Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Layover's Lounge

Layover's Lounge Our local discussion forum where you can discuss just about anything that is related to the trucking industry.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:29 PM

bgmike8 is on a distinguished road
Default trucking jobs for felons?

hello. i am a felon and was wondering if there are opportunities for me to go to cdl school and work for a company.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:58 AM

icantinaturner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: trucking jobs for felons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmike8 View Post
hello. i am a felon and was wondering if there are opportunities for me to go to cdl school and work for a company.
Hi Mike (great name ) and welcome to Layover. It probably depends on the type of felony and how long ago you were convicted, but there are companies that will hire some felons. The felony might prevent you from pulling HAZMAT since Homeland Security now requires a background check. Not all companies need all drivers licensed for HM.

Another consideration, the employment situation is getting grim nationwide so expect the companies to get more selective as the pool of potential drivers increases. You have nothing to lose by applying online using something like the "find a driving job" feature here on Layover.

If I were applying, I'd follow up on the first nibble with a phone call and if that went well, I'd try to get a face to face meeting with the person doing the recruiting. I'd show up as "Mr. Clean cut," big smile, gut sukced in, good posture, with a haircut, shined shoes, no smoking, clean jeans, decent shirt with tats covered, plenty of "Yes Sir" and "No Sir" and "No Excuse Sir." I'd make sure to write down names and phone numbers, shake hands, and call back after the interview and thank them for the opportunity. We can always express our "inner self" and impress the troops around the truck stop after we are safely in the job and performing up to par, but first impressions count heavily with people who hire.

It always helps to learn something about the company you're applying for, mention that you've heard good things about them (lie a little if necessary) and that your life long dream has been to drive for an "elite company " (???) like "Ben Dover Trucking" (or whatever). I know I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know.

One thing is certain, I would never invest a dime of my own money without being prehired in writing by a company. If you're prehired, you have a job when you graduate. If you're not prehired, you run the risk of having a CDL in your wallet and no job. Prehired doesn't just mean some recruiter saying, "Oh we might hire you when you get a CDL." "Might" doesn't mean the same thing as "will"...

It doesn't take too much time for your CDL to get stale and for companies to lose interest in you, especially with the felony rap on your app. The object is to finish school and get behind the wheel in a training program ASAP.

This Mike wishes you BOL.

P.S. Did I mention getting prehired?

Old 12-18-2008, 01:54 PM

bgmike8 is on a distinguished road

my felony is a class four "lowest class here in illinois".possession of cannabis. clean driving record for 7 or 8 years. do you think that the recession will affect the industry so much?
Old 12-18-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmike8 View Post
my felony is a class four "lowest class here in illinois".possession of cannabis. clean driving record for 7 or 8 years. do you think that the recession will affect the industry so much?
We really need to legalize cannabis. That's probably a better felony to have on a record than something like aggravated assault or child molestation. Trucking companies have urinalysis to keep us straight.

Yes, this recession is going to impact on trucking. Darned near everything moves by truck at one time or another. When people buy less, trucks run less. I believe that hauling food and consumer staples is the place to be until this thing is over. Things will probably turn around in another year or two...
Old 12-21-2008, 10:08 AM

lady_j499 is on a distinguished road

[quote=icantinaturner;790761]We really need to legalize cannabis. That's probably a better felony to have on a record than something like aggravated assault or child molestation. Trucking companies have urinalysis to keep us straight.

IKE..i think I have possibly read your comment backwards or something..
There is NO way I would be comfortable with the legalization of cannabis for several reasons.

1. Would you be comfortable driving down the highway knowing everybody around you was impaired?

2. Would you be comfortable knowing that bills and responsibilities were being ignored cuz people were purchasing cannabis?

3. Would you be comfortable with teaching the younger generation that it's OK to escape to fantasy instead of real life situations?

4. Would you be comfortable knowing a particular 4 wheeler or bus driver, has your child in it, while the driver was impaired?

