Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Layover's Lounge

Layover's Lounge Our local discussion forum where you can discuss just about anything that is related to the trucking industry.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:10 PM

truckingbear is on a distinguished road
Red face Multiple Sclerosis and a CDL

Does anyone know if a MS diagnosis does anything to your CDL? I dont have any of the vision or balance problems dont even know if I have it, but I am in the testing phase of it all and was wondering if anyone knows anything about that subject. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Truckingbear
Old 01-28-2009, 03:44 PM

tween5and99 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Multiple Sclerosis and a CDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbear View Post
Does anyone know if a MS diagnosis does anything to your CDL? I dont have any of the vision or balance problems dont even know if I have it, but I am in the testing phase of it all and was wondering if anyone knows anything about that subject. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Truckingbear
First of all, I wish you well and hope you don't have it. Second, what an interesting question.

I googled it and there's a bunch of stuff out there about it - and apparently, once diagnosed with MS, if your doc sends a note saying that you're able to function well enough to drive - you're good to go.

Good luck!
Old 01-29-2009, 10:15 AM

kygirlntn is on a distinguished road

I have two relatives with MS and it's a condition that progresses differently with each person.

Unless you enter a bad stage of it, you should be good to go with driving. My sisters doctor did stop her driving for a period of time when she was having a bad spell but two months later, okayed her driving status again.

Good luck!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:37 PM

10speed is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have M.S. and was driving hauling oversize loads. I did it for 6 years until my symptoms caused me to question everyones safety. I was getting spells of light headedness. They would come and go. I finally took myself off the road so I would hurt anyone, myself included. That was two years ago. After that I got a local job driving a pedal truck until things got so bad the company and I agreed it would be best for all if I stopped. That was two weeks ago. The light headed didn't affect my pedal truck driving, it was my memory loss that was messing things up. Anyway, like someone said it all depends on how M.S. affects you. It's up to you and your Dr. Good Luck and Take care.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:50 PM

truckingbear1976 is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for your words and experiences. Went to the doctors today and he said I still have a brain and no MS thankfully. Now back to the drawing board with the symptoms I have. Thanks again and sorry 10speed about not driving now. Not sure what I would do if I could not drive.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:19 PM

earlsh is on a distinguished road

I quit driving 13 years ago after being diagnosed with MS. I am surprised to hear of other drivers with the same problem. Does anyone know of a connection between driving and MS?
Old 02-06-2009, 09:46 AM

tween5and99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlsh View Post
I quit driving 13 years ago after being diagnosed with MS. I am surprised to hear of other drivers with the same problem. Does anyone know of a connection between driving and MS?
I swear - I would have thought that was about the silliest thing I'd ever heard...until I read this.
http://www.umm.edu/patiented/article...s_000017_4.htm

While this article doesn't say that driving itself is a risk factor (in fact, I'd guess it's a long long long shot) some researchers believe that a genetic predisposition to MS may be triggered by environmental factors, generally a virus.

But even if one cannot get MS from driving, there are many reasons (including health related reasons) to choose another profession.