Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Layover's Lounge

Layover's Lounge Our local discussion forum where you can discuss just about anything that is related to the trucking industry.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:00 PM

wolf597222 is on a distinguished road
Question minimum wage for truckers???

Since all of you guys gave me such good advice before, Iím once again here asking for some help. As some of you may remember I found a job with a flat bed company and I was in heaven. Pay, home time, everything was perfect and more than I expected.

Three weeks ago however the company switched from mile pay to percent pay. It was basically a take it or leave it decision for the employees and owner operators. Company drivers where to get 26% of the load, I- passes and tolls out of our own pocket, O/O where to get 75% of the load.

Of course, since I need the experience, driving for 5 Ĺ month now as a solo driver, I stayed. Iím putting in an average of 55 Ė 70 hours per week, driving anywhere from 2300 Ė 3000 miles.

Since Iím getting paid by 26%, I canít make it financially anymore. My first paycheck with 26% came out to $230, the following to $390 for one week. Today was payday again, and again, I made a whooping $239.11 for 4 loads delivered and 68 hours of work. When I would break that down in hourly wage, I would make less than minimum wage and if they would have to pay me by the mile I would have made $912 gross for that week.

Now the company also put in an allowance account for the drivers. We can take out $150 per week for our food, showers and whatever else we need while on the road, and on pay day, they charge $25 extra and deduct $175 from that pay. With the pay Iím getting right now I had to dip into that account, otherwise I would be out there with no food or shower. Iím guessing that this is a legitimate transaction, but itís still a lot when you donít make anything. What Iíve learned is that 26% of nothing is nothing.

My question here is, donít trucking companies also have to pay at least minimum wage? At least with minimum wage I would have made more money than what Iím making now.

I do need the experience, but I canít survive like that. Already put in applications for other companies and will see what comes around. Just glad that my wife is working, to at least pay the bills, but x-mas looks pretty dark this year.

Just wondering if I should ask my employer about this minimum wage thing or if any of you guys know anything about that?

Thank you again in advance for your advice and god bless.
Wolf597222
Old 12-12-2008, 09:59 PM

davesoest is on a distinguished road
Default Re: minimum wage for truckers???

I dont know about the min. wage thing but something is really wrong..... if the o/o are getting 3 times what you are getting, 239.11 times three plus the 175.00 for the advance, thats 892.33... divided by even 2300 miles = .38 cpm.....??? Theres no way that could be. Even with a fuel surcharge added in that would be insane. Good luck with this but there is something not right.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:22 PM

kygirlntn is on a distinguished road

You are so right to question what they are doing. And it's not right. I would definitely be looking for a new trucking home. You will starve at the rate you are going and work yourself to death while doing it. Good luck but my advice would be to get the heck out of that place and yesterday was too soon.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:11 AM

blacksheepdawg is on a distinguished road

26% of cheap freight is cheap wages.
You went from $911 to $239.11?
You just took a $671.89 bath.

Next, expect that company to go
belly up. Sounds like they're already
sinkin'.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:59 AM

bigjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

The "Dawg" hit it on the head once again!

Tampering with the driver's pay is one last desperate attempt for a financially troubled company to stay afloat.

Find another job...and good luck.

Truck drivers are exempt from the Federal minimum wage standard. Its not right and its an injustice but thats just the way it is. Surely it was a back door deal in a smoke filled room between greedy trucking company exec's & corrupt politicians. But on the other hand the average truck driver is the dumbest thing on the planet and easy to manipulate.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:51 AM

Thank you very much for all of your replies, they are highly appreciated. I thought there was something wrong, and I already put in multiple applications with other companies, also in talk with some recruiters.

Iím not going to quit just like that, but will give them my notice as soon as I have something new. Still will do it the right way, just not to give them the chance to screw me or say something negative on my DAC report.

Hopefully Iíll get hired in one of the companies Iíve applied for within the next two weeks. Heading out to Cleveland now.

