Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Layover's Lounge

Layover's Lounge Our local discussion forum where you can discuss just about anything that is related to the trucking industry.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:46 PM

92101 is on a distinguished road
Default NEED ADVICE ON 90 Degree Alley Dock

I im in school right now and they way i am being taught is to use landmarks in yard to alley dock but those landmarks wont be there in third party testers yard so is there any visulation aids that i could use or just any advice to help me get the 48 ft trailer in the hole? Thanks
Old 09-24-2010, 09:32 PM

icantlogin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: NEED ADVICE ON 90 Degree Alley Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92101 View Post
I im in school right now and they way i am being taught is to use landmarks in yard to alley dock but those landmarks wont be there in third party testers yard so is there any visulation aids that i could use or just any advice to help me get the 48 ft trailer in the hole? Thanks

Hi, 9201, and welcome to Layover. I think it is almost easier to back a truck into a spot than it is to explain how it is done.

I think things get complicated when the backing maneuver is performed during the driving test. It's been a long time since I took it but I vaguely recall that they had some rules about the number of pull-ups you could do and the number of cones you could knock down and still pass. That isn't "real world" but we're stuck with doing it a certain way for the test. Ask your instructors how the maneuver is graded by the testers in your area. Sometimes it is better to knock down a con than it is do do the extra pull-up that will result in failure.

You might view this video and it might help. At about the 2 minute mark you can see the driver's view in his mirror. See the distance to the cone in the mirror?

When at the backing range I always tried to:

- Always make my approach (as I drive up to the spot but before I turn out) about the same distance out away from the cones (maybe one truck width). If you make one approach two feet out and the next approach 12 feet out, it is going to effect your setup somewhat.

- Always turn out for my 45 degree setup at about the same point. If it's one and a half or two truck widths past the cones in your truck, do it that way each time.

- Use spots on the ground (tire marks, whatever) that were easily visible near the left side of my cab (Steer's point). If someone goes before you during the test, note their spot. For me spots work better than landmarks when it comes to position my tractor.

- Get pretty much the same image in my mirror every time, particularly the position and distance from the rear of my trailer to the first cone.

Don't panic and, with the exception of the first clockwise movement of the steering wheel as you start backing, make small movements and wait a second for the truck to react. Most newbs make great big movements, twirling the wheel back and forth but don't wait for the tail of the trailer to react.

Another thing that always helped me -- when it came to deciding which way to turn the wheel even for small corrections -- was to imagine that I was pushing the image of the trailer out of my mirror. F'rinstance, if I have too much trailer visible in my left mirror, I turn the wheel to the left and "push" it out of the mirror. It works the same for the right. I mention this because when we're newbs (and oldtimers), we have momentary brain farts and turn the wheel the wrong way.

Most of all, think positive and try to relax. Millions have passed the test and you improve with practice. If you blow it the first time, you'll get plenty more chances. No big deal.

We wish you BOL.

BTW, check YouTube for "tractor trailer backing." Pretty cool vids including real world stuff like this and this.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:18 PM

Thanks both of you should help greatly i did much better today following tracks and i have to figure out exactly where i need to be and timing to start wheel movement but you guys should def help i appreciate all and i will up date i am going tinto my 2nd week week of 4 week 160 hr programim sure ill do good now i just wanna memorize pre trip thanks Dennis 92101
Old 09-24-2010, 10:19 PM

walstib is on a distinguished road

Thanx for the info and links!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2010, 10:27 PM

icantlogin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92101 View Post
Thanks both of you should help greatly i did much better today following tracks and i have to figure out exactly where i need to be and timing to start wheel movement but you guys should def help i appreciate all and i will up date i am going tinto my 2nd week week of 4 week 160 hr programim sure ill do good now i just wanna memorize pre trip thanks Dennis 92101

Dennis, in the second week of school () darned near every driver was secretly convinced that they'd probably never pass a backing test and some were also worrying about shifting gears well enough to pass. Off topic hint: gentile pressure using fingertips instead of hamfist.

You are going to do just fine when you test.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:48 PM

perrylane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantlogin View Post

Dennis, in the second week of school () darned near every driver was secretly convinced that they'd probably never pass a backing test and some were also worrying about shifting gears well enough to pass. Off topic hint: gentile pressure using fingertips instead of hamfist.

You are going to do just fine when you test.
Dennis, when you are backing in straight from a side angle, you want about 10 feet out, and turn when you have the tractor one length past the hole. to angle park, do the same except let the trailer pass the hole about 10 or 12 feet, then start your backing. make small turns as the trailer moves in position, do not oversteer, most people do that when they are learning.
Also do the same when parallel parking, pass the hole about10 t0 12 feet, but get about 6 feet out.
Also, and they wont tell you this is school, but there's this thing called
G.o.a.l. It stands for GET OUT AND LOOK. Before you pull up to many times you can do this.
Also remember to keep you eyes in the mirrors. If the instructor, doesn't think you are looking in them when you take the driving part of the test, he can fail you for it.
Good Luck,
Silverfox

Silverfox
Old 09-25-2010, 01:14 PM

even more good advice thanks you guys I appreciate all the help
Old 09-26-2010, 07:52 PM

THANKS EVERYONE, Now just need to memorize my PRE trip lol but ill get it and thanks again