Truck Driver and Trucking Forums

Go Back   Truck Driver and Trucking Forums > Trucking Forums > Layover's Lounge

Layover's Lounge Our local discussion forum where you can discuss just about anything that is related to the trucking industry.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:10 PM

jimcat63 is on a distinguished road
Default will any carrier hire someone with a felony?

Can anyone tell me if any carrier will hire someone whose graduated from truck driving school with a 11 year old felony?. Very clean driving record, perfect employment record. Given the okay by TSA for a Hazmat endorsement.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:38 PM

davesoest is on a distinguished road
Default Re: will any carrier hire someone with a felony?

If I were you Id be really pissed. There is no way your going to find a job right now. That school should have told you that up front, but I guess anything to make a buck.. Sorry man... Dave
Old 02-23-2009, 09:11 PM

angeleyes31 is on a distinguished road

It does seem like all employers these days are running background checks to see if the potential new hire has had a criminal record or any judgement against him/her.

When my company was hiring last year, we came across some interesting candidates, one was arrested for exposing himself to females and one had credit card theft, so their applications were shredded. We just could not take on the liability that these situations could be bothersome.

It depends on what you have done and how the employer feels about it and if he/she can accept it. Trucking companies frown upon DUI/DWI and drug convictions, and accidents.

You may want to check out TheCheckeredPast Post, and this was addressed in there. Some found jobs with a felon record and some struggled with it.

I do also agree these trucking schools are just like car salesmen, forgetting to tell you some important factors that you could find yourself stranded after taking the plunge. I guess they will say anything to make a sale these days.

Last edited by angeleyes31; 02-23-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:13 PM

Well, I'm not happy about it that's for sure! and I still owe thousands of dollars with NO WAY of paying. What messes with me the most (besides owing the $$) is that I have to be somewhat nice to them so they'll try and "place" me with a carrier. I'm not expecting a whole lot, But I got to remain positive. The school's in Rialto, California

Last edited by jimcat63; 02-23-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:11 AM

mdtruker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mdtruker Send a message via Yahoo to mdtruker

Again another felon looking for a trucking job. Notice he doesnt say what sort of crime he committed.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:04 AM

bigjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtruker View Post
Again another felon looking for a trucking job. Notice he doesnt say what sort of crime he committed.

They never say.

Used to there were plenty of good men that were top notch drivers out here but these days trucking only attracts criminals and other dregs of society.

I'm really tired of it.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:22 AM

sealord is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Felony Hire?

What may be more important than what the offense was, is when was probation satisfied. It's my understanding most companies won't hire a felon until ten years have passed from completion of probation. BOL
Old 02-24-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtruker View Post
Let me ask you a very simple question, "MD TRUKER" and you too "BIG JOE" Have you ever drove a car, pick-up truck, Big rig, drunk or ever hit someone in a fight or took drugs that wasn't yours or smoked pot or took something that wasn't yours? Of Course you haven't!!! Ladies and Gentleman of the Layover forum and people of our great nation. I give to you the two "so called Men" of the world and out of ALL the people born into this world without sin. They've walked through this world without doing anything that the law would consider a felony. Well let me tell you "BOYS" something, you just haven't got caught yet. However, I can't help but feel compassion for you two, and people like you, who sit so high up with master minds so far above us all. What goes up must come down. It's just a matter of time, when that happens and it will, may God have the same mercy you've given to people with felonies.

Last edited by jimcat63; 02-24-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:03 PM

tween5and99 is on a distinguished road

Jimcat, the answer to your question is: they'll all hire felons. Regardless of what their "rules" are, if they need drivers badly enough, they'll hire almost anybody.

The problem (for you) at the moment is that none of them are hurting for drivers. You face a very steep climb because of that.

As for your "everyone has committed a felony or two," theory... you can certainly throw me on that pile.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:58 PM

tween5and99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Used to there were plenty of good men that were top notch drivers out here but these days trucking only attracts criminals and other dregs of society.
I guess you can chalk it up to my steadily faltering memory - but I seem to recall a good number of "dregs;" even back when. And some really good folks too - no doubt! I remember my second load (flatbed) eh... booooooooring.