Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Layover's Lounge

Layover's Lounge Our local discussion forum where you can discuss just about anything that is related to the trucking industry.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:08 PM

johns5561 is on a distinguished road
Default Local Drivers Hours of Service Rules

Question: What is the maximum number of hours you can drive and be on duty for a local driver who works 5 days per week and drives within 150 air mile radius? I have heard several different answers like that it is the same as over the road drivers (11,14 & 70 hr rules) and I have heard from others that it is 12 hours driving and from others that there is a one time 15 hour exception. How about the 14 hour on duty status rule and 60/70 hour rules? Do they apply to local drivers as well? And finally If I bobtail my tractor home does my on-duty time start from when I leave home or when I get to the yard to pick up my load? I am currently using a local log which I love compared to when I was over the road.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:42 PM

sealord is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Local Drivers HoS

HOS can also depend on the state and commodity (oil field & ag). Cali is different than the other 49. bobtail Would love to hear your response to a LEO after he stops you and asks for your logbook. What's your company safety bubba say and will you be backed up by the company? BOL
Old 10-25-2008, 07:14 PM

sprie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Local Drivers HoS

i was a local driver in iowa for a year. But my line haul was 10 miles outside the air mile radius so i had to use a log book, and my company operated 7 days a week so i went by the 70/8 rule.

your best bet is to call your local DoT commercial unit and ask them. they will be your best source for operating legally.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:14 PM

icantinaturner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Local Drivers Hours of Service Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns5561 View Post
Question: What is the maximum number of hours you can drive and be on duty for a local driver who works 5 days per week and drives within 150 air mile radius? I have heard several different answers like that it is the same as over the road drivers (11,14 & 70 hr rules) and I have heard from others that it is 12 hours driving and from others that there is a one time 15 hour exception. How about the 14 hour on duty status rule and 60/70 hour rules? Do they apply to local drivers as well? And finally If I bobtail my tractor home does my on-duty time start from when I leave home or when I get to the yard to pick up my load? I am currently using a local log which I love compared to when I was over the road.

John, I agree with the comments above. I would recommend doing your own homework and not taking the word of another driver, including mine.

You need to familiarize yourself with the requirements in your state as well as this. That page is your friend and DOT cops normally know it. For instance, I believe it is a 100 (not 150) air mile radius and is mentioned in para 395.1.
You'll find that many state assimilate the FMCSR rather than reinventing the wheel and writing their own laws.

Come to think of it, you could pick up a copy of the FMCSR in a truck stop and enjoy reading it in your free time. Many employers hand them out to drivers. Ask your boss for a copy.

Last edited by icantinaturner; 10-25-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:35 AM

johns5561 is on a distinguished road

I went through my paperwork handed out at orientation and found a handout on new hours of service rules which said: The exempt area for short-haul drivers will be extended from 100 to 150 miles. Short-haul drivers may drive a maximum of 11 hours after coming on duty following 10 or more consecutive hours off duty. They are not required to keep records of duty status and they may not drive after the 14th hour after coming on duty 5 days a week or after the 16th hour after coming on duty 2 days a week.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:26 AM

icantinaturner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns5561 View Post
I went through my paperwork handed out at orientation and found a handout on new hours of service rules which said: The exempt area for short-haul drivers will be extended from 100 to 150 miles. Short-haul drivers may drive a maximum of 11 hours after coming on duty following 10 or more consecutive hours off duty. They are not required to keep records of duty status and they may not drive after the 14th hour after coming on duty 5 days a week or after the 16th hour after coming on duty 2 days a week.

I would double check the extension from 100 to 150. I believe that was considered but it doesn't look like the FMCSA changed it. This is from the FMCSA website and you can check it out in section 395.1 (e)(1)(i) for yourself.

Quote:
(e) Short-haul operations.
Quote:
(e)(1) 100 air-mile radius driver. A driver is exempt from the requirements of ?395.8 if:

The handout could have been a misprint but I'm inclined to believe that it's still 100. The cop will probably go by the FMCSR rather thsn the handout. Just a hunch.

BTW, states can always make their laws tighter and more stringent than the federal guidelines, but they can't make them looser without an exemption from the feds.