Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Layover's Lounge

Layover's Lounge Our local discussion forum where you can discuss just about anything that is related to the trucking industry.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:07 PM

angeleyes31 is on a distinguished road
Default Speeding Tickets

Well, I had the opportunity lately of getting a speeding ticket. Going 14 over the speed limit, and I got slapped with a $150 ticket.

I have never had a speeding ticket before. I am a reasonable and responsible driver. I just wasn't thinking this day. I seen the cop too late and got caught up in his speed trap.

My question is, how high have you had to pay for a speeding ticket if you got one recently, or in the past?

I just felt the speeding ticket was rather steep, but I don't really know how high they can go. I know if I do wrong, I do have to pay the price.

Thanks for your input!
Old 02-22-2009, 07:24 PM

davesoest is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Speeding Tickets

Thats not bad. My last one was near Jeferson city Mo. in a pick up, going 63 in a 55. It cost me $212.00 if I remember right. It was also one of those counties that the lawyers all told me would not work with you to reduce it to a non moving violation. They said it was higher because I had a cdl, even though I was in my pick up.....??
Old 02-22-2009, 08:07 PM

bigjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Angeleyes, if you have truly never had a speeding ticket before and have been driving for several years you can likely plead it down.

You will most likely need a lawyer for this and the fine for a lesser offense may be the same...but you have protected your CDL. I can't emphazise how important that is.

DO NOT PLEAD GUILTY AND JUST PAY THE FINE>

A couple years or so I got my first ticket in over 20 years. I did some research and found www.tixnix.com. You fill out some information and your profile is forwarded to local attorneys where you received the ticket.

They will review the facts of your case and contact you if they can help & also quote you a price. There is no obligation to retain an attorney.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Banned

toomegamisfedrvr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyes31 View Post
Well, I had the opportunity lately of getting a speeding ticket. Going 14 over the speed limit, and I got slapped with a $150 ticket.

I have never had a speeding ticket before. I am a reasonable and responsible driver. I just wasn't thinking this day. I seen the cop too late and got caught up in his speed trap.

My question is, how high have you had to pay for a speeding ticket if you got one recently, or in the past?

I just felt the speeding ticket was rather steep, but I don't really know how high they can go. I know if I do wrong, I do have to pay the price.

Thanks for your input!
I was just thinking..a couple of more days, when you're "not thinking"..might result in a couple of more $150 tickets..or even worse..crashing into some idiot that pulled out in front of you..(**it happens.)

A couple more tickets, like that, and you might be seeing America by Greyhound.

Bigjoe is right, of course....pay some dude good bucks..and it can make you look like a safe driver....kind of like Rodney Dangerfield....payed some college in Duluth, Mn. 64 bucks..and got a PHD diploma in psychology.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:14 PM

angeleyes31 is on a distinguished road

I was just wore out that morning. Had a stressful night the night before at work, didn't get much sleep, and had so much to do the following morning. Just not thinking about the speed limit signs. The cop even asked me if I was in a hurry, and I told him no, I just wasn't thinking. He said that is an honest response and he doesn't get much of those.

It was a wake up call to stay alert from now on and watch those speed limit signs.

I was in a bad car wreck a few years back, and the driver was speeding and plowed into me. It took me a year and a half to bounce back as my injuries were slow to heal, and a painful process to get back to normal again. I still have pain from that ordeal, but just have learned to live with it and move on now. So I am very careful about not doing that to someone else, as I would not want to put another driver through that type of pain and ordeal.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:41 PM

tween5and99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyes31 View Post
I was just wore out that morning.
"Wore out?" From the grammar guru?

Last edited by tween5and99; 02-23-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:00 PM

thomasfletcher is on a distinguished road

I have never had a speeding ticket in a truck. I drove for Swift and didn't have to worry about it...lol
Old 02-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Banned

toomegamisfedrvr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfletcher View Post
I have never had a speeding ticket in a truck. I drove for Swift and didn't have to worry about it...lol
The trucking industry is vast..and there is a place for nearly all of us that can survive.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:08 PM

kygirlntn is on a distinguished road

Sorry Angel, any ticket is bad news for our industry. But Bigjoe is right. Go to court, use resources but fight the ticket. That is a major moving violation and one you do not need on your record.

Most judges will work with truck drivers despite what you may hear. Present your spotless record prior to this and clarify that a ticket is damaging to your job and with the economy the way it is, you can't afford risk to your job.

Check rates before you obligate yourself to one of those get rid of tickets outfits. Sometimes you can do just as well by hiring a local attorney to work out a deal for you. I worked for ten years in law enforcement prior to trucking and I would feel comfortable taking my chances in front of the local judge.

p.s. do your homework hon...at what point did the speed change and how well were the signs posted? etc
Does make a difference. Good luck to you! Will be cheering you on.

kygirl
Old 02-23-2009, 12:19 PM

icantinaturner is on a distinguished road

I like Big Joe's idea, but it boils down to how many points are on your record right now and how many tickets you plan on getting in the future.

If you have no points and don't anticipate getting big point tickets in the future, you might be better off just paying it, saving yourself the hassle and chalking it up as one of those things.

On the other hand, if you get nailed again down the road and the total points push you into suspension/revocation, you might wish you had fought this ticket and kept those points off the record. It could be too late then. Oops!

Personally, I just went ahead and paid the tickets as I got them.

We do wish you luck.