Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Layover's Lounge

Layover's Lounge Our local discussion forum where you can discuss just about anything that is related to the trucking industry.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:29 PM

kenny82 is on a distinguished road
Default For Werner Drivers

Hello...I had a question for those who have driven (or are driving for Werner Enterprises.

I will be starting at werner sometime in September after I graduate from trucking school in a month or so. I understand I will have to endure some possibly harsh training with low pay and hard work. That does not intimidate be...I consider myself a strong person mentally. I am not going into the trucking industry to make "big bucks" but rather just to make a living as I have been unemployed from my old factory job since January.

My question is about the pay AFTER I have completed my training and have been assigned my own truck. I have read many opinions and answers on here about the pay. I have read that werner drivers are sitting in truck stops right now with no work. That is all understandable. The economy is in horrible shape right now.

My question is, WHAT IS THE WORST CASE SCENERIO? $25,000/year? According to my calculations (assuming I spend around 15-20 dollars per day on living on the road) I need mabie $500 gross before taxes each week to take care of my expenses back home AND stay fed while driving (or sitting).

What would be reasonable right now for a driver fresh out of training in this economy? Are werner drivers really sitting around idle so much that they are loosing everything back home?

Any help would be appreciated. I don't have a wife or kids. I have always been single and I am proud I have stayed that way. I still have a small house payment and other expenses related to home ownership...letting the home go back to the bank would break my heart as I am quite attached to this old house.

I thank everyone again for their help.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:50 PM

bigjoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: For Werner Drivers

Any of you Werner drivers want to chime in before I tell him like it really is?

Last edited by administrator; 10-15-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:02 PM

Go ahead, bigjoe...I am probobably going to get your opinion anyway. Just please tell me you have atleast driven for werner and know how their company operates...
Old 07-22-2009, 09:49 AM

bigjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't need to have driven for Werner. Frankly, I'm smarter than that. There are much better choices but to find these companies you have to do intensive research and lots of door knockin'.

Its true that lots of major carriers have trucks sitting idle. The freight just isn't moving and what little freight that is moving is a shipper's market meaning low rates which translates to driver pay and benefit cutbacks, layoffs and drivers sitting idle at truck stops.

I'm not going to attempt to give you a dollar figure you will make after training but I will say if you are single and have a modest house payment and low expectations you should be OK. Not good but OK.

Its amazing how someone will commit themselves to a school and a job and then ask how they will make it.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:03 PM

Post Re: For Werner Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
I don't need to have driven for Werner. Frankly, I'm smarter than that. There are much better choices but to find these companies you have to do intensive research and lots of door knockin'.

Its true that lots of major carriers have trucks sitting idle. The freight just isn't moving and what little freight that is moving is a shipper's market meaning low rates which translates to driver pay and benefit cutbacks, layoffs and drivers sitting idle at truck stops.

I'm not going to attempt to give you a dollar figure you will make after training but I will say if you are single and have a modest house payment and low expectations you should be OK. Not good but OK.

Its amazing how someone will commit themselves to a school and a job and then ask how they will make it.
It is even more amazing how the job market elsewhere (i.e. jobs NOT in trucking) has taken such a nose dive that some of us would do almost anything (and blindly take almost any risk) just to get off state financial assistance and back to being normal and sane. Atleast you were nice, BigJoe...I appreciate that. Ok is all I want to be for now...I can complain about the money later (if it is that bad) when the economy gets better. Anyone else here care to quote a dollar amount? I promise I will not hold you to it....
Old 07-22-2009, 05:58 PM

dindon is on a distinguished road

Kenny,
sorry, I am not a Werner driver either. But you should go for it. If not, you may always wonder what may of came of it.
When I started with Stevens Transport, I only made 22cpm and was able to clear above $30,000 for the year. Now Stevens never had you sitting long. Werner is a mystery to me. But I am sure you will make more than 22cpm.
Please don't be discourage and try to have a good attitude through the whole ideal. Each driver has their own issues. It is entirely up to you.
I do feel you will make more than $25000.

good luck
Old 07-25-2009, 11:39 AM

aladdinsane is on a distinguished road

I quit teaching back in '94 to drive truck. My first job was with Builders Transport. In that first year I made 14,000 dollars. I remember being terrified that I would lose everything and I did.
I stuck it out though and after a few years began seeing improvement each subsequent year.
In reality, there is nowhere in the TL sector that you will make any money. I'm fortunate enough to work for an LTL carrier and my take home has been in the 65 to 70 thousand a year range.
The moral to this story is simply get your experience where you can and strive for better. If you make it through the feces that Werner will sling at you, you can probably get through about anything.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:13 AM

nyndy8altyse is on a distinguished road

Here's the real deal on Werner. I am an owner op with Werner. I was a company driver for 7 years and a trainer for 6 of those 7. All total I have been with Werner for 8 years and continue to be a trainer today. My first year I made 34 k as a solo driver. My last year as a trainer I made 65 and was home every weekend. As with anywhere you go. Your first year will be difficult. Adjusting to the life as a driver. You will also be bombarded with negativity from every angle including yourself. The trick to making it in this business is to have fun and staying positive. I know this isn't much of a detailed company description but my fingers are tired. Should you have any questions at all. Don't hesitate to call me at 931 206 7442. I am always here to help as much as I can. And rest assured that Werner is a good company to work for and be a part of.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:10 PM

ningi is on a distinguished road

I drove for Werner for a total of 7.5 mos as a team driver. We were a high mileage team, that rarely asked for time off before 10wks on the road none stop. Our thanks for running so continously? Having our truck ordered to stop at an unauthorized fuel stop for otr trucks, the truck "Stolen", then recovered 2hrs later on Werner Property by Charlotte NC PD. Ordered by werner to complete delivery in atlanta ga, than ordered to werner yd in atlanta ga, then fired, ordered off property, and have been unable to gain re-employment with any transportation company since. DAC reports NOT DRIVER PREVENTABLE, and werner tried to convince CHPD that it was a horrible mistake, the company was only recovering a truck from the fuel stop....Recover my a--, the "Recovered Truck" wasn't even the same type, color, vin#, MDOT# or TR#, plus it was a bobtail. Ours was still in the fuel pullup lane...with a LIVE BORDER DHL LD!!! on the ATTACHED TRLR!

Good luck with the company, cann't tell you how many drivers you are going to meet that werner FIRED, then rehired due the drivers not being able to get work anywhere else, except at a company that denigriates it's employees who operate the vehicles. Get used to your delivery directions in NY and NJ or anywhere else for that matter, NOT EVEN BEING UP TO DATE OR ACCURATE!!!! and Heaven forbid! you should find 6 streets off of a main street next to the atlanta airport with the same name, and the street you need, doesn't even have the proper name showing until you terrify the airport with driving past the rear takeoff fence. Heaven forbid, you should find more than 1 street in the same area with the same for any of your deliveries! Good luck with the paperless log system as well. Don't breath on the QC, pray the wind doesn't blow, and most of all, don't rock the boat climbing in or out, otherwise you will violate yourself/or logs will do it for you to the point you lose your job.

Once again, have fun with an improperly run company. Safety should have been replaced long before. The DOT needs to pull it's head out of Werner's log departments rear, and truly investigate the companies mismanagement issues from the logs on up.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:31 PM

tandmaru06 is on a distinguished road

I had a good experience working for them years ago so opinions will vary considerably depending upon individual experience. You really don't have anything to lose so go for it! I think you will make more than 25k the first year. Stay with them for at least a year,keep your driving record clean and don't have any accidents and you will have a lot more options after a year.