I dont know about you? But Im GLAD we have urinalysis tests for CDL holders and employees. Just think they should adminster them to the one's that sit at home and collect the Social Security check or Assistance Programs. Im tired of paying for druggies laying on the couch while I work my Arse Off!

Lady_J
Old 12-21-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
IKE..i think I have possibly read your comment backwards or something..
Perhaps you misread it, but I meant what I said. I don't intend this as a slam on you but we need an intelligent drug policy in this nation. I thought that the "J" in your username might make you more understanding.
Quote:
There is NO way I would be comfortable with the legalization of cannabis for several reasons.

1. Would you be comfortable driving down the highway knowing everybody around you was impaired?

There are few things on the planet that will impair driving more than booze. Booze is legal, cheap and available everywhere. The number of serious and fatal accidents involving booze is off the charts. I've driven drunk many times (really stupid, mostly in Europe, no accidents thank goodness) and I've driven high on grass. The difference between booze and grass is that the person high on grass is much more likely to get home safely.

The same could be said for physical violence and booze related violence is off the charts. Many people get nasty, lose control and get aggressive on booze and it doesn't take much for some. I don't think I've ever seen that behavior with cannabis.

Quote:
2. Would you be comfortable knowing that bills and responsibilities were being ignored cuz people were purchasing cannabis?
Huh? Americans have proven for years that it doesn't take substance abuse to make them act financially irresponsible. We lead the world in that and now average zero personal savings. The idea that everyone who uses cannabis -- which isn't addictive BTW -- will spend all their money on weed is crazy. Legalization would make it cheap or free if you have a little garden plot (happy gardening ). Of course legalization would mean loss taxes and profits on alcoholic beverages, so I'm not optimistic that it will happen nationwide.

Quote:
3. Would you be comfortable with teaching the younger generation that it's OK to escape to fantasy instead of real life situations?
The younger generation is quick to pick up on hypocrisy. They notice that mom/dad say that cannabis is horrible while they drink booze and take prescription drugs for everything. The downside of the scare tactics is that someday the kids might actually fire up a "J" and find out that nothing that mom/dad said was true. The kids didn't go nuts or get addicted. Hey, if mom/dad were wrong about that drug, maybe they're also wrong about crack, smack, meth, etc, so I'll try a little of that too. Oops! That stuff is seriously bad, but mom/dad blew their credibility, no?

I believe in being honest with kids, but I am hardly a model parent. I let my kids drink if they want to and I'd rather have them experiment at home. I first explain the legal, moral, health risks honestly to them. If they want a beer or glass of wine they can have it and it's not a big deal. Did they become alkies? Well of my three grown kids, two drink very rarely and one not at all. The two that are at home prefer soft drinks, lemonade and such, and might have a dozen beers/glasses of wine in a year because it's not "forbidden fruit' or an act of rebellion. They will comment on friends getting loaded to show off and they think it's ridiculous.

I also explain drugs to them and they know which ones are seriously bad. When my two oldest kids ( I was single parent then) expressed in interest in trying cannabis, we fired up at home. We were in Germany at the time and hash was the most available form. Did they become stoners? Hardly, because it wasn't forbidden fruit or a big deal. Oddly enough, they have rarely smoked as adults and didn't progress to other drugs...

I'm not saying that my way is the right way, but there is a lot of ignorance about substance abuse out there. IMHO, if we BS the younger generation, try to scare them and forbid the use of some substances, many will rebel and then we do have a problem.

On "reality", there are many ways to avoid it and they don't even have to involve the abuse of any substance. We have TV, talk radio, and organized religion, right?

One reality is that the moderate use (like moderation in anything) of cannabis is relatively harmless and far less harmless than using booze.

Going to jail over cannabis can wreck your life. We are incarcerating a large segment of our population for something that is relatively harmless. It costs us $25K+ to keep a person in prison and that money could be better spent in a zillion ways. While in the joint, some learn other criminal skills. Combine that with a record, reduced employment opportunities and what do we gain??? Our "war on drugs' is a complete and expensive failure. Bigmike's post illustrates my point.

