Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Layover's Lounge

Layover's Lounge Our local discussion forum where you can discuss just about anything that is related to the trucking industry.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:34 PM

rliebold70 is on a distinguished road
Default is Prime a good company?

i am getting ready to finish my "refresher course" to get back out OTR. so far i have a pre-hire from Prime Inc.can anyone tell me if this company is a good company to work for?i would like to hear some feedback if at all possible.i plan on starting out as a company driver and then checking into getting into some sort of lease/purchase or owner operator program.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:28 PM

icantinaturner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: is Prime a good company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rliebold70 View Post
i am getting ready to finish my "refresher course" to get back out OTR. so far i have a pre-hire from Prime Inc.can anyone tell me if this company is a good company to work for?i would like to hear some feedback if at all possible.i plan on starting out as a company driver and then checking into getting into some sort of lease/purchase or owner operator program.
Hi Rl. I've never driven a mile for Prime so take this for what it costs you. If you search "prime" (without the quotes) on this board and others trucking boards, you'll get a zillion opinions and most will be bad. Most are related to their lease purchase program and most are rumors from people who have never driven a mile for them.

What is your definition of a good company? What's good for one driver might be terrible for another, but have you made a list of factors that are important to you **personally** and asked Prime for answers? Did you write down the name and # of the person answering your questions? Do you have other companies to choose from? How do they compare? Rumor has it that Prime will give you the miles but they will try to guide you into a lease truck.

Think about lease purchase for a moment. You know up front that a company can buy, finance, insure, maintain and operate a truck far cheaper than an individual. You also know that they can demand a higher price for their services than an individual can in his/her wildest dreams. So, knowing that, why would any company share that sweet profit with you?

The answer is that it is more profitable for them. They lease the equipment to you, you pick up all the expenses, take all the risks, and they skim the cream off each load. Prime used to lease the trucks to you through a subsidiary called "Success Leasing"
and probably still do. Something like 75+% of drivers who went lease purshase never completed the lease. Who experienced "success?" The truth is if that truck doesn't haul a single load, they are making money and are successful. You aren't.

The bottom line is -- lease purchase is a sukcer deal for drivers with big dreams of a "purty truck" and big money, but who have lousy credit, an empty bank account and not much business sense. Don't do it. There are too many companies out there today that will pay a company driver as much or more money than the average owner operator can make and the job carries no risk and few headaches.

I wish you BOL.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:41 AM

bigjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantinaturner View Post

The bottom line is -- lease purchase is a sukcer deal for drivers with big dreams of a "purty truck" and big money, but who have lousy credit, an empty bank account and not much business sense. Don't do it. There are too many companies out there today that will pay a company driver as much or more money than the average owner operator can make and the job carries no risk and few headaches.

I couldn't agree more with Icantina. He has hit it right square on the head with his statement above.

It is a profitable deal for them. Amen.

There are no good lease purchase deals. STAY AWAY.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:32 AM

dsross40 is on a distinguished road

I'm at prime now my father has ten trucks over here under his authority pulling their trailers. The problem we have is if they can get you(meaning money they will) and for some reason, control how much you make a week, you never have two good weeks in as row here, its like they don 't want you to make to much money. At this time we are in the processs of moving to landstar. GOOD LUCK
Old 09-05-2008, 11:30 PM

starkitty is on a distinguished road

Prime - Been there, done that. Biggest mistake ever. They get richer, your get poorer. They nail your for every type of expense imaginable. Never lease purchase.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:05 AM

knighton5 is on a distinguished road

The only good things I hear from PRIME drivers (I thought about driving for them also) is from there trainee's and trainers. Ive talked to many Prime drivers on the road (mostly team or trainers). Good Luck in your decision. So if you wanna team with your spouse or be a trainer, there you go! DRIVE SAFE
Old 10-04-2008, 05:40 AM

dragonflats is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkitty View Post
Prime - Been there, done that. Biggest mistake ever. They get richer, your get poorer. They nail your for every type of expense imaginable. Never lease purchase.
when i went to prime late last year i was having trouble making a house pmt and a car pmt.thank god for prime...they were very helpful with this problem.becuse,,,after 3 months the car was repoed and the house was forclosed on.understand that i was in the rears with both notes but i was assured i would make so more than enough to catch up.i saw a few drivers making money but like the poster said before "prime will make there money no matter what" my father said it was like workin for the mob."had truck problems,f**k you pay me"
"you didnot get enough miles,f**k you ,pay me"
i ran into the guy in the add for the flatbed division in ft worth he was getting lots of miles in december,i made 300.00 for that month after fuel and truck pmt and all of the stuff they gig you for.run, dont walk away from them.
just my 2 cents worth.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:33 AM

icantinaturner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflats View Post
when i went to prime late last year i was having trouble making a house pmt and a car pmt.thank god for prime...they were very helpful with this problem.becuse,,,after 3 months the car was repoed and the house was forclosed on.understand that i was in the rears with both notes but i was assured i would make so more than enough to catch up.i saw a few drivers making money but like the poster said before "prime will make there money no matter what" my father said it was like workin for the mob."had truck problems,f**k you pay me"
"you didnot get enough miles,f**k you ,pay me"
i ran into the guy in the add for the flatbed division in ft worth he was getting lots of miles in december,i made 300.00 for that month after fuel and truck pmt and all of the stuff they gig you for.run, dont walk away from them.
just my 2 cents worth.
Hi Dragon and welcome to Layover.

I don't normally rave about Prime but your situation certainly can't be blamed on them. You didn't do your homework, did you?

You were already in arrears on your car note and house payment, when you went to them. It's not about being "assured" of big money, but it is about realizing that you were in deep financial poop and you waited until the last minute to do something. Your choice of fixing your financial problem was to go lease purchase with Prime...

Um, driver, let me tell you the secret of making a million dollars with a lease purchase through any company; start with two million.

We live and we learn, no? Hopefully things have turned around for you. Don't forget to vote Republican next month. They have this "trickle down" thing... Great for the economy and lots of freight I'm sure.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:41 PM

dragonflats is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: is Prime a good company?

well you are right,i was in trouble before i got there but you cant make house and car pmts on empty promises.i worked my a** off for pennies and yes i should have done my homework.but i seem to be one of the sheep whom need to touch the stove before i can tell what hot means. my point was DO NOT FLEASE PURCHESE. oh and i did learn my lesson .i found a good company that treats me right and has good equipment. (and if it breaks down its their headache,)just my 2 cents

Last edited by dragonflats; 10-04-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:36 PM

hottrod41 is on a distinguished road

I have 37 years experience as an over-the-road driver, and for at least 30 of those years I have heard nothing but complaining about Prime. They are garbage, they always have been garbage; stay away from them!

hottrod