Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Layover's Lounge

Layover's Lounge Our local discussion forum where you can discuss just about anything that is related to the trucking industry.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:31 AM

walstib is on a distinguished road
Default Maverick Trucking - Good, bad and ugly please!

I'm looking at starting with Maverick and would like to hear the good and bad...Thank you in advance!
Old 09-24-2010, 08:28 PM

icantlogin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Maverick Trucking - Good, bad and ugly please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walstib View Post
I'm looking at starting with Maverick and would like to hear the good and bad...Thank you in advance!

I've never driven a mile for Maverick, or any other flatbed company for that matter, so my comments are pretty general.

The good -- They're flatbed and rookies just love flatbeds. In driving school they hear the tales of delivering to nasty grocery warehouses, backing into tight spots, maybe lumping loads and waiting hours to load/unload. On the other hand, they hear that flatbedders are loved by appreciative customers who load/unload them instantly, there is less backing involved and flatbed pays a few pennies per mile more. A few days on the backing range at driving school is usually all it takes to get the students looking at flatbed companies like Maverick.

The bad -- Tarping, plus it's also OTR trucking so everything "negative" that applies to OTR also applies to flatbed. You are basically "homeless with a fuel card," stuck in an unhealthy, dead-end job that is getting worse by the year, offers little or no bennies/retirement and that can be performed by a reasonably intelligent chimp. Never mind that you are far from family and friends so a normal life is almost out of the question.

Not quite so bad (but still bad) is the fact that sooner or later every driver must learn to back the truck into a spot. The flatbed newb will bump few docks so they will get much less experience in his/her first year than peers who chose dry vans and reefers.

The ugly -- Flatbedders haul a lot of building and construction stuff. The recent demise of our real estate market and the worst recession 6 decades means that more flatbed trucks are chasing less freight. Oops! Supply demand kicks in and we have cheaper freight. That also means that flatbedders will spend more time waiting for loads and making less money per pay period, even though their rate per mile could be better. Zero miles = zero mileage pay regardless of the rate.

Until this economy is roaring again (don't hold your breath because the GOP could very well retake control this fall), a newb needs to haul things that people will use in the worst of times. Personally, I like reefers because I'll probably have miles if any truck has miles and I hate sitting away from home and spending money in a truck stop. Even in the worst of times, most people will continue to eat and use medicine.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:57 PM

>>>>Until this economy is roaring again (don't hold your breath because the GOP could very well retake control this fall)

To me, this is a positive for us...We can save that debate for another decade...

I appreciate the opinion based on your experience...My only thought was that once you have flatbed experience you could still haul vans and reefers but going the other way would require another training period(strapping and such)...I personally have no concerns of backing into anything, you either have the ability to control the vehicle or you don't...

My goal, or other thought from my inexperienced position would be to do OTR for 2yrs than look for something local for home time, does that sound like a reasonable goal?...I've been married for 23yrs and our only child is out of college and on her own, home time isn't that big a deal for a couple of years...Thoughts?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
>>>Until this economy is roaring again (don't hold your breath because the GOP could very well retake control this fall)

To me, this is a positive for us...We can save that debate for another decade...

If it were a positive for you, you wouldn't be on this board researching a job in an industry that has been engaged in a race to the bottom for years. I don't think that's debatable unless someone has Faux News and Limbaugh wired directly into their cochlear implant.

You'll have to pardon my GOP comment because, as a group, about 80% of the "Fiercely Independent, All-American truckers" consider themselves "conservatives" without being able to explain the most basic tenets of conservatism. Yep, it's the same drivers who scream "strike" on these boards and want "big government" to legislate a fuel surcharge, pay increase, etc, etc. We generally don't vote, don't understand how government works (and could not care less) and have tuned out current events. We cheered as unions declined and as other industries tanked. Now we're upset that workers are looking at trucking to feed their families and driving down our compensation.

Quote:
I appreciate the opinion based on your experience...My only thought was that once you have flatbed experience you could still haul vans and reefers but going the other way would require another training period(strapping and such)...I personally have no concerns of backing into anything, you either have the ability to control the vehicle or you don't...
Well I take the opposing point of view because outfits like TMC teach non-flatbedders to tarp, strap, chain, whatever in less than a week. Backing is a knack and in tie everyone will catch on but only the most precocious driver is going to feel confident about their backing skills in such a short time. Even the experienced van driver is going to "have concerns" at time when he's given a super tight spot, maybe between two beautiful, expensive trucks and his job (and DAC) could be on the line.

Quote:
My goal, or other thought from my inexperienced position would be to do OTR for 2yrs than look for something local for home time, does that sound like a reasonable goal?...I've been married for 23yrs and our only child is out of college and on her own, home time isn't that big a deal for a couple of years...Thoughts?

I think it's a reasonable goal and pretty much the same as my original goal, if (big if) you want to adjust your lifestyle and maybe put the wife to work. I spontaneously quit a DoD civil service job (my personal effort to downsize government) and picked trucking almost as an afterthought. I intended to go local until reality smacked me up side the head. I quickly learned that:

- Everyone wants to go local and the young guys who need to see "Mama" or their girlfriend every night will drive for coolie wages. Then there are old retired poops and empty nesters who will also drive for next to nothing. In reality, I'd make less than I did working for Uncle Sam and have zero bennies.