Thank you again and good bless
Wolf597222
Old 12-13-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf597222 View Post
...... I already put in multiple applications with other companies, also in talk with some recruiters.
Might I ask which companies you're talking to?
Quote:
Iím not going to quit just like that, but will give them my notice as soon as I have something new. Still will do it the right way, just not to give them the chance to screw me or say something negative on my DAC report.
You are a wise Wolf, indeed.
Quote:
Hopefully Iíll get hired in one of the companies Iíve applied for within the next two weeks. Heading out to Cleveland now.
Good luck & best of success to you.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:34 PM

crusty is on a distinguished road

If you want to earn minimum wage go to work in fast food.
Paying drivers percentage is always a plus for the company.
It is never a plus to the driver. Remember the company and its officials are in it to make money. They could care less weather or not you do, Drivers are a dime a dozen. Your replacement is waiteing at the driving school
Old 12-14-2008, 09:51 AM

Iím in Cleveland and have time to kill till Monday to get unloaded. Even though I was told the company needs my load on Sunday morning and will unload me today, I just found out, the company isnít open during weekends. My company dispatch isnít going to be in the office till Monday morning either, so here I am at a truck stop, like many of you, killing time. Hopefully they have a load for me to keep me going on Monday, one can only hope.

Thank you blacksheepdawg for the reply, Iím talking to JB Hunt, Celadon who has a regional Canadian/USA run (sounds pretty good) Maverick LLC and Sysco foods (which is local/regional run), and some small trucking companies around the area. I live in Wisconsin by the way.

JB Hunt also has a program right now they were trying to sell, which is a lease program, no money down, bla,bla,blaÖwouldnít be worth it as a solo driver (but they make it sound so darn good), but I donít want to lease. Company driver is fine with me for the next couple of years till I get more experience under my belt, I know Iím still at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to trucking.

Like I said before, Iím doing flat bed right now, and donít mind the strapping, tarping, chaining, even in the winter month, it goes with the job. I donít care if I do flat bed, dry van or reefer, as long as I can drive and contribute to the companyís success.

Now to crusty. I didnít say that I want to work for minimum wage, just asked, if there was a law about it, since I was making less than minimum wage. After all, there is a reason that the government put a minimum wage out there for other industries, so I was just wondering.

Iíve worked in fast food before, Iíve worked in warehouses, loading semis, Iíve worked with the railroad as an inspector, as a ham maker, in construction, carpenter and lots of other jobs. Been there, done that. There is no job too low when it comes to making a living and supporting a family. Everybodyís gotta live and keep a roof over their heads and food on the table. Even if it would mean having three fast food jobs, just to make it till something better comes around, Iíd do it.

I realize that there will be the next grad student waiting in line to take my spot, but if I can find a driving job at another company where I actually donít have to work for less than minimum wage, I will take that opportunity.

Trucking is my passion, always has, always will be.
Of course itís more profitable for the company to pay me by percent, but unless I was in for charity work, nothing is for free in this world, and just like the companies, I also need to survive.
Iím not trying to get rich, that wasnít the purpose of me joining this industry. Just a decent living so we can float. But since my sleeper doesnít have a shower, which, by the way you desperately need when doing flat bed, especially in the winter month, you also know how much it costs to keep a trucker fed and bathed while on the road. I take as much food with me from home as possible, but when Iím on the road longer, I still need to buy food and take showers, which again do cost money.

My wife and me have seven children together (24, 22, 21, 19, 9, 4 and a 22 month old), as well as three grand children, last one was born Dec. 2nd, two weeks ago when I was on the road.

The three youngest ones are still at home, the older ones turn into boomerangs sometime and come back for a while and then leave again.

Our oldest son just finished his apprenticeship program in Germany with BMW as an electrical/mechanic, has his bachelors degree and starts back to college in March to do his masters in electro-techniques.

The second oldest son has three more years to finish his college degree to become a radiology technician.

The third oldest son has another two years in college, he wants to become a conservation warden for the DNR and studies natural resources.

Our oldest daughter just started college in criminal justice.

The three oldest boys are married and have wifeís and children and work very hard to do whatever they have to, to reach their goal. They all seen how hard it was for their mother and me to get them to where they are and who they become as a human beings.

