Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Layover's Lounge

Layover's Lounge Our local discussion forum where you can discuss just about anything that is related to the trucking industry.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:40 PM

surefirejester is on a distinguished road
Default Married Team Trucking advice

Hey, just joined this website and saw that it had a forum. Both me an dmy wife are planning on doing team driving. We are currently in the CDL class held by CR England. At first it is overwelming but we are doing it and so far had no problems and are enjoying ourselves in the class.

I was hoping to get some advice from anyone about team driving and especially with a spouce, and some advice about driving. Im hoping that we can get some good advice before we get out on the road.

Thanks all. looking forward to hearing some feedback and learn more.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:10 AM

kygirlntn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Married Team Trucking advice

welcome to trucking mr. and mrs. surefirejester!! If you have a solid relationship, you should be just fine...but if you are prone to squabbles...trust me...that truck will feel like a one seater outhouse in no time at all..lol.

First thing you might want to think about is...do you really want to run as a "team" or a glorified single? If your goal is to make as much money as you can....you will opt for the "team" mode. However if you want to work and still substain some kind of personal life on the road together..you may choose the glorified single mode.

I ran team for over 3 years when I started driving. Was not in a relationship with any of my codrivers so it was strictly work. I can tell you that if you run as a true team operation, you don't see the other person much. One is driving and one is sleeping or trying to...depending on what state roads you happen to be on...you'll learn quick enough which ones are the worst.

Many of the couples I know pretty much confine themselves to running the truck between 15 and 16 hours a day. That gives them time to shut the truck down and actually be sleeping at the same time and share a meal together. Both being new drivers, you'll like having the other person around to be your second set of eyes in the beginning and as you both get settled into the job....you can use that time for your individual personal time.

One word of caution though....don't fall into the trap of doing things for your wife that she needs to learn or let her do things for you that you have not accomplished yet. I can't tell you how many "team couples" I have met to find out that one..usually the wife has never backed or slid a tandem. Its not fair to either one of you and there will be things that scare you in the beginning. You will resent being woke up from a good solid sleep because the Mrs. can't back it into a dock and she won't be all honey bunny with you if you wake her up cause you can't figure out the route, etc Will save you alot of stress down the road if you both agree to pull your own weight when you are the one in charge behind the wheel.

You might want to invest in an inverter for your truck. You will be able to have a microwave and crock pot and other items that will allow you to eat well while on the road at a third of the cost of truckstop food. And actually you will find you will have better meals than the ones you can buy.

Many couples do great out on the road. The time together bonds them. This can be an adventure you are sharing totally together, so sit back....tighten that seatbelt ....you are in for the ride of your life. Good luck!
Old 12-11-2008, 03:57 AM

crusty is on a distinguished road

My wife and I drove team togeather for 12 years. we started with J.B. Hunt went to Werner then to J.Mar. I will not tell you driving team is easy.
It can get real tuff on you. But i can give you some advice. If you are going to drive team, then be a team.You both need to be able to fuel the truck. You both need to be able to drive in snow and and on ice. You both need to be able to back the truck into the dock. you both need to be able to decend down a steep grade. Im telling you this because there are a lot of teams that are realy one half teams. seen plenty guys that got up to fuel the truck, drive in the bad weather, decend the mountian grades, back into the dock etc. etc .I have also seen it the other way around where the woman done all the work. If you start out with the attitude that your going to share the job. Then you can make good money. and you both will sleep eaiser when your team mate is driving.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:59 PM

