Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Layover's Lounge

Layover's Lounge Our local discussion forum where you can discuss just about anything that is related to the trucking industry.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:41 PM

tommie04 is on a distinguished road
Default Learning alley dock parking

I am new to the forum. Is there any trucker who can give me the best approach to alley dock parking (from the driver's side) - I will be taking my CDL test on Tuesday and needs advice asap.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:13 PM

icantinaturner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Learning alley dock parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie04 View Post
I am new to the forum. Is there any trucker who can give me the best approach to alley dock parking (from the driver's side) - I will be taking my CDL test on Tuesday and needs advice asap.
Welcome to Layover.

Here's what I do Tommie -- I go past the dock, swing out a ways, crank the steering wheel and try to put the back of my trailer into the dock. I've tried nosing into the dock but it takes them much longer to load my truck.

Sorry, I couldn't resist that, but I'm confused Tommie. Have you attended a trucking school or had any sort of training? I'm guessing you have or you wouldn't be taking the test. During the training didn't you practice backing? You must have.

If you're looking for a secret tip we could convey on this board, I can't think of any and you should just do it the way you practiced in school.

I think most states will only allow a couple of pullups (3?) and they'll explain that to you before you execute the backing maneuver. They should also tell you how many cones you can knock down and still pass. Sometimes it is better to just knock down a cone or two rather than do a pullup. I don't have to tell you that hitting stuff in the real world isn't cool, but you have to do it the DMV way if you want to pass the test.

I wish you BOL.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:11 PM

fruitloop is on a distinguished road

Hi,

If you do make a pull up, make it enough of one to make a difference. Once you start moving forward they are going to count it as a pull up. It doesn't matter if you pull up 2 feet or 20 so pull up enough to get in the position you need to be. On the other hand though, don't pull up so far that you loose yourself.

Take a deep breathe and take your time. They take points off for pull ups, hitting cones and being out of bounds, but there are no time restraints.

One common mistake new drivers make is oversteering so you might want to keep that in mind.

Best of luck!!

Old 10-20-2007, 12:20 AM

joehill is on a distinguished road

Basically, you'll just have to keep practicing until "the light goes on" as they say..

I can't offer you any specifics for an alley dock,I can't remember having to do a lot of them..

A good rule of thumb, is to turn the wheel in the opposite direction you want the trailer to go ..Give it about 8-9(?) feet before you see any changes once you turn the wheel, thats why it's important that you go slow..Never above walking speed..

You'll get it, in the meantime , just do what they are telling you in school to pass the test..Once you get "out here" you can do what works for you..

Good luck.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:05 PM

kreeper01 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kreeper01

When i did some alley docking, i was trained to hit the first set of cones with the first set of drives, swing the cab at almost a 90* then when the trailer follows, swing the cab back under the trailer until you see the set of cones out your passenger side mirror, stop, get out and look to see if you have set up correctly. You may get laughed at by some Veterans for it, but you'll be safer that way than sorry if you hit someone elses truck. Think of those cones as other trucks at a truck stop.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:40 PM

rocknsand is on a distinguished road

I find if I drop it in low range, I can go real slow without riding the clutch and have more time to make those small corrections that prevent pull ups.
Even opening the door and leaning out to look or leaning out the open window works.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:51 PM

aftershock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknsand View Post
I find if I drop it in low range, I can go real slow without riding the clutch and have more time to make those small corrections that prevent pull ups.
Even opening the door and leaning out to look or leaning out the open window works.
Are you tellin' us that you back in HIGH range?
What is your final drive ratio?
I guarandurntee you wouldn't back in high range in MY Big truck!

I don't ride the clutch or leave the clutch engaged. Rather, I engage the clutch enough to get 'er rolling, then de-clutch and let 'er roll slowly, NOT under power. IF, IF, IF, you SHOULD happen to plow into something, NOT being under power will GREATLY reduce any damage to either object. You SHOULD feel the bump. Under power, you just might back your wagon THROUGH the next door wagon.

Easy does it, slow as she goes.
When you can, get OUT, and LOOK.
I don't know if the DMV allows that now-a-daze, but they did back in the day. As many look-sees as we wanted, within reason. No points loss. Hitting stuff, is another story.

In real life situations, when I'm confronted with a difficult backing situation, I get out and ASK a dock employee for suggestions. MANY times, they have the answer, after watching MANY other Big truck drivers making the same mistakes, over and over.

Twue story,

In a VERY narrow dock area in Los Angeles, made more with 28 foot trailers in mind, while I was draggin' a 53 footer, I thought, No WAY!
But I asked an older gentleman who worked the dock for years, how to do it.

He explained in detail.
Didn't make sense to me, and I mentioned that to him.

He asked me if I was telling HIM, or was I ASKING him?
I shut up.
Tried it his way.
And it worked just fine. First try.

When I returned to the dock, he just smiled and winked at me.
I bought him a cup of coffee.
He smiled again.
And waved good-bye when I was leaving.
My turn to smile.

THANX dock worker dude!
Old 10-21-2007, 05:57 PM

2mega is on a distinguished road

A reliable aide in difficult backing is indeed very helpful..but I think about my trips to the Fulton Fish Markets, in Chicago.

As you departed the dock and entered the street, a cop would walk you (going forward) 2 or 3 blocks through the cluster f__ 'til you could make your turn and head back out to civilization.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:24 PM

pepper45 is on a distinguished road

Toomie...

When you're backing into a spot, there's a "sweet spot" in the wheel, meaning at that point, your trailer will cut either way. Don't vere too far off that spot unless you have to, thats "oversteering". Find that "sweet spot" in your wheel, and backing just got a whole easier.

Watch the wheels on your trailer. Put those wheels where you need them to be.

(in the real world) Always remember to account for your trailer swing if you're backing into a tight spot.

Good luck with the test, I'm sure you'll do fine...
Old 10-21-2007, 09:32 PM

2mega is on a distinguished road

Uhhh...thanks pep....jeez..I forgot I had to take that dang test..and forgot to study for it....dang !!