Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Layover's Lounge

Layover's Lounge Our local discussion forum where you can discuss just about anything that is related to the trucking industry.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:53 PM

tubthumper is on a distinguished road
Question what about Knight Transportation

Hi all. I have a ?? about Knight Transportation. I am thinking of leaving my home job (locksmith)(cheap boss who wont fix or stock anything and no pay raises for any employee for 5 years) to go drive for Knight. I have read nothing but good things, and 98% of the drivers I talked to said nothing but good about them. I was wondering if anyone has something other to consider before I take the plunge back into the trucking world. I sure miss it and want to be back on the road after 10 years. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:25 AM

icantlogin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: what about Knight Transportation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubthumper View Post
Hi all. I have a ?? about Knight Transportation. I am thinking of leaving my home job (locksmith)(cheap boss who wont fix or stock anything and no pay raises for any employee for 5 years) to go drive for Knight. I have read nothing but good things, and 98% of the drivers I talked to said nothing but good about them. I was wondering if anyone has something other to consider before I take the plunge back into the trucking world. I sure miss it and want to be back on the road after 10 years. Thanks.
Hi, Tub, and welcome to Layover.

If you've heard mostly good stuff about Knight, why would you be concerned with the opinion of the 2% that dislikes the company? I'd be far more concerned about whether or not they'd even hire me after being off the road for so long. Ten years!!!

Do you have a job offer from Knight? Better jump on it.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:19 PM

perrylane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
[B]Welcome, tubthumper,
Most of what you are going to find here is questions of why you would even consider driving a truck in the first place.
Things like,you will be working for minimum wages, no home time,bad dispatchers, bad equipment, etc etc.
I went to their web site and they do have training company, called Squire Transportation. they pay you 350.00 a week for 4 to 6 weeks of training.

All I would say is do some more research on them.If you feel comfortable with them, give it a try, because you have to get your feet wet somewhere.[/B

Silverfox
Old 07-02-2010, 08:39 AM

tubthumper is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the welcome perrylane, and icantlogin. As far as job offers we are in the talk stage. I realize i would need retrained and don't have a problem with that at all. The other 2% i was just wondering if there was any of the famous "your fired leave the truck where it is and leave" situations going on, and stuff like that. I'm just looking a good company with good bene's and decent pay that will hire out the northwest. Trying to make the best possible, most informed choice. I figured that this would be the best place to get real time info about them. Many thanks.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:59 AM

icantlogin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome perrylane, and icantlogin. As far as job offers we are in the talk stage. I realize i would need retrained and don't have a problem with that at all. The other 2% i was just wondering if there was any of the famous "your fired leave the truck where it is and leave" situations going on, and stuff like that. I'm just looking a good company with good bene's and decent pay that will hire out the northwest. Trying to make the best possible, most informed choice. I figured that this would be the best place to get real time info about them. Many thanks.
Ah, I can see where you're coming from. The only gripe I've heard about Knight is that they have cut pay and that isn't unusual in this cutthroat economy.

As for firing/leaving the truck where it is, I believe that could very well happen with any company under the right circumstances. Admit it, there are many decent drivers out there but there is also a percentage that probably have no business being behind the wheel of a big truck, have zero common sense, can't function without adult supervision, etc, etc.

When I hear the horror stories, I always try to consider the source because the offending "supertrucker" is probably going to lie like hell. I believe about 2% of what I hear from a truckers lips.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:16 PM

perrylane is on a distinguished road

[B]Tubthumper,
Any company you work for will require you to be a professional. As long as you are On Time with your pick ups and deliveries you should have no problems getting fired.

I have never heard of anyone being told to leave the truck where it is. It could have happened, but i never heard anyone say that . Usually they will route you to a terminal, if they want you gone.

If you follow their routes, and fuel stops, be on time as i said, no problems should arrise.

Like Icantlogin said, most of the drivers that complain don't need to be driving a truck to start with.

One of the best things to have is patience, and a lot of it.

Because you are on the west coast, I would say not to even look at C R England. They have a bad reputation of ripping drivers off with their lease program.

good luck,

Silverfox
Old 08-27-2010, 11:47 PM

wallyg8tor is on a distinguished road

Just finished driving for Knight from March 2006 to April 2010, I liked the company but you have to be aggressive and businesslike to be successful there. It's a company more for the experienced and less timid drivers. Newbies in trucking and those who don't stand up for themselves drop like flies, some getting less than a 1000 miles a week. My last year I was averaging around 3500 miles aweek. The year before I averaged 4275 a week. But I was very aggresive and a very big a-hole when I needed 2 b. With the exception of last year I ran 3 weeks on 1 week off, last year 5 weeks out and 1 week off, the 1st year I ran 10 days out 10 days off. The company is very flexible and the more experience and trucking knoiwledge the more you can get away with and more miles given. However, now they are on electronic logs and not sure how that pans out. But no matter what you have to have business savvy and the attitude that your driver manager works for you and not you working for him, or you'll be like half the Knight drivers and be sitting several days a week at a terminal complaing about averaging 1200 miles a week. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:44 AM

orenthalrome is on a distinguished road

I worked for Knight Transportation for 4 years. I can honestly say move along. The company it once was is no longer there. It seemed the changes came overnight with the office turn over is very high, the benfits and pay are not as high as they once were. They asked a good friend of mine to take a pay cut or give up his dedicated route, so they could find someone else. I left for 4 months and when i came back it was like a different company. Its also who you know there as well. In the office there are alot of individuals who got there jobs because there brother works there or there daddy is a big shot at another terminal. (they will remind you of this) We used to have cookouts once in awhile at the spur of the moment that changed. They stopped doing alot of small things that made the driver feel as if they belonged. The equipment is good I will give them that but unless tis a major issue they will not fix it. If your 12 volt goes out in the bunk and you just had service you have to fix it yourself or wait till your next service date. I dont know what terminal you would be out of but if you want to tell us I can tell you if thats a good place to run out of if it is KC or Chicago stay away!