Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Layover's Lounge

Layover's Lounge Our local discussion forum where you can discuss just about anything that is related to the trucking industry.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:05 AM

taz2112 is on a distinguished road
Default Remember G.O.A.L?

Tonight I'm sitting in the Wilco in Toms Brook, VA. Dead to the world because I just drove my full 11 hours today. Sure enough, 2 hours later, the whole freaking truck is shaking. Yes, another driver has torn my mirror off again. Please, new and old drivers-take the **** time to get out and look before you back up. I realize you're really tired and don't feel like getting out, But take your time, turn the **** cb radio off, get out of the truck, walk back and look. It doesn't take much time and to hell with the other drivers waiting behind you..they can freaking wait.

my 2 cents worth,
Taz
Old 09-25-2008, 12:06 PM

icantinaturner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Remember G.O.A.L?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz2112 View Post
Tonight I'm sitting in the Wilco in Toms Brook, VA. Dead to the world because I just drove my full 11 hours today. Sure enough, 2 hours later, the whole freaking truck is shaking. Yes, another driver has torn my mirror off again. Please, new and old drivers-take the **** time to get out and look before you back up. I realize you're really tired and don't feel like getting out, But take your time, turn the **** cb radio off, get out of the truck, walk back and look. It doesn't take much time and to hell with the other drivers waiting behind you..they can freaking wait.

my 2 cents worth,
Taz
Isn't that the truth? To be awakened that way has to be one of the most sickening feelings in the world. Hopefully the driver didn't try to run away.

I completely agree with ignoring the other drivers waiting to get past. I'd rather see a guy get out 5 times and take 20 minutes than to see him clip someone. If I'm in that big of a rush, I should have left earlier. If it's that tight, I should get off my a$$ and help him.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:13 PM

swerve is on a distinguished road

HOLY COW TAZ!!!

I can't even IMAGINE that...

I suspect it would be one of the RARE INSTANCES I'd become TOTALLY OUT OF CONTROL!!!

I did find ONE part of your post ODD though -- I ALWAYS turn UP the volume on my CB when backing into a spot...

JUST IN CASE someone see's something I don't...

BUT...

What an AWFUL experience that must have been...

Old 09-25-2008, 07:55 PM

blacksheepdawg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantinaturner View Post
I completely agree with ignoring the other drivers waiting to get past. I'd rather see a guy get out 5 times and take 20 minutes than to see him clip someone. If I'm in that big of a rush, I should have left earlier. If it's that tight, I should get off my a$$ and help him.

BINGO!
Don't make y'all's problem --- EVERYbody's problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerve View Post
I did find ONE part of your post ODD though -- I ALWAYS turn UP the volume on my CB when backing into a spot...

JUST IN CASE someone see's something I don't...

YuP!
I agree.
Squelch down --- volume up.
I've had other drivers holler over the CB to tell me to hold up while they grab
a flashlight or their raincoat, and lend me a hand backin'.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:41 PM

byrdman37876 is an unknown quantity at this point

For those not familer with G.O.A.L?

Get
Out
And
Look........

broken mirrors ****.......and u get 7 years bad luck
Old 09-27-2008, 12:53 PM

lady_j499 is on a distinguished road

Thats Not ALL that needs to be in check here..The other day I was in downtown chicago delivering as usual! The big lighted chicken trucker attitude needed a pleasant reminder that he doesn't always have the right away cuz his truck is prettier then my old 9 yr old freightliner. He tried to clear my truck nose to hurry up & get by me. He couldn't wait for me to drop the trailer to make passing room in the street for traffic, he was in a hurry & had the right away. I watched the hood of my truck & hood mirrors get cleared by 2 inches as he passed by. I made the comment on the radio..Thats OK Hun.. I can always use a NEW hood for the truck. Im sure my employer would love the fact that you can afford that for him! Just as I said that! SNAP, I heard him catch his pretty truck skirting with all his pretty chicken lights on the curbing to his other side! Awwww...NO MORE PRETTY TRUCK TODAY! Just Wasn't His Day To Assert His Attitude!