Quote:
4. Would you be comfortable knowing a particular 4 wheeler or bus driver, has your child in it, while the driver was impaired?
Again, I'd rather they be impaired by cannabis than by booze. I try to face the reality that humans are fallible and all will goof up on occassion. I also try not to get uncomfortable about things beyond my control.

Quote:
I dont know about you? But Im GLAD we have urinalysis tests for CDL holders and employees. Just think they should adminster them to the one's that sit at home and collect the Social Security check or Assistance Programs. Im tired of paying for druggies laying on the couch while I work my Arse Off!
I totally agree about urinalysis. It is the one thing proven to keep most people relatively straight. There are three instances where I disapprove of the use of cannabis:

- When there is a chance of losing your livelihood as in trucking. I've never touched the stuff since I've had a CDL. The same goes for booze and mouthwash containing alcohol. I won't even have a beer if there is a chance that I'll drive a truck within the next 24 hours. Our CDL BAC limit is much too low and it's not worth the risk. Color me paranoid.

- When there is a chance of getting caught and wrecking our lives. Jail is harmful to our health and our family.

- When we are enforcing the law. I've spent about 20 odd years in law enforcement (civ/mil) and it would be hypocritical of me to use it and bust you. Now the truth is, you had to be incredibly dumb for me to catch you with cannabis. I would go out of my way to act as if I didn't know what was going on (you in possession) or to cut you some slack without acknowledging that I knew you were in possession. Sometimes it was comical and I'm sure that some people are still telling their grandkids about the "dumbest cop" on the planet. But it is a stupid law and I chose not to enforce it when I could enforce more serious offenses. Would you rather have me tied up for an hour or two busting and processing some person with a little weed or would you prefer me to nail a burglar/car thief in your neighborhood or respond to an emergency at your house?

The truth is, if a cop strongly suspects that a person is in possession and doesn't enforce the law, it could be "misprision of a felony" and the cop is actually breaking the law. Oops! Career ender...

So, Ms J, pardon the rant but I get wound up when cannabis myths are flying about. Thinking about this makes me consider scoring a little grass and firing up now that I have nothing to lose. You might want to try some yourself when you quit driving. Woo hoo!

Old 12-21-2008, 01:44 PM

2mega is on a distinguished road

ike presents a very valid and effective argument, as usual.

I have never used recreational drugs, except alcohol, so I am no authority on them..and I think I, too, would like to see them legal..and controlled as alcohol is.

I witnessed (hearsay) the prolific use of drugs by our military during the Viet Nam era and the breakdown of discipline, often resulting in"fragging"..especially of officers.

I purchased automobiles, manufactured in Detroit with inferior workmanship from assembly line workers strung out on drugs..( cannibas ?)

I saw a whole generation of disheveled youth wandering aimlessly and shamelessly unproductive to themselves or anyone else.

The body dissipates alcohol at a rate of @ one oz. per hour, and regulating it's use is becoming more effective all the time.

If ike and I drove "under the influence of alcohol" in the past..we sure wouldn't do it now..because consequences are devastating..and rightfully so.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:13 PM

blacksheepdawg is on a distinguished road

For an interesting and informative read,
Google
Jack Herer
and/or
The Emperor Wears No Clothes.

OH!
And bring a snack in case y'all get the
munchies.