Thanks alot for all the advice - The good thing about me and my wife is that we are both independant and in the same time we both are co-dependant. During the training that we are going through now we have discovered more about how well we work together than ever. I passed all of my written tests first time and she only failed the air brakes. That night i had no homework and she had to study for that test, but instead of sleeping i was right there with her making sure that she was going to pass that test the next day.
Even right now that we are learning to Straight back and parrallel park, we both have agreed to be in seperate learning teams so there is no possible way that i would intimidate her or vice versa.
I have taken your advice into consideration, I do have more experience than her in alot of things dealing with vehicles but we have also agreed that she is going to learn how to drive that truck just as well as me. Dont get me wrong, if she is uncomfortabler about driving in ice or backing to a dock..... I will be right there is the passenger seat talking her through it and making her do it herself in order to build that confidence she needs to do this job.
The best thing about us is that we hardly fight - we have the arguments but they are very rare and they usually dont last long enough to make any dent in our relationship. So far, we are top of our class and Im really happy to say that the whole class of 45 students are rooting for us to pass this class and make it. i have never been around so many people that are helpful and actually believe that i or her can do this.
I know we are young ( im 25 and she is 23 ) and alot of people are going to say that we are getting ourselves in deep and other **** like that, but she was there for me when i went to iraq, she was there when i went through my first divorce, and she was there when i needed help to raise my son better. She is not just my wife, she is my best friend, my partner, and my team mate.

i appreciate your guys' advice and i will take everything into consideration, i hope to be able to make some friends on here to get tips and advice about truck dirving. Being a couple on the road i know we are leaving alot behind including friends, family, and a real house. If we are able to know people in the trucking world then it will make her feel alot better and make this transition a little bit easier. thanks all and keep in touch.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:41 PM

davesoest is on a distinguished road

Me and my wife ran team for about 7 months. She did all the qualcomm and paper work, and drove. I drove and did all the backing and fueling. For us it worked out well. The only reason she quit was because she couldent sleep in a moving truck. I think it depends on the couple.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:24 AM

blacksheepdawg is on a distinguished road

What EVER you do, SureFire, ...........
DO NOT FALL FOR C.R. ENGLAND'S
LEASE PROGRAM!!!!!!

As a truckin' company, in general,
C.R. England has one of, if not THE
worst reputations in the truckin' industry.

Have you been told that you'll have to pass through
metal detectors just to see your dispatcher?
How about the armed guards?
I know of NO other truckin' company that thinks
they need those things.

For more information on C.R. England, try

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/

(You may find it necessary to type the address in yourself)

Be careful.
And good luck.

Last edited by blacksheepdawg; 12-13-2008 at 05:29 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:48 AM

bigjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad the "Dawg" stepped in here and warned you about CR England. I second the motion.

Run away as fast as you can from CR England. Even if you owe them money for training...GET OUT!!!! You will owe them more money than you will ever be able to repay if you stay. You could lose your home..car..everything you own and CR England will have no remorse when they ruin you.

Do that and come back here and I will tell you all about team driving. But for now I'm not going to waste my time on a CR England couple that is going to get kicked to the curb eventually.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:03 PM

When I made this post, I made it for one sole purpose which was to get some information about "married team driving" for the first few people replied I appreciated it and then the one thing that I was waiting on happened. Someone had to try to tell me to stay away from england. Look, if u don't like england for what ever reason, I don't really care about the reason, I'm not asking what company I should join or anything - I'm asking advice on married team driving and that's all I want to know. If u want to complain about england, take it to another post. -ive done my research and the majority of people who don't like england eaither didn't want to listen to the rules that were set in place or they went and did the lease program 6 months after they got their CDL and leased without knowing what to expect or be prepared for. That is their own stupidity and if u lost ur house and car because u did 1 of those things, then u brought it on urself. If I'm with a company that I don't like, then I'm going to go to a different one and carry on. I'm not asking for opinions about england, just advice for driving married team. As far as the whole metal detector thing at their HQ, that is how they want to run their company. You have to pass through metal detectors at most main city court houses, does that mean u shouldn't go to a court house because they have metal detectors? So it takes u an extra 5 minutes to get to the HQ, big deal. Get the hell over it. If u got some advice for me about driving married teams, then please post it, if u just want to bad mouth england - then go to some other post and waste their time.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:47 PM

bigjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

AW GEE fellers...LOOK! Another moron that you can't tell a thing to! I'll lay odds this idiot is broke in no time at all. He should have appreciated the best advice to get out before its too late.

NEWS FLASH!

CR England hooks another ****er!

