Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Layover's Lounge

Layover's Lounge Our local discussion forum where you can discuss just about anything that is related to the trucking industry.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:11 PM

ranger400 is on a distinguished road
Default electronic logs,

I just started with Knight transportation. Prior to deciding to employ with Knight..the recruiter did not tell me Knight uses electronic logging.If Id known this, I would not have carried thru with employment at Knight.I miss paper logs and the loose leaf system. If you've never used electroniclogging, you probly wont like it.1. you can never re-coup driving hours, due to weather- road construction- time at the docks...ect.2. Once your 14 hour clock starts, you cant change it for any reason. You are locked in...no matter what.3. You will actually have to sit for 34 hours to re-set your 34 hr clock.4. Sooner than later, you are bound to deliver some loads late.5. You will have no flexability over your productivity during a load assignment.Everyone thinks electronic logging is the cureall for driver productivity.With electronic logging, drivers lose the best friend they have out onthe road. Im stuck ( for now) with electronic logging....and I hate it.Drifter/ at Knight transportation..columbus division.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:17 PM

bigjoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: electronic logs,

Warren33:

Your use of the space bar and sentence structure was excellent. Your post was easy on the eyes and very readable unlike past posts.

Thank you so very, very much for your co-operation in this crucial matter. Your thoughtfulness is very much appreciated.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:09 AM

gearjammerr is on a distinguished road

E-logg's is not a bad thing is just makes driver's do there job and stay driving not stopping at every truck stop along your way!

However i see all major trucking companys following suit and going that direction sometime. it's too bad we as a professional ocupation can't stand together on anything and take a stand.or just agree on what time zone we are in when we are driving.
JUST SAYING!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:50 PM

lashwhip78 is on a distinguished road

Our company went to electronic logs a couple of years ago. I was used to driving outlaw and the sudden change was hard to adjust to. It takes planning and knowing ahead of time what you are capable of doing and how it will affect you. However, i don't worry anymore about the liabilities,and or, the lawsuits that could arise from running outlaw. In this day and time laywers are now going after the drivers instead of just the companies. I would hate to lose all that i have worked for because i made a choice to cheat on a log book. You never know if an accident could happen. You could be sued effectively with a bad log book regardless of fault in an accident. Falsifing logs is hard to defend. Also it could be criminal and i'm seeing stories of prosecuters going for truckers. With the new regulations coming in november it will but more pressure on truckers to comply, or be forced out. My advice is to learn how to use electronic logs and run smarter. Do that and you will survive the new and coming trucking era
Old 10-07-2010, 08:19 PM

icantlogin is on a distinguished road

Shotgun post -

Ranger - Don't give up yet, dude. I've never used electronic logs but I've talk to plenty of drivers who have and they (reluctantly) got used to them. Some claimed to find ways to fudge a little and like Warren, they do some trip planning. I wouldn't toss in the towel just because I couldn't figure out how to use them.

On loose leafs I can give you a hint -- If you can avoid them don't use them. Nothing tells a cop that you're playing with your log like a loose leaf and some cop's will look further, like asking for embarrassing. Some companies hand out their logs for free (I'm cheap and cops know this) and if we really have to get creative, it's just as easy neatly to tear both pages and log as we see fit. I've had exactly one cop ask me about the almost undetectable missing page and I simply told him that I get paid for turning in neat, legible logs. Problem solved... but I was lying out my a$$. Just an opinion.

Steer -- I've wonder about that too.

Warren -- ditto what Big Joe said. It's easier to read your posts and I think you have figured out the electronic log thing. Good comments.

Big Joe -- Good funny comments as usual.

Gear -- Good comments, but driver will never stand together and we're powerless as individuals.

Lash -- You are making sense. Dinosaurs disappeared because they could adapt to change. and I think truckers need to learn to adapt. BTW, welcome to Layover.