- Local jobs can involve endless dock bumping and plenty of fingerprinting freight. Good exercise, I'll admit.

- Local jobs are usually on a tight schedules so hustling and fighting traffic with few breaks are the name of the game. Occasionally, OTR drivers will get a load with perhaps 6 drops in one day in a large metro area like LA. Trust me, it isn't that much fun and local guys do that every day.

- One nice job (by standards for that part of CA) was with the local Coca Cola Distributor and involved a nightly run of about 300 miles, didn't pay all that hot and I thought the endless repetition would make me crazy.

Needless to say, I was guilty of bad homework before I ever went to driving school. I discussed the situation with my better half, bought a truck, leased it on and rarely drove more than 190-200 days per year. Note that trucking times were better, freight rates were higher, your government sent me a nice check each month and I didn't have to stay out all year to make a living. As an O/O today with a generic company and no other source of income, I'd do no better than a company driver and I'd spend most of my life on the road. Yippee!
Old 09-25-2010, 07:48 AM

The only reason I want the GOP to take control of at least one house is to create the gridlock(and no, we don't have that now or the plethora of terrible bills that passed over the last 18mths would have never got thru) we so desperately need to end the 'current' runaway train...In NO way do I think the GOP are better, I KNOW both are crooked bought and paid for parties who only do to us, not for us and whenever 1 party is in control, we get even worse **** than we do when neither run everything...I'm as politically aware as anyone and fully understand how govt works...

I have a cousin that works for Maverick and is very happy...I think a lot has to do with where you live as well, here, $2000/mth puts money in the bank and that includes buying a home...The other side of that coin is local jobs here don't pay much, my last job was a home based business(selling info to the mortgage industry) and that paid great because I didn't have a 'local' job but died with the demise of housing...My cousin is making considerable more than $2000/mth so until something else pops up, this will easily support us plus some and I can continue to sell information while I'm driving as a supplement...That business has just deteriorated to the point it has to be a supplement and not the main gig now...I'm willing to find out as I would have to move to find something else as we're not close to a big city where there may be more plentiful better paying jobs(along with higher cost of living) and we don't want to give up our farm and privacy...

Thanx for the insight, and as you said, if it's true...
Old 09-25-2010, 10:55 AM

Wal, I'm puzzled as usual. If you have a cousin who is happy at Maverick and doing alright, we would you even post your initial question here. I would certainly take my cousin's word over that of some faceless stranger on the net.

Maverick sounds like the plan and we wish you well.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:38 AM

perrylane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by walstib View Post
Walstib,
First let me say that some of these guys on here (I will mention no names) wish they had never even drove a truck for a living.
If you have a chance to go to work with Maverick, then I say go for it. They are a good solid company , and have good equipment, and a good pay scale.
There is always good and bad in any job you have. Flatbed is no different.
Tarping is probably the bad. It's not easy,but once you get the hang of it, not to hard.
Some will say ,what does he know, he fell off a load. Yes I did. It only takes one second to make a mistake.
As far as backing, you will find that you will have your share of backing in to docks and places that a dry van or reefer wouldn't even try, so thats just BS. fact is, backing a spread axle is harder than a regular trailer, especially when it's loaded.
So ,in closing I think Maverick would be better than any company such as Swift, Cr England, etc etc,
Best of luck,
Silverfox

Silverfox
Old 09-25-2010, 12:22 PM

Thank you Penny, I've spoke with 6 people that work for Maverick today and ALL are very happy with 3 of them working for [many]others before finding a home and happiness with them...
Old 09-25-2010, 01:04 PM

perrylane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steerbum View Post
Wow Perry, not like you at all not to mention names. Mellowing in your old age?

On the off chance you have a clue, and if you really believe Maverick is better than the other companies you trashed, please give some speficics.

And I don't know of anyone on this forum who “wishes they had never even drove a truck,” but even if some do, that's not really the point.

These newbs come to forums asking for advice about trucking – but maybe what they really want is for somebody to piss in their ear and tell them it's a warm rain. Don't know and don't care – but I ain't gonna do it. Driving was a “last resort for losers” job ten years ago, and that's even truer today.
Hi, mitch, hope you are having a good day. maybe i am mellowing out.
Seems Dennis already has enough information to make his decision.
Just thought I would ruff your feathers a little bit.

Silverfox
Old 09-25-2010, 01:25 PM

bigjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

I have experienced all phases of trucking except livestock and I pick open platform (thats stepdeck & flatbed for you newbie pukes) hands down.

All the horror stories you hear about grocery warehouses and produce docks are true. I haven't figured Icantlogin yet because he is an intelligent person and anyone who sings the praise of hauling to grocery warehouses and retail D.C.'s are usually a pretty mentally retarded bunch.

Maverick is doing well with glass loads and raw materials for the automotive industry which appear to be doing well since I have had some pretty high dollar automotive loads between my normal stuff.

They run good equipment & no junk. Maverick would be an excellent choice.

This is gospel because I know everything there is to know about trucking and no one is to question it.