Lady_J
Old 09-27-2008, 02:31 PM

knighton5 is on a distinguished road

Another reason to stay out of truck stops (if possible)... Ive seen so many accidents with trucks pulling out and backing in or cutting a corner to short and hit another truck. The less time your truck sits in a truck stop the better. Personaly ive never seen an accident in a rest area or even a side street/road in a industrial area. That doesnt mean your safer or it doesnt happen, but I think your odds are much better if that option is available to you. Just my own .02 worth. G O A L

Drive Safe
Old 09-27-2008, 03:27 PM

2mega is on a distinguished road

Seventeen years of otr driving and parking..I determined the safest parking places were the ones in front of fuel islands.

If I was going to be in a truck stop for awhile..I would park..sit at the wheel..get a more desirable space as they became available..often eventually on the front row..at which time I could relax and do my business.

If someone should clip you..you're more likely to have a witness..and it's much harder for anyone to block you in.

I was never ran into....I practiced safe parking as much as safe driving.

I did have a L.F.fender and headlight smashed once while parked at the dock..Boston Mkt (Chelsea).

The driver was an O/O..said he'd been driving 13 years..and apologized profusely....didn't help my attitude much..since I had to look after repairs without compensation.....I was a rookie working for a 15 truck thug outfit.

I made it a practice to almost never park in pickle parks....they are often tight parking..and rookies seek them out....very common to have a tight situation when ready to leave..did most of my driving at night..when conditions allowed it.

Parking..and sleeping daylight hours prevented me from countless exposures to bad parking situations.

Last edited by 2mega; 09-27-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:36 PM

blacksheepdawg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_j499 View Post
Thats Not ALL that needs to be in check here..The other day I was in downtown chicago delivering as usual! The big lighted chicken trucker attitude needed a pleasant reminder that he doesn't always have the right away cuz his truck is prettier then my old 9 yr old freightliner. He tried to clear my truck nose to hurry up & get by me. He couldn't wait for me to drop the trailer to make passing room in the street for traffic, he was in a hurry & had the right away. I watched the hood of my truck & hood mirrors get cleared by 2 inches as he passed by. I made the comment on the radio..Thats OK Hun.. I can always use a NEW hood for the truck. Im sure my employer would love the fact that you can afford that for him! Just as I said that! SNAP, I heard him catch his pretty truck skirting with all his pretty chicken lights on the curbing to his other side! Awwww...NO MORE PRETTY TRUCK TODAY! Just Wasn't His Day To Assert His Attitude!

Lady_J

Happenings like that just further convinces me that, truly there is a God in Heaven. And I'm glad I left the revenge up to Him.

I'm inclined to want to introduce people like you've described to
Mr. Fist.
Mister Fist meets Mr. Face.
But nowhere near as satisfying as His way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighton5 View Post
Another reason to stay out of truck stops (if possible)... Ive seen so many accidents with trucks pulling out and backing in or cutting a corner to short and hit another truck.
AHHhhhh!
Someone with a memory!
I like that.
More on that later.
Quote:
The less time your truck sits in a truck stop the better.
That all depends, Knighton.
Quote:
Personaly ive never seen an accident in a rest area or even a side street/road in a industrial area.
Have you seen the aftermath of such incidents?

Do y'all go over to check 'em out?
Do y'all think that's bein' too nosey?
So WhaT?!
Y'all CAN learn from other's mistakes, too.
Ya reckon.

Go over and re-create what set it up to begin with. Read the scene.
Don't just go up there, look at a busted mirror on another Big truck, and say bummers.
Although that's where most of the other drivers will probably be. Complainin' & cussin' --- but learning little.