This year it was my turn to accomplish my dream of becoming a truck driver. It wasnít easy to get through school financially, but with the support of my family, and specially my wife who is working very hard for all of us, we reached our first goal, which was, that I can put my skills to use for our family and the company Iím working for.
Weíre not asking for handouts, we work for our living. We have our children, and by having them, we took the responsibility upon us to raise them, provide for them and do everything in our power to prepare them for the world outside to become good citizens that also can give a little back to our country and community, like we are trying to do.

Now Iím getting my feet wet in this industry and I still have a heck of a lot to learn, but with the help of my family, you experienced truckers out there, and our faith in god, we know that we can make it, always have, always will.

We know that there are families out there that have it much worse than we do. We have friends that lost their jobs, friends that face foreclosure because of their job loss. We know families that donít know how to get through the next month even though theyíve worked hard all their lives.

Economy, employers that donít care and decide to lay off before Christmas with no warning, someone getting sick and loosing their job. We all have our little package to carry and try to make the best of it.

Each one of us has our little story to tell. Since Iíve had some time on my hands, thought Iíd let you in on some of mine.

You guys drive safe, thank you for all the feed back and god bless

Wolf597222
Old 12-14-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf597222 View Post
Iím in Cleveland and have time to kill till Monday to get unloaded. Even though I was told the company needs my load on Sunday morning and will unload me today, I just found out, the company isnít open during weekends.
Sounds like an end-run to assure that you're there when the receiver wants you.

Whenever I was told I had a Sunday delivery, I called ahead to the receiver to verify that information. More often than not, I was informed that they just say "be there on Sunday" to assure the load WOULD be there early Monday morning.
Seems construction workers like to get an early start and don't want to stand around waiting, while ON the clock, I might add.
Quote:
My company dispatch isnít going to be in the office till Monday morning either, so here I am at a truck stop, like many of you, killing time.
I bet that ain't ALL you'd like to "kill"

One of the best dispatchers I ever had, had a framed inspiration above his desk. It read -----
Some people are still alive,
only because it's against the law
to kill 'em
Quote:
Hopefully they have a load for me to keep me going on Monday, one can only hope.
At least hope is free.

Quote:
Thank you blacksheepdawg for the reply,
You're quite welcome, Wolf.
Quote:
Iím talking to JB Hunt, Celadon who has a regional Canadian/USA run (sounds pretty good) Maverick LLC and Sysco foods (which is local/regional run), and some small trucking companies around the area. I live in Wisconsin by the way.
You live in the Badger State and you haven't called Schneider?

Quote:
JB Hunt also has a program right now they were trying to sell, which is a lease program, no money down, bla,bla,blaÖwouldnít be worth it as a solo driver (but they make it sound so darn good), but I donít want to lease. Company driver is fine with me for the next couple of years till I get more experience under my belt,
WoW!
The more I read what you write, the more wise I realize you are.

I'd imagine that after you get a few years experience under your belt
, you'll understand why those fleece programs are to be avoided, even for experienced Big truck truck drivers.
Quote:
I know Iím still at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to trucking.
Sometimes referred to as 'left-overs'? <<snip>>
Quote:
Now to crusty. I didnít say that I want to work for minimum wage, just asked, if there was a law about it, since I was making less than minimum wage.
<<snip>>

Quote:
Iíve worked in fast food before, Iíve worked in warehouses, loading semis, Iíve worked with the railroad as an inspector, as a ham maker, in construction, carpenter and lots of other jobs. Been there, done that. There is no job too low when it comes to making a living and supporting a family. Everybodyís gotta live and keep a roof over their heads and food on the table. Even if it would mean having three fast food jobs, just to make it till something better comes around, Iíd do it.
Quote:

I realize that there will be the next grad student waiting in line to take my spot, but if I can find a driving job at another company where I actually donít have to work for less than minimum wage, I will take that opportunity.