BTW, and a tad off subject, but Horse used to
consume a bale-0-grass a week ---
that is, 'till he discovered Old Grand Dad.
Now-a-daze Horse prefers (distilled) grain.
Preferably from Kentucky.
Bottoms UP!
Old 12-21-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
ike presents a very valid and effective argument, as usual.
I dunno 'bout that...
Quote:
I have never used recreational drugs, except alcohol, so I am no authority on them..and I think I, too, would like to see them legal..and controlled as alcohol is.
Use nicotine, 2mega? Both alcohol and nicotine are deadlier than cannabis. Personally, I'd just as soon see cannabis decriminalized rather than legalized, but the gummint would want to tax it. We really can't control alcohol, nicotie or cannabis all tha much now, but I guess it is a noble effort when it comes to use by the youngsters.
Quote:
I witnessed (hearsay) the prolific use of drugs by our military during the Viet Nam era and the breakdown of discipline, often resulting in"fragging"..especially of officers.
Yep, it's hearsay and there were supposedly 230 documented fraggings during the whole war. The leaders who were fragged were unpopular and incompetent or perceived to be that way by the enlisted guys.

The nearest thing I saw to one was when someone tossed a baseball CS grenade into a "lifer hooch" as a warning. Some of our "lifers" (E6 and up) wouldn't leave the cantonment area at night, but they'd sure send out the junior guys then awaken the junior guys during the day to "police the brass" in the gun jeeps...

The idea that our guys all walked around RVN in a drug induced stupor is nonsense. Yes, grass was everywhere(even ready rolled and packaged as cigarettes but with only 18 - 19 joints to the pack and for 2 bucks...) and some played with opium deriviatives (never met one of those dumba$$es) but in the units that I was in, peer pressure meant that you didn't get high when it was time to work. That stuff got people hurt.

Quote:
I purchased automobiles, manufactured in Detroit with inferior workmanship from assembly line workers strung out on drugs..( cannibas ?)
That's another common myth but I suspect that the most likely cause of bad cars was lousy quality control and the dreaded "Monday" or "Friday" cars. When I worked for GM long ago, the joke was that Monday cars were made by people still hungover and sleepy from the weekend. Friday cars are made by people thinking of doing it again.
Quote:
I saw a whole generation of disheveled youth wandering aimlessly and shamelessly unproductive to themselves or anyone else.
You can still see them today if we look around. Nothing is new about that. Sloppy drunks (young and old) have been around since booze was invented.
Quote:
The body dissipates alcohol at a rate of @ one oz. per hour, and regulating it's use is becoming more effective all the time.
It is? I haven't seen any evidence of regulating alcoholic intake unless someone really wanted to.
Quote:
If ike and I drove "under the influence of alcohol" in the past..we sure wouldn't do it now..because consequences are devastating..and rightfully so.
I probably wouldn't do it now because I have much to lose and I know the consequences. When I did it, I never forgot that my judgment, vision, reaction time and physical ability were always impaired. I also knew that cops watch for weaving cars, cars driven way over/under speed limits and maybe those who lurch was over the limit lines at intersections so I never got caught. My buddies always told me I was a "great drunk driver," but what do drunks know?

I stopped altogether when I high-centered my car(in Stuttgart at about 0300) on some streetcar tracks... at what I thought was a 5-way intersection. I was only a 4-way for cars and I knew I was going to jail when 4 street cars were stopped because of my. I didn't, but I realize that I could have had a serious accident and even injured/killed my teen daughter. It was way past time to stop that carp.

The bottom line is that there is a lot of myth floating around about cannabis use and that's no accident. Describing the sensation is like trying to tell Mother Teresa about sex.

It's pretty neat, but not something I want to do all the time. What I like is that I can go from high to pretty darned straight in an instant and you'd have a rough time telling if I had just used it. It's also a nicer high than booze, I can focus when I want to (boy can you focus) and I don't think I've ever met someone who got really nasty aggressive on grass. It is much more fun to be around tokers than nasty boozers and I hate hangovers.

Truth is, we'd
(pun) be much better off if we stuck with weed and never invented alcoholic beverages. We'd have lower crime rates but homely people would miss out on getting lucky at closing time.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheepdawg View Post
For an interesting and informative read,
Google
Jack Herer
and/or
The Emperor Wears No Clothes.

OH!
And bring a snack in case y'all get the
munchies.

Good reading, Art. Thanks for the tip. Makes my eyes red just reading that.