Once y'all have memorized what leads up to an incident, park accordingly.
If that means extra walkin' so that'cha can park next to a building or other objects that aren't likely to be goin' anywhere, DO IT.
That's one side y'all don't have to worry about gittin' hit. I prefer the right side -- and jack my Big truck just a tad so that my exposed mirror is more tucked in, and less likely to be damaged.
And, if another Big truck trailer has made it that far, I think the mirror would be the least of my worries. They'd be into my bunk -- deep.
Quote:
That doesnt mean your safer or it doesnt happen, but I think your odds are much better if that option is available to you. Just my own .02 worth. G O A L

Drive Safe

I sure don't disagree with G.O.A.L.
And I've been drenched with rain many times as a result.
I've also never collected another Big truck or trailer in all the backing I've done. So, for me, the system seems to be working.

HOW y'all park is just as important, often, as WHERE y'all park.

Here!
Jump up in the jump seat and let's check out a truck stop parking lot to shut down for the night ----

We're just turnin' into the fuel island area, but we won't fuel 'till tomorrow mornin' -- but I still check it out.
WhO's hangin' 'round?
Is the area clean?
Well lit?

Now we're headin' for the parkin' area.
Notice I turn the CB
ON?

YuP!

I wanna listen to who's there.
I flip the channels as I cruise the whole parking lot, ....... just lookin'.
If I hear calls for "baby dolls" and/or "go fast", and/or see baby dolls playing tag in and around the parked Big trucks, well, ..... I have a decision to make. That being, do I REALLY want to park there?

But BlackSheepDawg knows those places and avoids them.
This truck stop isn't like that, but I still check the parking area out for that particular spot.
Might be a building, or snow removal equipment stored in a former Big truck parking spot. May not be convenient, but it's safer.

And folks, if y'all have never had a mirror scraped off and bent up, y'all are fortunate. Have that happen when y'all could have parked in a better place, and ask y'all's self how much of an inconvenience it really mighta been.

If y'all park next to a long nose pullin' a long trailer --- don't pull all the way up to his nose. Anticipate what that Big truck combination is gonna require when it pulls out. And adjust accordingly.

LOOK at the truck(s) y'all will be parked next to.
Are they dinged-up company Big trucks, or nicer looking with no visable damage. If you have a choice of the two, which do y'all reckon would be the least likely to ruin y'all's day, or night?

I'm a stickler for parking a Big truck and Big trailer STRAIGHT!
And even got blamed for parking TOO straight when another driver scraped off my right mirror.
I knew how he meant it, but that's not the way I took it.
That's when it sunk in that had I jacked the tractor, just a tad to the left, the tail of his 53 footer would have missed me.
His trailer mighta hit the nose of my trailer or the right corner of my Big cab-over, but at least I would have a mirror to view the damage as I was (still) rolling down the highway, instead of getting special permission to drop my loaded wagon at the shipper (Gallo Wine) and limp into town, blind on the right side, at about 10 pm, and wait an hour for a mechanic to re-open the shop which closed at 6 pm.

An ounce of prevention is worth a
pound of cure.
WannaBees and most rookies will only learn through experience, their own, or by other's mistakes. That takes time and effort.
And a memory is VERY important!
Remember that.

I also used to leave the running lights lit when idling at night so another driver could see me better while they're backin' in.
If I wasn't idling, but awake, and another driver was backin' in next to me, I'd turn the running lights on long enough for him to see better, then turn 'em off again.

If the other driver seemed to be having ANY trouble, by golly, I was outta my Big truck with my 5-cell Mag-Light --- to help him back and/or to see the light (if he hit by Big truck).
But I'm here to confess, I've never put another driver's lights out.
NopE.
Especially when, compared to them, I weigh an ounce.
In cases like that, the pound of cure can reign king. Not to mention, they might have a 6-cell Mag-Light.
Size matters.
But, I digress, .................................................. .................. a lot.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:41 PM

knighton5 is on a distinguished road

Take your chances if you like. When I was a newbie, I always looked for that truck stop. Now I'm experienced, and of course I plan ahead.... Stay away from where newbies go... Truck stops are good for FUEL and SHOWERS, then get out! I have givin truck stops enough money for there food and luxery items, no more! Again, when possible. Sometimes a truck stop is all you have. Park next to a respectable company driver or owner operator (when possible). Good luck and DRIVE SAFE