Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Layover's Lounge

Layover's Lounge Our local discussion forum where you can discuss just about anything that is related to the trucking industry.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:13 PM

jimbo63 is on a distinguished road
Default split logging

hello every one this jimbo i am starting a new job next week finally.im gonna be running northeast and the midatlantic states.does anyone have any opinions on wether its better to split log or just run your eleven and take ten off.im asking becouse in the four years i have driven i dont ever remember having to split my log.ive look at how to do it online i almost think i understand it but it looks like it could get confusing the more you use it.i for one, and any body can tell me if im wrong but wouldnt it be easier just to take the xtra 2 hours and stayput for the solid ten hour sleepr.then you always have a solid ten hours to run.versus doing the split log where sometimes depnding how you do it you could have less hours available each time.the 2 hour split doesnt really give me much time to do anything it usually takes me that long to fall a sleep.so itd just be spent awake anyways.so to me i think drive 10 to 11 hours and take ten slper then that gives you a solid 11 hours back running and a fresh 14. id apreciate any advice from veteran drivers or anyone else that has done a lot of split logging and have any idea which is better to do.thanks jimbo
Old 05-25-2008, 01:30 AM

hhobo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to hhobo
Default Re: split logging

Personally, I take the whole 10 and sometimes more and forget the split. In the long run the split doesn't seem to gain you anything. Also you don't have to worry about mistakes and some DOT officer not understanding the rules either. It saves a lot of stress and confusion.

Just my opinion.

hhobo
Old 05-25-2008, 07:42 AM

wsyrob is on a distinguished road

The only time I have used it is at customer unloads longer than 2 hours. I have been doing a 1500 mile dedicated run from Greensboro to Holland Mi. Its a load of paint in a 3 compartment tank that takes at least 4 hours to unload. Split breaking over the unload time gets me home a couple of hours earlier on that run.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:29 AM

quidnunc is on a distinguished road

I used to split under the old rules, but now that they had to screw everything up by changing the logging rules it is difficult to utilize the split because one of the sleeper/off duty breaks has to be at least 8 hours, and the other two-hour break still counts against the 14-hour rule, so basically they almost force you to drive the whole 11 straight hours nowadays, regardless of how tired you are.

It used to be you could drive say 5 hours, sleep for 4, and do that indefinately until you hit your 70 hours in 8 days.

Again, I firmly believe the old way was much safer because you could use cat naps to your advantage. I mean, if you have to sleep for 8 hours anyhow, you might as well take the other two off right then and there and have a fresh 11 to run with.

The old rules served the industry well for something like 50 years, but the Zionist occupied government ( ZOG ) had to mess up a good thing like they always do.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:02 PM

icantinaturner is on a distinguished road

I definitely agree with the posts above. Under the new rules, taking a split break is almost useless and can mess you up if you miscalculate.

Other than the situation that Rob described, about the only instances it comes in handy is if you spend many hours getting loaded and then have to run a relatively short/fast trip. Hopefully, if you're stuck in a situation like that, you'll actually hit the sleeper berth and get some sleep rather than goofing off at the dock.

If I get stuck in a situation like that, I'll run the load, see where my log says I'm supposed to stop and sleep, consider my appointment time, then redo the entire log page to make it look like I took 8 hours at the dock. Yes, I know it's not "logging legal" but I take pride in delivering on time and if I can do it safely, I'll invest 5 minutes to redo the log page.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:15 PM

quidnunc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantinaturner View Post
If I get stuck in a situation like that, I'll run the load, see where my log says I'm supposed to stop and sleep, consider my appointment time, then redo the entire log page to make it look like I took 8 hours at the dock. Yes, I know it's not "logging legal" but I take pride in delivering on time and if I can do it safely, I'll invest 5 minutes to redo the log page.
Tell 'em.....That is why they invented loose-leaf log books.

But on a related side note, I have noticed lately when the authorities are going over my logs, they have often been requesting to see my fuel and toll receipts as well, to make sure they line up with what the log books say.

I am presuming that some sort of nationwide memo was sent out to all enforcement personnel, asking them to do this because they very rarely used to ask that of me in the past up until recently.