This is our board and you will take the advice you are given. We do not waste our time on losers with poor punctuation. Don't like it...then google another trucking board....but leave a link to where you are going. I want to go over there and laugh my *** off when England uses you up & casts you aside...broke and homeless.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:27 PM

blacksheepdawg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surefirejester View Post
When I made this post, I made it for one sole purpose which was to get some information about "married team driving" for the first few people replied I appreciated it and then the one thing that I was waiting on happened.
So, are you tellin' us that you're already aware of what a shabby outfit you've hired into?
Quote:
Someone had to try to tell me to stay away from england.
Gee, sorry for "trying" to tell y'all the truth.
Quote:
Look, if u don't like england for what ever reason, I don't really care about the reason,
Then you deserve EVERYthing you'll get.
I don't "care" either.
Quote:
I'm not asking what company I should join or anything -
Obviously, for you, failure IS an option.
Ergo, you ask "anything" and hear nothing.
And that's what you'll receive.
For y'all, C.R.E. sounds like a perfect fit.
Until y'all wake up and THROW a fit.
When that happens, and it will, y'all might be askin' WhY-0-WhY didn't I LISTEN?
And THAT would be a GOOD question to ask yourself. Albeit a tad too late.
Quote:
I'm asking advice on married team driving and that's all I want to know.
The ol' eyes wide shut and closed mind approach?
You just wanna hear what'cha wanna hear, and disregard the rest.
Never mind what'cha NEED to know.
Or, SHOULD know.
Right?
Or
Wrong?
Quote:
If u want to complain about england, take it to another post.
Why don't YOU quit complainin'?

It won't be long before YOUR complaints will be the same as you're readin' here now.
What makes YOU think that you're any better than the thousands of other, well intentioned, drivers that C.R. England has kicked to the curb?

This is an open forum.
As such, we say what we think is necessary. If you prefer to shoot the messenger and ignore the message, you won't be the first, or the last.
Just keep in mind that those with that attitude usually end up as failures.
And I can think of no better company than C.R. England to realize that.
Quote:
-ive done my research
Is that a fact?
Hmmmmmmmm

And after said "research" you STILL chose C.R. England?
Hmmmmmmmmm
Interesting.
Quote:
and the majority of people who don't like england eaither didn't want to listen to the rules that were set in place or they went and did the lease program 6 months after they got their CDL and leased without knowing what to expect or be prepared for.
WhO told you THAT?!
A C.R. England recruiter?
And a truckin' company that encourages them to get in over their fool heads with a lease after only 3 to 6 months experience is what, a "good" company?
It's not like they fleece their lease drivers OCCASIONALLY, it happens ALL the time.
England banks on it, and MAKES bank on it.
And continues to encourage know-nothing newBees to take the lease program ---- to disaster.
WhY day doo dat?

Know what?
I doubt you did very much research, if any at all.
At least not with an open mind. More like C.R. England was the ONLY truckin' company that would hire you, so that makes 'em the best.
IMO, y'all are asleep at the wheel and headed for a very rude awakening at C.R.E.
Quote:
That is their own stupidity
I hear stupid is as stupid does. And IMO, you made a stupid mistake when you signed the C.R.E. dotted line.
Ahhhhh, ..... but time WILL tell and tell it will.
Hang ON!
It'll most likely be a bumpy ride --- especially for a husband/wife team tryin' to get along while confined in tight quarters.
Then again, complainin' about what C.R.E. is doin' to y'all might be conversation material to pass the time.
Quote:
and if u lost ur house and car because u did 1 of those things, then u brought it on urself.
Same to you!
Remember that you told us that in the future.
Live and learn.

I've read many such comments from others who insist they'll succeed because ALL the others who have failed just brought it on themselves. Then, it's as if they just drop off the radar screen --- never to be heard from again.

I'd think, if they have succeeded, they'd WANT to come here and say, 'I told you so, BlackSheepDawg'.
But the silence is deafening.
Where'd they go?
Which causes me to believe that they failed and/or C.R. England failed THEM.

Either way, ........................
Most folks don't have the courage to admit that, but SOME do, and have admitted failure, --- complete with the details of how that happened.
However, I'm still waiting for that ONE success story.
Quote:
If I'm with a company that I don't like, then I'm going to go to a different one and carry on.
How many truckin' companies have YOU driven for?
I'm guessin' NONE.

