-2009, 01:33 PM
icantinaturner icantinaturner is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Gettysburg, PA
Posts: 2,853
icantinaturner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Companies that train and hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie54 View Post
"Well Said" I am a displaced 54 yr old going into trucking for atleast 12 years so I can draw my pennies from SS. Wish I had it ALL to do over again.
You are an honest guy, 54, and I wish you the best. I lucked out for no other reason than I was born a few years before you... when the American dream was more attainable.

I'm a pollyanna and dumb enough to think that every American deserves a shot at the dream. The idea that it is now reserved for a "privileged class" just enrages me.

It used to be the American way that each generation does a little better than their parents, but we can kiss that sh!t goodbye. I'm trying to pinpoint exactly when we lost that, got dumbed down to the extent that we are, and gave up on it...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for companies that hire the undesireable O_o melton5660 Layover's Lounge 15 09-27-2008 07:59 PM
looking for companies that train allsunshiine Layover's Lounge (Archive) 9 07-09-2006 05:28 PM
Seeking Company to hire and train teams confident Layover's Lounge (Archive) 6 01-17-2003 11:48 PM
BC companies that hire new drivers bosshog Layover's Lounge (Archive) 1 10-08-2002 07:36 AM
after U S xpress what companies hire? curious Layover's Lounge (Archive) 3 10-10-2000 02:09 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1996-2012, Layover.com All Rights Reserved