Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Layover's Lounge

Layover's Lounge Our local discussion forum where you can discuss just about anything that is related to the trucking industry.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:58 AM

ArkNy is on a distinguished road
Default Getting back into OTR

I'm going to return to driving OTR. I've my CDL, clean MVR & DOT physical card.I've driven locally but not OTR.Have talked with numerous companies and they all say the same thing..."go back to school for a refresher course"! I drove OTR for about 8 yrs solo but the glitch, I've been out of the truck since 1997. I came off the road at the request of my ex, should've stayed w/driving. Does anyone know of any decent companies that would hire & retrain so I don't have to pay to go back to school? I realize a lot has changed over the years & I'll most likely have to start out as a "newbie" again.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:30 AM

juno_hoo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Getting back into OTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkNy View Post
I'm going to return to driving OTR. I've my CDL, clean MVR & DOT physical card.I've driven locally but not OTR.Have talked with numerous companies and they all say the same thing..."go back to school for a refresher course"! I drove OTR for about 8 yrs solo but the glitch, I've been out of the truck since 1997. I came off the road at the request of my ex, should've stayed w/driving. Does anyone know of any decent companies that would hire & retrain so I don't have to pay to go back to school? I realize a lot has changed over the years & I'll most likely have to start out as a "newbie" again.

Hi ArkNy, and welcome to Layover. I think you're being realistic because you've been out of OTR trucking for so long.

You didn't mention where you are located and I'm guessing you've already checked with OTR companies in your area. Are there community college driving programs in your area? That might be one way to go. Have you tried applying online?

As for "decent" you know you'll probably have to start with a generic company and they're all pretty much the same. I don't know if any company is still running their own school. Personally, I'd try these guys because I've had good friends that say the company treated them well and they're everywhere.

We wish you BOL.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:23 PM

Thank you for your reply juno_hoo.
I live in NE Arkansas, certainly a lot of opportunity close by & all companies I've talked with have advised going back to school. I'm in the process of returning to school, classes start in 2 wks at a local technical institute. I'm confident with my driving abilities, basically need refresher on the rest(log book, DOT regs & they say the new ?Quadrom Systems? used 2day in trucks).
I haven't applied on-line to any companies since most are saying i need the refresher being I already have my CDL. I talked with the head of recruiting for the company you mentioned, he also stated I needed to go take a refresher course. I've had no luck finding any of the companies that have their own schools. I'd go with an O/O just the get the experience I need to get on with a bigger company.
I have been OTR as a rider(unoffically as a driver also) in the past 3 years so I know it's still in my blood to drive OTR again!
Old 01-09-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your reply juno_hoo.
I live in NE Arkansas, certainly a lot of opportunity close by & all companies I've talked with have advised going back to school. I'm in the process of returning to school, classes start in 2 wks at a local technical institute. I'm confident with my driving abilities, basically need refresher on the rest(log book, DOT regs & they say the new ?Quadrom Systems? used 2day in trucks).
I haven't applied on-line to any companies since most are saying i need the refresher being I already have my CDL. I talked with the head of recruiting for the company you mentioned, he also stated I needed to go take a refresher course. I've had no luck finding any of the companies that have their own schools. I'd go with an O/O just the get the experience I need to get on with a bigger company.
I have been OTR as a rider(unoffically as a driver also) in the past 3 years so I know it's still in my blood to drive OTR again!

It's a shame that you have to go through the whole school thing because it would only take a little while to freshen you up on the things that change, but that's the way it is. You could learn the Qualcomm in an hour and the company should give you a little cheat sheet or booklet. I don't even think the schools go over it but orientation with most companies should cover it.

IMHO, I think you have nothing to lose by applying online. It's free and your app will go out all over the place. I really don't understand the way companies think, unless they just want new rookie meat in the seat. If your record is clean, they could just as easily send you out with a trainer for a couple of weeks to get back in the swing of things, then turn you loose.

As a retired O/O, I would not drive a mile for an O/O. Many are way too flakey, can't afford to pay what a company might pay, could stick it to ya and leave you with no good reference. I wouldn't take the chance and it could amount to spinning your wheels (figuratively).

Once you finish school, you should be good to go because you seem like a good guy. I do wish you luck.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:55 PM

Smile Re: Getting back into OTR

juno_hoo, I did apply on-line and OMG...my e-mail is full & I got 3 phone calls within a 1/2 hour! Those didn't pan out, wanted at least 3 mo verifiable experience! Oh well... There's still a chance & time before school starts. I should've applied on-line a long time ago, I may have been back in a truck already!
By the way, I failed to mention...I'm one determined female!
Thank you...thank you!!
Old 01-09-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
juno_hoo, I did apply on-line and OMG...my e-mail is full & I got 3 phone calls within a 1/2 hour! Those didn't pan out, wanted at least 3 mo verifiable experience! Oh well... There's still a chance & time before school starts. I should've applied on-line a long time ago, I may have been back in a truck already!
By the way, I failed to mention...I'm one determined female!
Thank you...thank you!!
Oops, sorry 'bout that. I assumed that you were a guy and I don't know why.

Now that you've spilled the beans, you'll probably get offers from horny O/Os to "retrain" you...
Old 02-04-2012, 11:32 PM

Smile Re: Getting back into OTR

This is an update on my situation of getting back into OTR. As advised by the many companies i talked to...I've returned to school (1/16) for the refresher course at my own expense(approx$1,300). I am more than happy w/my chose of going to this school(Crowley Ridge Technical Institute in Foresst City, AR), it is reconized by many major companies & certainly cheeper than alot of other schools that say you can get your CDL in 3 weeks at the cost of $5-6 thousand, I am in a class of all newbies that look up to me like a guardian angel. I will complete my refresher by the end of Feb.(total of 5 wks or more if I choose to do so). I've successfully passed my HazMat test & have already been through the fingerprinting process & cleared to add the endorsement to my license. I've a stack of applications to complete but have been researching companies. I'm interested in companies that have a pet policy & would prefer to go w/reefer or flatbed. As long as I can have my dog ride w/me I'm looking at staying out 12-14 days at a time.