Just be sure you don't have all that much to carry. When those C.R.E. ARMED guards tell y'all to GiT outta here, they mean NOW!

Nice outfit, no?
And they'll TELL y'all that they'll ship to you, anything that's your's that you can't carry, .... on or off.
But they really won't.
What'cha gonna do about it?
Quote:
I'm not asking for opinions about england,
Consider "opinions" a bonus.
And for the price of the opinions, it should be considered a bargain.
Quote:
just advice for driving married team.
My "advice"?
Don't drive team for England.
Could wind up a divorced team.
Quote:
As far as the whole metal detector thing at their HQ, that is how they want to run their company.
The way they treat their drivers makes those things NECESSARY.
WAKE UP!
It's for THEIR protection, based on past, bad, experiences, no doubt.
When they mess with people, they know what to expect, and plan accordingly.
OTHER truckin' companies don't find metal detectors necessary. Doesn't THAT raise a red flag for you?
WHY would a driver being treated right even consider harming their dispatcher, and/or others in their offices?
Quote:
You have to pass through metal detectors at most main city court houses, does that mean u shouldn't go to a court house because they have metal detectors?
Funny that you've mentioned "courts". Don't be surprised if that's where y'all WILL end up after a C.R. England experience.
MANY do.

But, fret not, you should get through the bankruptcy court metal detectors just fine.
But if y'all wind up owing C.R.E. money, it'll be a court of another color.
If YOU don't pay THEM --- they consider YOU a dead-beat low-life.
WHEN they don't pay YOU, it's just the truckin' business. Get used to it.
Of course, they don't TELL y'all that goin' IN.
Butt, y'all will find out in the END.
Quote:
So it takes u an extra 5 minutes to get to the HQ, big deal.
If the TIME it takes was my point, you'd be correct.
But it wasn't.
Why does C.R.E. deem it necessary to be protected from their drivers?
Hmmmmmmmm?
Could it be because their drivers are singin' the SOMEbody done me wrong song, ---- over and over and over again and again and again?
Quote:
Get the hell over it.
OH!
I'm the "hell" "over" it.
"Hell" being the key word here, and, I might add, when it comes to C.R. England, the word fits perfectly.
But for y'all --- it's just beginnin' of "hell".
Mark my words.

Just by readin' your responses to some GOOD advice, I can tell y'all ARE the PERFECT C.R. England candidate, ----- for failure.
You sound like all the other starry-eyed wannaBees who don't know beans when the bag is open, --- and refuse to even consider that they don't know much, if ANYthing, about what the truckin' industry is REALLY all about.

There's a real GOOD reason why the experienced and seasoned Big truck truck drivers warn wannaBees about C.R. England.
Some listen.
Some don't.
Some are smart.
Some aren't.

I'm goin' out on a limb here, but I'm guessin' that y'all have absolutely NO prior Big truck truckin' experience.
Right?

Typical wannaBee know-it-all attitude.
Y'all will be the one to succeed where MOST others haven't.
Well, C.R. England LOVES you.
Quote:
If u got some advice for me about driving married teams, then please post it,
My sage advice was to NOT drive team OR solo for C.R. England.
However, you don't seem to want to listen.
Quote:
if u just want to bad mouth england - then go to some other post and waste their time.
How about this,........... if YOU don't want to hear the truth presented to you by folks with YEARS of Big truck truckin' experience, --- who WELL know the pit-falls of the industry, why don't YOU quit wasting OUR time?

News Flash!
You ARE gettin' what'cha asked for!
It's just not what'cha really wanna hear, .... is it?
Well Tough!
It's the truth, and the truth is what it is, whether YOU want to accept it as such, or not.

There are none so blind as those who would lead a horse
to water, and still not smell the coffee brewin' on the
greener side of the fence.

Or, sumthin' like that.

I'll leave y'all with this parting shot ----
At C.R. England, the light at the end of the tunnel is
a train a-comin'.
Which, sooner or later y'all will discover.
Y'all's last words just might be
Good gawd!
BlackSheepDawg and Big Joe were/are RIGHT!
Followed by
YiKES!

Ba-deeya
Ba-deeya
Ba-deeya
That's ALL, folks.

Mark my words.