Trucking is my passion, always has, always will be.
Of course itís more profitable for the company to pay me by percent, but unless I was in for charity work, nothing is for free in this world, and just like the companies, I also need to survive.
Iím not trying to get rich, that wasnít the purpose of me joining this industry. Just a decent living so we can float. But since my sleeper doesnít have a shower, which, by the way you desperately need when doing flat bed, especially in the winter month, you also know how much it costs to keep a trucker fed and bathed while on the road. I take as much food with me from home as possible, but when Iím on the road longer, I still need to buy food and take showers, which again do cost money.

>>>My wife and me have seven children together (24, 22, 21, 19, 9, 4 and a 22 month old), as well as three grand children, last one was born Dec. 2nd, two weeks ago when I was on the road.<<<
Holy mackeral!
Now THERE'S a job --- full time.
And, IMO, the MOST important job ANYone can have.

How are the kids doin'?

Quote:
The three youngest ones are still at home, the older ones turn into boomerangs sometime and come back for a while and then leave again.
Quote:

Our oldest son just finished his apprenticeship program in Germany with BMW as an electrical/mechanic, has his bachelors degree and starts back to college in March to do his masters in electro-techniques.

The second oldest son has three more years to finish his college degree to become a radiology technician.

The third oldest son has another two years in college, he wants to become a conservation warden for the DNR and studies natural resources.

Our oldest daughter just started college in criminal justice.

The three oldest boys are married and have wifeís and children and work very hard to do whatever they have to, to reach their goal.
Man-0-Man, Wolf!
I'm impressed.
YeS I am.
And you can tell your wife that BlackSheepDawg said so.
Quote:
They all seen how hard it was for their mother and me to get them to where they are and who they become as a human beings.
Teach by example?
What a concept.
Sounds like they learned their lessons well.

Quote:
This year it was my turn to accomplish my dream of becoming a truck driver. It wasnít easy to get through school financially, but with the support of my family, and specially my wife who is working very hard for all of us, we reached our first goal, which was, that I can put my skills to use for our family and the company Iím working for.
Can it be said that your wife and you are equaly yolked?
I sure wouldn't let her get away.
No sir.

Quote:
Weíre not asking for handouts, we work for our living. We have our children, and by having them, we took the responsibility upon us to raise them, provide for them and do everything in our power to prepare them for the world outside to become good citizens that also can give a little back to our country and community, like we are trying to do.
I'm sure they apperciate that, too.
I know I do.
Job well done, sir.

Quote:
Now Iím getting my feet wet in this industry and I still have a heck of a lot to learn,
In the truckin' industry, I suggest hip-boots. It can get pretty deep.
Quote:
but with the help of my family, you experienced truckers out there, and our faith in god, we know that we can make it, always have, always will.
I usually inform wannaBees and newBees that the one keepin' the home fires burnin' have the harder job, and stress that they be aware of that and that they're sure that they're up to the task. But in your case, I think y'all have it handled.

Quote:
We know that there are families out there that have it much worse than we do. We have friends that lost their jobs, friends that face foreclosure because of their job loss. We know families that donít know how to get through the next month even though theyíve worked hard all their lives.
Too true!
Kinda humbles one to realize that there, but for the Grace of God, go I.
Help 'em when and if y'all can.

Quote:
Economy, employers that donít care and decide to lay off before Christmas with no warning, someone getting sick and loosing their job. We all have our little package to carry and try to make the best of it.
It's a learnin' experience, no doubt.

Quote:
Each one of us has our little story to tell. Since Iíve had some time on my hands, thought Iíd let you in on some of mine.
YeS we do.
And I/we appreciate that you've shared a little of your story with us. There's much to glean and wisdom to absorb in your words.

Quote:
You guys drive safe, thank you for all the feed back and god bless.
Quote:

Wolf597222
Right back atcha, Wolf!
In triplicate.
Please keep us informed?
Believe it or not, there ARE those here who really ARE concerned for our fellow Big truck truck drivers, --- and wish them the best of success in their vocation as well as their lives in general.

Before I sign off on this post, I have two words for you to consider, -----------
Conway Truckin'.
Take those words for what they're worth, amigo.